List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
When Geelong won those 3 flags, they had a young Joel Selwood. When we won ours, we had zero young guns. We had no one to carry the flame. They then traded in Danger. When you hit bottom 4, and your list is rooted, you need the top end talent from the draft.
I'm not talking about 15 years ago. I'm talking about 2 years ago

All this talk about taking Tom Clurey is ridiculous the guy will be 31 by the time he starts playing for us. If WCE do take him they are obviously only concerned about next year not the long term future of the club.

After taking Graham, Baker & Owies i believe the club is more concerned about holding onto there supporters base next year & next years revenue than getting a team together that can compete in the finals.

I understand we already have a lot of young talent but only a small % of them will make it in the AFL, we need to keep injecting as much youth as possible into our team to increase our chances of finding AFL quality players. We want the club to be competetive but not at the expense of our rebuild.

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

Harley wont hang around if we are still shocking in five years time (which is where we are heading).

16 under 21 but how many are A grade talents? Two or three?

Between now and 5 years there will be another 40-50 players to come through. Remain calm.

And if he goes, then cya. People are way too invested in him staying, probably more so than being invested in people in their life.

16 under 21 but how many are A grade talents? Two or three?

We don’t know yet. Occasionally players in that age range come in as A graders, but it’s not the norm.

Could be a few in that lot imo. Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Reid, Reid, Long, Maric, Hutchinson, Dewar all look to have plenty of talent and considerable potential. Write them off based on right now, but then don’t be jumping back on when a bunch of those are part of our next flag tilt please & thank you

Personally I think Ginbey bulked up too much over the last off-season just like Rowell did in his 1st season. I think if he can work on his running and trim a little he'll become a much more rounded player this season. Really looking to see the progress Hall makes over the pre-season. Would love to see him given a lot more time learning from Yeo. "Hutch" on the other hand will just shine. Has Junkyard Dog traits (not the latter version).

His weights fine, he was still able to run well, he just needs to put on a little more bulk in his lower half to improve his core strength and balance out his body a bit. For his size he’s not standing up in tackles as well as he should and is losing his feet a bit, and I believe that’s to being unbalanced in his weight distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We don’t know yet. Occasionally players in that age range come in as A graders, but it’s not the norm.

Could be a few in that lot imo. Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, Reid, Reid, Long, Maric, Hutchinson, Dewar all look to have plenty of talent and considerable potential. Write them off based on right now, but then don’t be jumping back on when a bunch of those are part of our next flag tilt please & thank you

Think some forget that our past A-graders like Luke Shuey, Josh Kennedy and Elliot Yeo - key cogs of a flag side - weren't exactly ripping up the competition and winning individual accolades when they were kids.

Of course not all of them will make it, but it's foolish to write them off now.

There are only a few scenarios I think think we should entertain trading back into this years draft, otherwise we just take our picks at the end of the draft. Assuming we take 4 picks, leaving a spot for a SSP.

Pick 6 with Tigers - Our F1 straight up, no extras and only if who we wanted at 3 is still there. Maybe Jagga Smith or Langford.

Pick 10 or 11 with Tigers - Hawks F1 + F2. Would make the Barrass trade 10 + F3 for Barrass and F4. Only if a target is on the board, say TT or a sliding mid like Smillie or Reid.

Trade a F2 for an additional pick in the second round this year to bring in a Hamish Davies or a KPD target.

Worst case scenario is trading our F1 for one of Tigers picks 10 or 11. After Pykes comments when we split 3 I'm a little worried we may be desperate and overpay. Shirley not.

Personally after that trade period I'd be happy if we play it a little conservately. A F2 to get back in somewhere in the second round this year would balance out our draft hand a bit.

His weights fine, he was still able to run well, he just needs to put on a little more bulk in his lower half to improve his core strength and balance out his body a bit. For his size he’s not standing up in tackles as well as he should and is losing his feet a bit, and I believe that’s to being unbalanced in his weight distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's all about the base.

Can we just keep LEdwards on the list (If we're concerned about legal stuff) then put him straight on LTI list and have a pick in the MSD?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We could. But I’d much rather delist him because of performance pre and post concussion and open up another spot in the national draft. There will be serious talent available even with late picks.

I’m sure others have done this same exercise. Is this correct? Or maybe I’ve got someone on the main list when they should be a rookie or vice versa?

33 contracted senior players
34 (Snr) - Pick 12
35 (Snr) - Pick 26
36 (Snr) - Champion
37 (Snr/R) -
38 (Snr/R) -
39 (R) - Rawlinson
40 (R) - Hutchison
41 (R) -
42 (R) -
43 (Cat B) - Dewar(?)
44 (Cat B) - Livingstone

TBC - L. Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk about taking Tom Clurey is ridiculous the guy will be 31 by the time he starts playing for us. If WCE do take him they are obviously only concerned about next year not the long term future of the club.

After taking Graham, Baker & Owies i believe the club is more concerned about holding onto there supporters base next year & next years revenue than getting a team together that can compete in the finals.

I understand we already have a lot of young talent but only a small % of them will make it in the AFL, we need to keep injecting as much youth as possible into our team to increase our chances of finding AFL quality players. We want the club to be competetive but not at the expense of our rebuild.

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth

images - 2024-10-24T102614.153.jpeg

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth. Fold the club.

