List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking into account what Pyke and WCE_phil have said the trade does make more sense.

Pick 3 (which wouldn't give us the player we really want)

for

Baker, Graham and Pick 12 (hoping a player we're targeting is available there)
But thats just wrong. Pick 3 would have got exactly the player they wanted for a minimum of 3 years. Since when is being a flight risk a big issue here.

Possibly just saying this as a coping mechanism but I do think the comments from a lot of the experts about the draft are worth keeping in mind - it just doesn't have the couple of absolute standout players that most drafts do. The ratings are so even that there is every chance we could have used pick 3 on a player we could have gotten at 8, and we equally could get someone at 12 that we would have taken at 8 if that's where our pick was. If we had gone from 3 down to 8 we would probably not be melting like this and it could easily be the same outcome once the draft is done. Yeah we probably miss out top choice but odds are there will be someone we rate highly still on the board.

I'm frustrated about not driving harder for a good deal on Baker or at least a 2nd rounder back or something, but with that in mind I don't really have a huge problem with the downgrade side of things - mostly just wish we had more than 2 meaningful picks in the draft overall.

Look after people disagreed with the information I gave up and how busy i've been I decided to take a break from here but people will remember me posting on multiple occasions about the club not having pick 3.

It has been realised in the past week that who the club has as their top 3+ draft selections would either be already drafted or didn't want to come to WA. I was a large part of the interviews.

People will get upset with this but pick 12 is about the sweet spot as far as trading down. No, it likely won't secure who most here want however it is high enough that is guarantees either a massive slider or one of the clubs 3 targets will be there. The hawks pick 14 was just a couple of picks too late to do that particularly after the AFL ****ed us with St Kilda getting band 1 compo.

Club is holding hard on Barrass.

If you want, you can blame me for Owies.

I can't publicly discuss a couple of things quite yet but I think people can now guess as to why the club has the coach it does and also why a lot of time and effort was used to bring Worsfold back in his new position. Also why I was pissed off about a couple of things a took a break from here.

I will try and give people a bit of a shining light here. (bar securing the top tier player trade next year) Then things will look like this. 3 senior best 22 players who provide significantly more run and carry and 7 first round draft picks in 4 years. When you look at it purely from that perspective, with all the difficulties the club faces in securing talent, that is a very good outcome.
Couldn't we have got owies as a DFA if we waited a week ?

3 for 12 and 14 is a putrid deal and so is 14 for Baker.

I hope clarke and pyke have a long look at themselves because this is the worst trade I can remember.

Never have I see unanimous shock at how poor a trade is from our supporters, opposition supporters and the media .

This is pick 2 for Weller territory .

I don't mind Baker and owies but at the cost of pick 3 ? Its bad mate anyway it is spun

Never seen so many posters pissed .

Enjoy all. I'll be here for a few days but deleating my access on the weekend.

I won't be missed and that's cool.

I'm done with club. That's it. 37 years. Not bothering watching or Kayo in winter.

Sorry but I'm done is done.

What am utterly pathetic and disgraceful club we have become. Burn it all down.
Burn.jpg

Everyone is Melting Hard!

Strap on a pair of these for the season ahead and leave your worries behind.

I for one have transitioned through my emotional stages of grief and now I’m quite optimistic baker and owies improve our squad rebuild and what ever McQualter has baked up for us regarding game plan. I’ll back them in and whoever we draft this year

IMG_2132.jpeg

But thats just wrong. Pick 3 would have got exactly the player they wanted for a minimum of 3 years. Since when is being a flight risk a big issue here.
It indirectly speaks to a bit of an issue at the club, in which we dont feel confident to be able to change the minds of these players after a 3 year stint.

A philosophy im personally against. You never know if you never go, and if the only reason our player retention is so good is because "they wanted to be here anyway", well then that doesnt speak very highly of our abilities to retain players, does it?

The question still remains, how did a player destined to become a DFA take the deal of 12 + 14 for 3 from being unacceptable to acceptable?

The answer appears to be the liklihood of missing out on Liam Baker, which, given the price had to be the more acceptable alternative in this case.

one of the biggest clubs in the AFL, with the greatest salary cap space and the greatest chance of playing AFL as soon as possible for draftees yet we can't attract talent???

Im clearly just trying to cope so ignore this completely but...

