Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to say who are good or bad sides at the moment given how even it is from 2 to 13. I think none of the sides in that logjam are easy beats.

Personally I think Brisbane, the Doggies and Freo are all top eight sides. All three should be pushing for top four.

Freo was good enough to knock Sydney off so I’m more than happy we got their scalp today. I think our win against the Lions doesn’t get the credit it deserves from the ‘but who have they beat?’ mob also considering the Lions had put 160+ on Richmond the week before.

Hopefully this sinks the narrative of "hawks can't beat a team in the top 8". We actually did - they just fell out of it afterwards.

Can't wait for the now-standard "Freo just didn't play up to their usual standard" bleating from the usual suspects in the media

Bloody hell I'm proud of this team! Thanks for all the updates on BF everyone, I'll be watching the replay later tonight!
I'm not sure where this is coming from.

The majority of media chat about the hawks (since round 6 or 7) has been extremely positive this year. Almost over the top!!

Kingy makes his calls and won't budge but that's his gambit. I thought Healy and Dwayne were fine today. Both had plenty of praise.

They are allowed to praise freo too you know, and they are also a bloody exciting team.

Jon Ralph has penned two of the most glowing pro hawks fluff pieces I've read in years in the past couple of months and people still hate on him.

Ive found that the complaints from hawks fans about 'narratives' and 'agendas' had been louder than the actual criticism from the media this year.

It was a very high quality game with elite pressure from both sides and the majority of commentary was positive.

I've loved listening to the media this year. Sam has them eating out if his hand

Every week the CD player rating system throws numbers I just can't understand.

Neither Meek nor Jackson had games considered above average. Meek's game was considered statistically worse than Fyfe's 9.7 to 10.4. Meek with 3 contested marks, 6 score launches and 51 hit outs was the 17th highest rated player on the ground.

The majority of media chat about the hawks (since round 6 or 7) has been extremely positive this year. Almost over the top!!

Kingy makes his calls and won't budge but that's his gambit. I thought Healy and Dwayne were fine today. Both had plenty of praise.

They are allowed to praise freo too you know, and they are also a bloody exciting team.

Jon Ralph has penned two of the most glowing pro hawks fluff pieces I've read in years in the past couple of months and people still hate on him.

Ive found that the complaints from hawks fans about 'narratives' and 'agendas' had been louder than the actual criticism from the media this year.

It was a very high quality game with elite pressure from both sides and the majority of commentary was positive.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Didn’t mean the media I more meant online commentariot on social media. I’ve seen a lot of responses to the media talk decrying that we haven’t beaten any top sides.

Freo was good enough to knock Sydney off so I’m more than happy we got their scalp today. I think our win against the Lions doesn’t get the credit it deserves from the ‘but who have they beat?’ mob also considering the Lions had put 160+ on Richmond the week before.
If you go by percentage we've beaten 4 of the top 7 teams!

Was fox at the game?

I think Billy knows a fair bit more about football than he lets on.

And I reckon he was probably right with his votes as well.
Cameras were at the game.

Whether the commentators were at the ground or in a Melbourne studio I'm not sure.

In listening to the game I'm pretty sure that it was a fair bit of a piss around from everyone involved. Brownless was scoffed at for picking Meek, but it's reflected on the rest of the commentary team that it couldn't be refuted. None of them could pick players on the far side of the field including the person who couldn't tell the difference between Amon and Impey on more than one occasion.

To the down thumbs, it was a question, not an opinion.
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the down thumbs, it was a question, not an opinion.

Don't let it get to you, it's a tough board some times. I'm one of those hard-arses but I reckon I can hear in your post you weren't bringing malicious intent to your question.
I get what you were trying to throw out there, which is really - has our game style and performance changed in way that doesn't suit Lewis being a focal point for the team, and perhaps we'll be more successful that way for the immediate future......

I don't actually disagree.
Not that I don't think we can be EVEN better with Mitch, but work on patterns and synergy between the forwards will take time to get to that point. That aint happening so late in this season.
This season, I actually DO believe we're better with the setup were running with minus Mitch.
It's a crappy feeling to have because I love the big fella and he was clearly a shining light when we were shite. But he's a ball dominant leading or hand-in-the-air fella that doesn't really work in great sequences with the other talls.

When everyone else was calling his return a lock, and I suggested he was more a chance, it was because I've never really believed he had returned to full fitness. Not just fitness either, but more importantly strength through his core and legs to provide stability to prevent further injury.

And I've got zero idea why you'd play him when this is still a development year for the team, as he was a clear risk to re-injure himself. And not the same risk every player faces, a far far far higher risk because of his wretched run with injuries and regular break downs at simple raising of loads and training.

The kid should have continued to play a half here and there in the VFL, with a rest week in between, over the remainder of the season at Box Hill, had a couple months off at the end, done a shit tonne of yoga and strengthening in the early off season, and then come back for a fresh pre-season.

I'm not a questioner of our Club's methodology re rehabilitating players, but it was clear as ****ing day that everyone within the coaching ranks would have been holding their breath at him lining up for the game against the Cats, instead of being supremely confident he was 100% ready for what was to come.

We were smart enough with Chad to know he hadn't cleared the injury bug, should have done similarly IMO with Lewis.

Last edited:
Really need Mitch Lewis to be fit for a continuous period of time to really make a call on it. Won't know until late 2025 now
Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it in a mean spirited way, it's not really the best way to phrase it. Even if a player is downright awful it's a win for no one for them to do their ACL. Not good for the club given we have to change plans for a bloke who is in our leadership group and has a list spot and salary tied up with him, it's not good for his mates at the club who would be gutted for him, not good for the fans who love seeing Mitch out there and above all it's certainly not good for Mitch given he's been dealing with injury frustration for years, is now going to miss 12+ months of a very fleeting peak in his career as an AFL footy player in addition to not being able to practice his biggest hobby in golf. Pretty crappy thing all round.

There's a tendency to treat injuries and other things like we're switching players in and out of a Supercoach side, but these are all real people and the stakes are much higher. Always important to remember.

Sic fwd makes it hard for Gunner to find a spot.
Not sure he stays there. I like Sic being thrown forward but he isn't as impactful when the opposition can plan for him.

I've loved listening to the media this year. Sam has them eating out if his hand

It's pointless exercise until the season is over as it's so even across the board. Right now there are no easy beats amongst that group, and that says more then enough.

One of the commentators today mentioned that Freo could move up to second, or drop out of the eight entirely based on the games this weekend. Crazy to think that could happen this late into the season.

Edit: and Saints even knocked off Sydney last week.

Last edited:
Sic fwd makes it hard for Gunner to find a spot.

Sic was struggling down back. He has to play there if his shoulder is up to the challenge.

Though for next week I suppose that's purely a matchup issue. Pies aren't running too many tall forwards at the moment, so I could see him, Weddle and Hardwick all being thrown forward at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back