List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

The media are vultures - whichever team loses in any week they are all over them with whatever they want to say and whatever agenda they are pushing - they mostly just fabricate stories to sell clicks. Best not to listen to them and certainly dont believe them. AFL media is unique because most the journos have strong ties to certain clubs or hatred of other clubs or individuals and unfort they wield a lot of power
Case in point, those serious journo's were advocating Richmond adding Lynch to player exodus this drafting period, and then saying Richmond should not use all their draft picks this year and hold some into next year. What logic is that.

Case in point, those serious journo's were advocating Richmond adding Lynch to player exodus this drafting period, and then saying Richmond should not use all their draft picks this year and hold some into next year. What logic is that.

I don't think trading out some of your picks for futures next year is a bad idea.

Could be a bit of a problem (a nice problem) if all your picks ended up guns all needing bumper contracts all at once. Spreading it out and getting good value back is a reasonable idea.

Richmond would be better to spread them out across multiple drafts, to be fair.

I don't think trading out some of your picks for futures next year is a bad idea.

Could be a bit of a problem (a nice problem) if all your picks ended up guns all needing bumper contracts all at once. Spreading it out and getting good value back is a reasonable idea.
So you agree that trading out your most important player and then not using that pick but banking it is good logic.

The idea when you start a footy season is you have your best players on the park, not on some kid who might get on the park in 2026. To make it worse, they all summised that pick 25 for Lynch would be about right. Trade your best player in 2025 for pick 25 who might play in '26. Good job they were star players.

Richmond would be better to spread them out across multiple drafts, to be fair.
Why. I can see reserving one perhaps, or bundling a couple to get a better pick on draft night, but this is the best draft in years and we need quality picks now. We are odds on to get the no.1 pick again next year.

If you get to pick 6 or 7 and you see a player that you really rate (pick 20-23) and they fit your needs, go for it, if not by all means bow out until next year. The same pick or close enough may not be as good next year, given this is a 'super draft'.

So you agree that trading out your most important player and then not using that pick but banking it is good logic.

The idea when you start a footy season is you have your best players on the park, not on some kid who might get on the park in 2026. To make it worse, they all summised that pick 25 for Lynch would be about right. Trade your best player in 2025 for pick 25 who might play in '26. Good job they were star players.

I think both approaches are fine and have merit.

Having some extra future picks gives you a bit of flexibility going into next year. There are some interesting names out of contract next year (Callaghan, Lohmann, Hill, SDK, Rowell, Aleer, Owens, NWM, Warner, Darcy) and having verifiable currency now allows you to approach their management with more confidence that you can get a deal done.

Using extra picks this year that you have acquired allows you to get an extra year of development into the players.

Pros and Cons. I wouldn't begrudge Richmond trading some picks away for futures, and I wouldn't begrudge them for not.

I think both approaches are fine and have merit.

Having some extra future picks gives you a bit of flexibility going into next year. There are some interesting names out of contract next year (Callaghan, Lohmann, Hill, SDK, Rowell, Aleer, Owens, NWM, Warner, Darcy) and having verifiable currency now allows you to approach their management with more confidence that you can get a deal done.

Using extra picks this year that you have acquired allows you to get an extra year of development into the players.

Pros and Cons. I wouldn't begrudge Richmond trading some picks away for futures, and I wouldn't begrudge them for not.
Some good points especially if chasing a big name, there's always on or two.

Of course some are on the decline due to age, but can still good players if on the park together. Any yes a lot is dependant on injuries, but surely we are due a bit of luck. At the same time others are on the rise and played good football last year.

From what I can see, part of Richmond's woes go back to issues affecting critical players at the tail end of the premiership era which then has transitioned into now. For starters, you lost both key defenders within a couple of years of each other to injury (Rance) or ongoing problems (Astbury). Both should have had more years in them, and that means you don't have either there to shepherd the next key defender along. To compound that, the most promising young key defender you have got in Gibcus has now missed pretty much two full seasons. Then in the midfield, arguably your most consistent midfielder in Prestia starts getting injured straight after his best season in 2019. Throw in Lynch missing the last two seasons effectively and it's a huge gap that no amount of magic can fix. I guess the final straw was the injuries that hit in 2024 much like it devastated West Coast in 2023. Anyone thinking Yze or anyone else is going to walk in and wave a magic wand within 1-2 years is in fantasy land.

Like all teams in that crappy position, the positive is how many games you can pump into the more promising young guys. I'm extremely wary of knowing with absolutely certainty who will and won't make it. A massive chunk of your list are still at 50 games or under. A lot can change.

You cant give people chocolate for dinner for 12 straight weeks then complain when they put on weight

You get what you give and this is what AFL has given. A system that relies on uncompetitiveness to become competitive again.

Richmond just doing what the system tells them too. If you dont like it change the system. That simple

From what I can see, part of Richmond's woes go back to issues affecting critical players at the tail end of the premiership era which then has transitioned into now. For starters, you lost both key defenders within a couple of years of each other to injury (Rance) or ongoing problems (Astbury). Both should have had more years in them, and that means you don't have either there to shepherd the next key defender along. To compound that, the most promising young key defender you have got in Gibcus has now missed pretty much two full seasons. Then in the midfield, arguably your most consistent midfielder in Prestia starts getting injured straight after his best season in 2019. Throw in Lynch missing the last two seasons effectively and it's a huge gap that no amount of magic can fix. I guess the final straw was the injuries that hit in 2024 much like it devastated West Coast in 2023. Anyone thinking Yze or anyone else is going to walk in and wave a magic wand within 1-2 years is in fantasy land.

Like all teams in that crappy position, the positive is how many games you can pump into the more promising young guys. I'm extremely wary of knowing with absolutely certainty who will and won't make it. A massive chunk of your list are still at 50 games or under. A lot can change.
Succinct. I get a bit wordy.

Genuine question for those who watch them closely - Richmond had 5 picks in the top 30 in 2021 draft. Are any of them looking like good picks? I know there have been injuries for Gibcus. On the face of it seems like a bust of a draft but they are all relatively young but 3 seasons in you usually have an idea.

You cant give people chocolate for dinner for 12 straight weeks then complain when they put on weight

You get what you give and this is what AFL has given. A system that relies on uncompetitiveness to become competitive again.

Richmond just doing what the system tells them too. If you dont like it change the system. That simple

Yes that gets me how people call AFLW ‘lop sided’ when apparently tanking in cycles is ‘accepted wisdom’ in the men’s game and has been for 20 years, and that probably was because the 2001 draft was so rich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question for those who watch them closely - Richmond had 5 picks in the top 30 in 2021 draft. Are any of them looking like good picks? I know there have been injuries for Gibcus. On the face of it seems like a bust of a draft but they are all relatively young but 3 seasons in you usually have an idea.
Not a bust at all. Gibcus played 17 games in his first year and was very good, iinjury. Brown (17) has had his fair share of injuries but finally got going this year and played 18 games in effectively his first season (debuted r.23 the previous year). He is an exceptional kick and looks good going forward. Sonsie (28) started off brilliantly and was near our best in the final v Brisbane, but has struggled since. 50-50 at best. Banks (29) has slowly progressed and played 15 games this year. Clarke (30) has shown some real class and zip but did an ACL early in the season.

Injury and being a bit skinny has held them all back but they are getting there. Not hard to get games at Richmond last year, but the ones that did were pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back