List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been kicked off of any negotiations with Richmond players and have been told to focus on other things. (AFAIK Baker and Bolton have at the very least a strained relationship)

Not overly happy with the situation.

I will be involved in trade negotiations of other players both outgoing and any potential incoming but my whole board has been thrown about hence me being so busy.

I'll give the full run down 2 days post draft.

Hope everyone enjoys their week, as you can expect i've had a very busy day so far with meetings.

I'll give people a couple of positives
1. Baker is a real team player and exudes leadership and intensity.
2. I think Graham will be a better pickup for the club than most here think and will be a better pickup for the club than Baker in regards to team balance and midfield rotations.

"Pick 13 is the starting point" quite obviously means it's what Richmond will ask for, not what we will just hand over.

I wonder if the club should use this to go and ask the AFL for a priority pick that would get the deal done. Decent way for them to help two struggling clubs at once without giving up nearly as much as they did to north.
I was wondering if WC will go that way...get the same deal as North....2 end of 1st rounders use one of them in the Baker trade

But he’s not a free agent, he’s out of contract now as you say. So we’d be relying on him signing a one year deal with Richmond, which is already unlikely enough even if you ignore that they’d never want to keep him on as a one year rental knowing he’s not in their mid term plans. Then he walks for nothing rather than getting them some assets back now, so even less reason for the Tigers to help him reach FA.

There’s a 0% chance we could just wait a year and get him as a FA.
But we can just sit on our hands and wait till the final day of trade period....with a F2 on the table or at best our pick 23....
he wants home and is uncontracted....West Coast just need to hold tight. Or ask for a couple of late 1st priority picks like norf and use one of those.

I can see merit in your ideas. I'm a bit iffy on Bolton as he would be an upgrade on Ryan, Brockman and Hewett rather than giving us anything different. If one of those guys could fill a spot on the wing or even an attacking half back then perhaps it could work, though I do hope Hewett can get his foot right and become a proper midfielder.

I just hope we strike the right balance between ready made and future, and offense and defense.
We don't know about Hewitt yet, I suspect WCE see him as not for trade. As for Bolton, more of a cherry on top sort of player who can provide the x-factor in a good team. I just don't think he is the right fit just now given we are rebuilding. Plus he comes at too high a price.

Looking at a possible worst case scenario that may still be somewhat good for us.

Pick 3 and some extras for Baker+10.

Now before people freakout, 10 and 13 will ensure us TT and Lindsay.

Whilst these two aren't star mid prospects, they still provide us with much needed outside speed, good footskills and drive off the wing and out the backline.

TT starts in defence and Lindsay on the wing, while Baker plays full time mid for us.

While not ideal, we need to have 2 picks in the top 20 and this may be the only way to do it.

TT, Lindsay and Baker is still pretty good tbh.

Looking at a possible worst case scenario that may still be somewhat good for us.

Whilst these two aren't star mid prospects, they still provide us with much needed outside speed, good footskills and drive off the wing and out the backline.

TT starts in defence and Lindsay on the wing, while Baker plays full time mid for us.

While not ideal, we need to have 2 picks in the top 20 and this may be the only way to do it.

10 is very unlikely to get Travaglia, but I’d be very happy with him and Lindsay

2. I think Graham will be a better pickup for the club than most here think and will be a better pickup for the club than Baker in regards to team balance and midfield rotations.
100% agree with Graham, people are too quick to dismiss him as a slow fringe player. He can do a defensive midfield role that we lack and he is clearly AFL quality. Its just not a sexy addition

I have been kicked off of any negotiations with Richmond players and have been told to focus on other things. (AFAIK Baker and Bolton have at the very least a strained relationship)

Not overly happy with the situation.

I will be involved in trade negotiations of other players both outgoing and any potential incoming but my whole board has been thrown about hence me being so busy.

I'll give the full run down 2 days post draft.

Hope everyone enjoys their week, as you can expect i've had a very busy day so far with meetings.

Any idea whether the club has inquired about some priority assistance? By all rights we should be getting what Norf got in 2022 which would solve the whole Baker situation and give us another pick to use on some other mature talent that can't get consistent games.

As long as TT actually makes it to pick 10. Hes no guarantee to make it.
Saints getting band 1 compo may affect where TT lands

If we turned 3 into TT and Baker id be good with it tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's happening, now to work out the best trade.

