Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm confused by this 'outplayed' and 'probably didn't deserve to win' narrative.

First quarter was pretty 50/50.
We had a stronger second quarter.
They had a dominant third quarter but we still managed to put scoreboard pressure on.
We won the final quarter.

Go and look at the stat graphic right before the incredible Newcombe goal. Scores from all sources were basically even for the entire game to that point.

The Dockers only had 5 players with 20 or more disposals. The most being 23.
We had 4 with 2 players having 24.

Aside from them doing the classic Freo 'chip it around in D50 to get Luke Ryan some Supercoach points' game style, there was no real statistical outlier that would suggest they were the better team aside from the scoreboard.

We were better for longer when it mattered, in the final quarter. We have the 4 points to prove it.

I'm with you. It was an even game. There wasn't more than a couple of goals or so between the teams for the entire game. Freo had periods where they controlled it and their forwards were dominating (playing well in front) with space inside 50. We struggled forward with poor inside 50 entries (very frustrating) and I think we struggled a bit with loose ball gets again which the team will need to improve to beat Collingwood. Sicily forward and the midfield lifting won the game.

They outplayed us for most of the game
Not sure about that. We controlled the last quarter and a good portion of the 2nd quarter. Even early in the game I thought we were on top, Moore hits Mackenzie at the top of the square we have the first 2 goals

That was a steal. Let’s be honest about it. We were chasing the ball all afternoon with the exception of two bursts in the second and last quarters. If you looked at the stats you would think we got rolled by 30-40. They had 27 more marks than we did. It was won through smart coaching, some fortune and the inability of Freo to capitalise on their dominance. You don’t complain about wins but I hope we also don’t think that we played to a high standard today. They need to keep working on the game plan and pressure intensity if we are going to improve.
What stats? We won contested possessions, clearances. Inside 50s was 42-45. Game felt pretty even to me.

I'm confused by this 'outplayed' and 'probably didn't deserve to win' narrative.

They had a dominant third quarter but we still managed to put scoreboard pressure on.

Go and look at the stat graphic right before the incredible Newcombe goal. Scores from all sources were basically even for the entire game to that point.

Aside from them doing the classic Freo 'chip it around in D50 to get Luke Ryan some Supercoach points' game style, there was no real statistical outlier that would suggest they were the better team aside from the scoreboard.

We were better for longer when it mattered, in the final quarter. We have the 4 points to prove it.
Some people are just Uber-negative sooks who aren’t happy unless they’re whining about something…

That's the thing with Meek, even when he gets his colours lowered (marginal but I think Jackson was better today) he still contributes to the side winning. He's not pretty but like a sledgehammer he is effective.

For me having Meek as our number 1 ruck has been one of the biggest factors in our turn around from last year.
Meek did not have his colours lowered. He won the ruck battle, go to the Freo board and they are lamenting how much Meek brutalised Jackson in the ruck. Definitely one of the big reasons we won.

Oh it was close for sure but Freo seemed to have ascendency in the air and were just marking it so much more easily than us and their forwards were excellent. In a tight game I thought they definitely had the edge. Their mids were also doing better I thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about that. We controlled the last quarter and a good portion of the 2nd quarter. Even early in the game I thought we were on top, Moore hits Mackenzie at the top of the square we have the first 2 goals
They were in front for the majority and controlled general play. It was a good win from us but it was theirs to lose until pretty much the last quarter where we were the clear better side.

Saying we were in control dismisses as much good work as saying we should have lost. We were challenged in a big way and overcame it.

We won that on guts and attitude. Individually few of our players were at their best. So many skills errors and poor decisions. Lots to work with.
Beat the Pies and we will sneak into 8th.
And belief. The middle tier lifted.
They bought energy.

And FFS it was Frosty who bites the bullet… takes it on and opens the door for us. 😂

Hoping Nashy signs on. The guy is massive for us. He’s a fearless bulldozer

Last edited:
That's the thing with Meek, even when he gets his colours lowered (marginal but I think Jackson was better today) he still contributes to the side winning. He's not pretty but like a sledgehammer he is effective.

For me having Meek as our number 1 ruck has been one of the biggest factors in our turn around from last year.

Jackson cracked the Supercoach ton during the third quarter. He finished on 116.
Meek was on 55 as Jackson passed 100 then finished on 104.

That's how big Meek was for the last quarter and a bit of the game.

51 hitouts. Huge.

Triple M gave 3 votes to Meek and 2 to Jackson for what its worth..

Hopefully this sinks the narrative of "hawks can't beat a team in the top 8". We actually did - they just fell out of it afterwards.

Can't wait for the now-standard "Freo just didn't play up to their usual standard" bleating from the usual suspects in the media 🙄

Bloody hell I'm proud of this team! Thanks for all the updates on BF everyone, I'll be watching the replay later tonight!

Hopefully this sinks the narrative of "hawks can't beat a team in the top 8". We actually did - they just fell out of it afterwards.

Can't wait for the now-standard "Freo just didn't play up to their usual standard" bleating from the usual suspects in the media 🙄

Bloody hell I'm proud of this team! Thanks for all the updates on BF everyone, I'll be watching the replay later tonight!
I did think this at times to be honest. We made a lot of mistakes throughout the game, they set up their D50 really well and we consistently gave it straight to them. They looked like a team loaded with weapons who were often afraid to take the game on, strange tactics by them at times.

Oh and btw , that was out first top 4 scalp since downing the pies and lions in 23 . Cant wait to see how we look when McCabe is holding down a spot. We couldnt get any relief “down the line” marks at all
edit... don't worry you mentioned the pies and lions

Meek obviously huge
Newk, Day, Nash did well

On Sis forward, I think this brings better balance. He is an outstanding pack and contested mark. Chol and Dear are both more either lead up or jump on a pack types. I’d consider to leave him forward with Serong back instead of Gunston.

I also thought Ward was excellent in the first half. His defensive pressure was great and he had real intensity in his chases. Not sure if he got a job in the second half, but didn’t notice him as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back