Assuming we take F1 + F2 for Barrass:

We end up with 12, 26, 2 x F1, 2 x F2, F3

Had we accepted the original Hawks offer for Barrass and traded 14 for Baker, we would have ended up with:

3, 26, F1, 2 x F2

We essentially slid 3 to 12 to get an extra F1 + F3 + Matt Owies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walked past Liam Ryan and his family in one of those Melbourne shopping arcades in the CBD a couple of hours ago. He looked grumpy. He did have his wife and kids with him though and they were shopping. I think it was him, didn’t have time for the double take.

The last 3 years we have finished 17th, 18th and 16th.

Out of those positions we have netted the following through trading pick 2, keeping pick 1 and trading pick 3 now.

1. Reid
2. Ginbey
3. Hewett
4. Baker
5. Owies
6. Unknown player at 12 this year's draft (Bo Allan?)

Are you happy with that as opposed to a possible

1. Reid (2023)
2. Sheezel or Wardlaw (2022) Ashcroft was taken by Brisbane father son pick.
3 Finn O'Sullivan (possible 2024)
Hewett better come good with his foot and we pick up an AA 200 gamer with #12.

A midfield of Reid, Wardlaw and FOS/Draper/Lalor would've been tasty.

I just don't think the Eagles place as much emphasis on quality midfielders that other clubs do. And it's hard to argue against that strategy when we've won flags anyway. For mine they aim for team balance with their drafting, where it seems like more than ever the midfield is where the game is won, especially with the shitty 666 rule.

Of course we've had some incredible mids - Judd the obvious one. Cousins was a F/S and Kerr turned out to be an incredible later pick. But from our last flag, would you say that Shuey and Yeo are truly in the elite brackets of mids? (they're great but not in the top echelon)

We now have Reid and very little to go along with him. Another top end midfielder should be the priority. I could stomach what's happened today if Warner has basically said he's going to be on our list next year, but there's no way they'd rell us that for sure.

This is the most worrying part of this. These turkeys are now in charge and will be running the next few important trade and draft periods. It's scary.
I'm not concerned about next few drafts. This draft and next were the ones before tassie comes in.

We bottled this draft. It doesn't matter the next ones after next year

Look after people disagreed with the information I gave up and how busy i've been I decided to take a break from here but people will remember me posting on multiple occasions about the club not having pick 3.

It has been realised in the past week that who the club has as their top 3+ draft selections would either be already drafted or didn't want to come to WA. I was a large part of the interviews.

People will get upset with this but pick 12 is about the sweet spot as far as trading down. No, it likely won't secure who most here want however it is high enough that is guarantees either a massive slider or one of the clubs 3 targets will be there. The hawks pick 14 was just a couple of picks too late to do that particularly after the AFL ****ed us with St Kilda getting band 1 compo.

I can't publicly discuss a couple of things quite yet but I think people can now guess as to why the club has the coach it does and also why a lot of time and effort was used to bring Worsfold back in his new position. Also why I was pissed off about a couple of things a took a break from here.

I will try and give people a bit of a shining light here. (bar securing the top tier player trade next year) Then things will look like this. 3 senior best 22 players who provide significantly more run and carry and 7 first round draft picks in 4 years. When you look at it purely from that perspective, with all the difficulties the club faces in securing talent, that is a very good outcome.
Wow.

Which means

1.we didn't rate jagga or he didn't want to come
2 So that's tigers taking FOS with pick one
3 Lalor hammy injury not worth the risk
4. Draper doesn't want to come or his back injury is a risk
5 north must be selling off pick 2 and/either FOS jaggar will go there.
6.we think we can get Smillie, Langford, Lindsay, TT, berry.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the elephant in the room.

Do you rate Baker ?
Are you happy that we gave up 14 for
him?

I actually already know the answer to one of these questions. Just wondering if you will share your thought on both ?

Baker for 14.
That’s the bit that is pissing 😡 😤 😠 most of us off.

Until I see IF AND WHAT we get for Barrass, naively hoping for some more positivity , until then I remain despondent and disappointed, to what we have done this trade period.

Pretty inauspicious start to being List Manager from Clarke IMO.

Oh and another point:

So the Club has been big on its commitment to Baker.

Just wondering where it sits on it’s commitment to its members and fan.

Because I am not see it, with what they have served us up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back