Ahhh, this is much nicer 🌲🌲:sunrise:🌲🕊️

Between now and 5 years there will be another 40-50 players to come through. Remain calm.

And if he goes, then cya. People are way too invested in him staying, probably more so than being invested in people in their life.

Exactly.

If he goes. Meh. We will land a trade bounty from the six big Melbourne clubs frothing to land him.

Hold onto next years picks & dont fold to Sydney over Warner. He is a good player but we are not in a window of competing for a grand final spot so giving up anymore than 1 st rounder and a few other picks its just not worth. Fold the club.

Ahhh, this is much nicer 🌲🌲:sunrise:🌲🕊️

Ewe have got a suck sence of huumar Durk Shurks. Whutever Yu du dun’t Dulete your Accampaigner.

Can we just keep LEdwards on the list (If we're concerned about legal stuff) then put him straight on LTI list and have a pick in the MSD?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can but our current situation you’d rather have a full list at the start and see if you can find a player or two with SSP or rookie picks.

Can’t they’d sign him just for the sake of the concussion thing to be sorted then moved on. Surely that is sorted soon.

Think some forget that our past A-graders like Luke Shuey, Josh Kennedy and Elliot Yeo - key cogs of a flag side - weren't exactly ripping up the competition and winning individual accolades when they were kids.

Agree on JK and Yeo to a lesser extent.

Shuey not so much, missed most of the 1st year with family bereavement.

Was almost a new recruit in 2011, playing a full year in 11 and going at 17 disposals per game plus average of 1 goal a game (better than Harley at 18 and .5).

2012 was similar and he was doing Reid like breaks from Ruck contests - mind you had NN/Cox feeding him as opposed to Bailey/Williams/Flynn.

5 A graders gets you into contention, we have 1 under 25 yr old who you would say is a monty to make this category.

Unfortunately the AFL teams apart from GC, have got smarter in the last decade, with the JK/Yeo bargains pretty much gone and replaced by clubs overpaying for players (like the Baker lunacy).

Being the Bombers or Saints isn't my aspiration, so we simply shouldn't be giving away early picks in this rebuild, with DFA's our only other option in a year or 2 onwards.

Kennedy was #4. We got lucky with Shuey and Yeo. I don't think anyone is writing them (the kids) off, but there's a difference between kids who make it, or even kids who make very good players, and flag sides. If you have that core of elite players, it's easier for kids to step and play to potential.

Agree on JK and Yeo to a lesser extent.

Shuey not so much, missed most of the 1st year with family bereavement.

Was almost a new recruit in 2011, playing full year in 11 and went at 17 disposals per game plus average of 1 goal a game (better than Harley at 18 and .5).

2012 was similar and he was doing Reid like breaks from Ruck contests - mind you had NN/Cox feeding him as opposed to Bailey/Williams/Flynn.

5 A graders gets you into contention, we have 1 under 25 yr old who you would say is a monty to make this category.

Unfortunately the AFL teams apart from GC, have got smarter in the last decade, with the JK/Yeo bargains pretty much gone and replaced by clubs overpaying for players (like the Baker lunacy).

Being the Bombers or Saints isn't my aspiration, so we simply shouldn't be giving away early picks in this rebuild, with DFA's our only other option in a year or 2 onwards.

It should be noted Luke Shuey also had to deal with glandular fever which caused him to miss most of a season. Basically a ready made player when he started stringing games together, because he had a couple of pre-seasons under his belt.

I think Gov also didn't even debut until after 3 years on the list, or similar.

This is why people writing off players completely after just a couple of years and barely any games is foolish. Again, many (maybe most) will turn out nothing special but there are loads of examples of late bloomers.

I’m sure others have done this same exercise. Is this correct? Or maybe I’ve got someone on the main list when they should be a rookie or vice versa?

33 contracted senior players
34 (Snr) - Pick 12
35 (Snr) - Pick 26
36 (Snr) - Champion
37 (Snr/R) -
38 (Snr/R) -
39 (R) - Rawlinson
40 (R) - Hutchison
41 (R) -
42 (R) -
43 (Cat B) - Dewar(?)
44 (Cat B) - Livingstone

TBC - L. Edwards
This is where it’s at:
1729738630079.jpeg
Red is delist this year, orange is on notice for next year (main list only).

This is where I want it to be in a few weeks:
1729738698117.jpeg

My man:

"Barrat late last month was announced as the winner of the Neville Strauch Best and Fairest Award for the Pioneers’ boys team for season 2024.

When asked to nominate his draft bolter, Pioneers star Tobie Travaglia – who finished runner-up to Barrat in the Pioneers’ club champion count – had no hesitation nominating his teammate.

“Going down back, you look back at some of the marks he takes and the way he competes, he’s one of the best at it I feel for his position,” Travaglia told foxfooy.com.au.

“He’s been through a lot of adversity when he was younger and has had to do a lot to get to that point. If a club does take him, they’re going to get the most out of him.”

Fellow Pioneer Jobe Shanahan said Barrat deserved “way more than everyone’s ranking him at the moment”.

“He’s probably had one of the best years going around,” Shanahan told foxfooty.com.au.

“Back at Bendigo, he was that much of a competitor. Just the amount of good performances he’s had throughout the year, I don’t know how he’s not talked about more.”

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back