3 23 for 6 21 and baker.
Tigers wouldnt agree to this unfortunately :(
Barrass F3 for 13 and F1st

Hawks F1 for 19 and sheldrick

Draft
6 13 19 21 champion

Bring in
Graham
Baker
Sheldrick

2025 F1 F2 F4 in tact.
Would be a fantastic offseason if this is what ended up happening

3 23 for 6 21 and baker.

Draft
6 13 19 21 champion

Bring in
Graham
Baker
Sheldrick

2025 F1 F2 F4 in tact.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't mind that at all but we'd have to be tougher at the trade table than we have for a long time for that to eventuate

Baker will NOT be around for Richmond's next flag.

It's in their best interest now to move him on and get best value.

It's questionable that we will climb to the top of the mountain in the next 5 years (I do expect we will be well on the way up by then).

Why are we giving a side that may be around the same mark as us in 6 years (say 2030-31) a strong 25 year prospect to roll us?

3 23 for 6 21 and baker.

Draft
6 13 19 21 champion

Bring in
Graham
Baker
Sheldrick

2025 F1 F2 F4 in tact.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now that’s it’s happening, l’ll give it a crack.

Eagles
Out- 13 + 23
In- Baker + 18 + Dev

Brisbane
Out- 18 + Dev + F2
In- 23 + 29

Tigers
Out - Baker + 29
In- 13 + F2

13 will likely be 16
18 will likely be 21
23 will likely be 29

Hard no to Baker + 10 for our 3 ... even without us giving the more extras you mention.

Eagles
Out- 13 + 23
In- Baker + 18 + Dev

Brisbane
Out- 18 + Dev + F2
In- 23 + 29

Tigers
Out - Baker + 29
In- 13 + F2

13 will likely be 16
18 will likely be 21
23 will likely be 29
Dont mind it at all. Overvalues Baker from what we generally consider his worth on this board but its realistic imo, and keeps us in the top 20.

I dunno who we'd take at 18, seems like its mostly talls at that range. Maybe Lindsay lasts to 18

Eagles
Out- 13 + 23
In- Baker + 18 + Dev

Brisbane
Out- 18 + Dev + F2
In- 23 + 29

Tigers
Out - Baker + 29
In- 13 + F2

13 will likely be 16
18 will likely be 21
23 will likely be 29

Would prefer we just do 13 for Baker and 21.

Dev will be available cheap cheap.

Happy for us to be involved in multi mega trades, but they need to build value for all - including us. Too often we have facilitated these deals but not received back any real value.

Pick 13 is too much for Baker. 23 maybe not quite enough.

So 23 and a F3. If they really want 13 then Richmond need to ensure we get decent value back or it should just become a 23+ what conversation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

10 is very unlikely to get Travaglia, but I’d be very happy with him and Lindsay
As long as TT actually makes it to pick 10. Hes no guarantee to make it.
Is TT being overrated on here? He was ranked at 11 on Cal’s latest form guide and was at 13 before that. The only place I’ve seen him mentioned in the top 10 is by the ESPN bloke (pick 8) who doesn’t seem to have a clue as he also had Murphy Reid at pick 16.

Is TT being overrated on here? He was ranked at 11 on Cal’s latest form guide and was at 13 before that. The only place I’ve seen him mentioned in the top 10 is by the ESPN bloke (pick 8) who doesn’t seem to have a clue as he also had Murphy Reid at pick 16.
No. STK, CARL, RICH all keen on him.

Would prefer we just do 13 for Baker and 21.

Dev will be available cheap cheap.

Happy for us to be involved in multi mega trades, but they need to build value for all - including us. Too often we have facilitated these deals but not received back any real value.

Pick 13 is too much for Baker. 23 maybe not quite enough.

So 23 and a F3. If they really want 13 then Richmond need to ensure we get decent value back or it should just become a 23+ what conversation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the F2 is going in the TB trade we can’t afford to trade the F3 as well as points will come in hard to get.

Mega trade is probably what is going to help the most.
If we do the
13+Hawks F1
For
TB and F2

And the Rioli for 6 is going ahead. I reckon we have the discussion with GC and Richmond that we roll Hawks F1 into GC pick 12 a Baker and Rioli mega trade.

Baker Trade (with out throwing in the full TB and Rioli parts)
Eagles
Out- 23 + Hawks F1
In- Baker + 18 + Dev

Brisbane
Out- 18 + Dev + F2
In- 23 + 29

Tigers
Out - Baker + 29
In- 12 + F2

GC
Out- 12
In- Hawks F1
Crunch the numbers for the full mega trade for us.
Out- TB - 23 - F2
In- 13 - 18 - Baker - Dev

Draft with 3, 13, 18

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back