List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt 8-10 on its own gets it done. I think we’d need to find an early 20s pick too. And maybe a couple of downgrades to ice the deal.
I'd say needs first, then whatever makes us better. So, if we have left over draft capital after chasing a ruck and small forward, why not.

But pick 8, 20 and a sweetener should get you JHF, Willie Rioli and the sweetener back. Pick 13 should get you a half back that's already been an AA.

Seems expensive for NWM, when we don't have a specific need. Why should we be the ones to overpay, when no one else does?

Does anyone know why we signed up Borlase before the draft?

Why wouldn't we have kept that list spot free to give us some flexibility? Did we think Keane was leaving and panicked?

Borlase would have still been there later if we didn't end up filling the spot or if we valued him higher than whoever was available to us

I don't mind him as depth but surely there were no serious suitors

I'd say needs first, then whatever makes us better. So, if we have left over draft capital after chasing a ruck and small forward, why not.

But pick 8, 20 and a sweetener should get you JHF, Willie Rioli and the sweetener back. Pick 13 should get you a half back that's already been an AA.

Seems expensive for NWM, when we don't have a specific need. Why should we be the ones to overpay, when no one else does?
You don't regard NWM as a specific need?

I'd say he's exactly the type we are missing on our list

There are other holes I guess but we have barely any outside run or polish

Why wouldn't we have kept that list spot free to give us some flexibility? Did we think Keane was leaving and panicked?

Borlase would have still been there later if we didn't end up filling the spot or if we valued him higher than whoever was available to us

And even if we timing was ok, why 2 years? Bond got 1 and he looks much closer to being first choice in his role defender than Borlase. What I'd like to know is do we have the type of convos that Port had with Clurey? Instead of pushing soon to be delisted players out and hopefully getting something back, even if it's just the spot, we just let them wither on the vine. Smith is an exception he's that cooked he's got no choice, nobody would be interested in him. But surely with the 3 players we got in we could have nudged Schoey or Laird or Murphy out the door.

You don't regard NWM as a specific need?

I'd say he's exactly the type we are missing on our list

There are other holes I guess but we have barely any outside run or polish
Looking at likely AFL quality mid/wing/ half back run and polish:
Rankine, Dawson, Hinge, Cumming, Sholl, Edwards, Curtin, Dowling, Taylor, Milera & Max. Chayce and Ryan probably more run than polish. Worrell and Keane also averaged over 300m gained at c.80% kicking efficiency.

Rucks:
ROB

Small forwards:
Rachele, Rankine (if we don't want him as a mid)

I don't think outside run is as big a need as ruck or small forward, but would take NWM if it didn't cost us more urgent needs, or better prospects.

Not many 22 year old stars get traded.

It’s not a common situation
Both NWM and Phillipou are good players, and best 22 players, but they are not stars of the game. Neither have been in the All Australian squad, let alone team, neither are premiership players, neither won the Rising Star award, and neither have won Brownlow Medals. They weren't even top 5 picks in their respective drafts. If they are out of contract, they are both worth 1 first rounder as things currently stand. If they start winning other accolades as mentioned above, then there is a discussion around a second first rounder.

There is a version of NWM and Phillipou available in any draft.

I think we were keeping on eye on our KPP depth - we have plenty of half backs and flankers, but our talls are a bit light on.

My concern is twofold

RoB is coming out of contract

Now that could go 2 ways - we re-sign him and we keep looking for a backup

Or he has informed the club ( or will) he wants to head to Melbourne for further study etc

Now our lack of urgency could indicate a desire by RoB to stay - but I would be mighty annoyed if we get the '' we were blindsided '' from the club

Lets hope we are in constant communication

Both NWM and Phillipou are good players, and best 22 players, but they are not stars of the game. Neither have been in the All Australian squad, let alone team, neither are premiership players, neither won the Rising Star award, and neither have won Brownlow Medals. They weren't even top 5 picks in their respective drafts. If they are out of contract, they are both worth 1 first rounder as things currently stand. If they start winning other accolades as mentioned above, then there is a discussion around a second first rounder.

There is a version of NWM and Phillipou available in any draft.
Yeah, but these two are obviously going to be top flight players in the future. So you won't miss.

And they are coming into their prime in the next 1-2 years. Going back to the draft means risk + a delay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t confuse me. I believe a deal will get done and I’m sure it won’t be a specific club he nominates. It will be best deal for us that gets him home.

But there will be a serious premium on either player.

Pick 4 (or player selected)+ Rachele/Curtain type of premium (player and something else back your way)

Mate, Bailey Smith went for pick 17 and he is three times the player that either of those two are, they only stand out because they are on your list.

I swear to ****, people need to stop coming on here and playing "list manager". If the player wants to come to a club and they are out of contract, then you get what the club is offering. It sucks, it really does but that is the game now.

Last edited:
I think Poo is gonna be an outright star, hes an absolute competitor. I also don't think he is any chance of requesting a trade home. He'll go where he think he can win, regardless of location.

NWM is a very good player, could be AA calibre on a wing. Nice get and a 1st and 2nd would be fair value I'd say.
Think someone asked earlier what everyone's preferences were. Id take Phillipou. NWM would be nice but I agree he hasn't the same ceiling as Poo.
Mattaes just seems a born winner.
Hard to be a winner at St K but that's still the vibe I get from him.
He'd be a great addition to our midfield.
Would trade F1 for him in an instant.
Just saw he has 2 years to run though :(

Think someone asked earlier what everyone's preferences were. Id take Phillipou. NWM would be nice but I agree he hasn't the same ceiling as Poo.
Mattaes just seems a born winner.
Hard to be a winner at St K but that's still the vibe I get from him.
He'd be a great addition to our midfield.
Would trade F1 for him in an instant.
Just saw he has 2 years to run though :(

The word is that Phillipou loves the Melbourne footy life.

However what’s on our side is that Phillipou would have loved to have played for a big Melbourne club in marquee games like ANZAC day, or the Dreamtime game, and the Saints are not a big Melbourne based club

If the saints end up bottom 4 or 6 over the next couple years and we start playing finals again then he may get itchy feet, but i wouldn’t be surprised if a Collingwood, Carlton or Hawthorn type of club would be more of an interest to him rather than moving back to SA

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can only assume they are going to attempt to turn him into a ruck.
[that logic is equally sane as signing him]

Been thinking about this ruck question (Dodson) ... and I've come to the conclusion that we should spend absolutely no draft currency on the ruck.

ruck.png

Let's fix everything else before we worry too hard about the players that as ruckmen are only really useful if the thing they are least known for is tap-work. They need to be good at everything else around the ground to have real influence, and that influence is very rarely THE reason you win a flag.

ROB at his BEST is someone that can compete in the ruck AND wins more than his share of contested marks around the ground / fights hard with second efforts at the contest.

Been thinking about this ruck question (Dodson) ... and I've come to the conclusion that we should spend absolutely no draft currency on the ruck.

View attachment 2152983

Let's fix everything else before we worry too hard about the players that as ruckmen are only really useful if the thing they are least known for is tap-work. They need to be good at everything else around the ground to have real influence, and that influence is very rarely THE reason you win a flag.

ROB at his BEST is someone that can compete in the ruck AND wins more than his share of contested marks around the ground / fights hard with second efforts at the contest.
ROB needs to pull that version of himself out more than twice a season though.

View attachment 2152983

And if Rob gets injured or his form sucks so bad he gets dropped again you are replacing him with 22.9 Strachan

ROB needs to pull that version of himself out more than twice a season though.
Even if people rate ROB, no one can deny that he is getting on in years now.

The longer we leave it to find someone, the more it is going to cost us.

There were whispers Port were keen. He’s a KPD who’s stepped up every time he’s been given a shot, so he’d have suitors. Some clubs are pretty strapped for them. We have 5 and on the list and play 3 so no issue signing him on. Going into the season with only 4 would make me nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back