List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

You make good points.

I'd disagree about doing nothing much for 6 drafts. I count at least 13 decent players drafted in that period (kids).

I'd love to know who these 13 "decent" kids are.

The real problem is there's nobody from the 2018-2023 draftees that's anywhere near being an A-grader or looks likely to get there.

The most proven is Rhyan Mansell who is an ok small forward. The best talent to my eye is Seth Campbell. But he's a nippy player who showed moments of quality not an elite talent that clubs drool over.

1 or 2 from that group might make it in a major way and you'll probably get a few more role players. But that's as bad a result from 6 drafts as you're ever likely to see.

I'd love to know who these 13 "decent" kids are.

The real problem is there's nobody from the 2018-2023 draftees that's anywhere near being an A-grader or looks likely to get there.

The most proven is Rhyan Mansell who is an ok small forward. The best talent to my eye is Seth Campbell. But he's a nippy player who showed moments of quality not an elite talent that clubs drool over.

1 or 2 from that group might make it in a major way and you'll probably get a few more role players. But that's as bad a result from 6 drafts as you're ever likely to see.

Our first round draft picks in 2018 and '19 were picks 17 and 21, so no guarantees but they have not worked out. Every club has these, just two drafts in a row has hurt.

In 2020 our first draft pick was Sampson Ryan at 40 (speculative ruck pick). In 2022 it was Smith pick 49.

'21 Gibcus looked to be headed to A grade before injury. Brown has traits of A grade, his kicking is better than that. All the others are still in the system and progressing.

2023 MaAuliffe was our first at pick 40 and he is a possibility, very strong and aggressive with very good speed 2.9 20m and a great left boot. But at 18 you can't tell.

Not one top 10 draft pick since Conca in 2010.

I think there is more than role players in our group, but they take time and you nor I will know who they are just yet.

Third best draft hand of all time, well done Richmond. Have the luxury with so many picks to take a good mix of player types. Just need to nail the picks now.

Two wins, then next year win less. When can Richmond start asking for Priority Picks?
When Benny Gale became CEO, apart from his 75-0-3 mantra that everyone laughed at but came to fruition, he stated that Richmond would not ask for any priority picks, as we got ourselves into the mess we were in and it was up to us to get ourselves out. Asking for priority picks is a loser mentality and admitting that you are not capable of doing your job properly as a football department.

Does't this problem solve itself though? You lose a player or players as they come out of contract, you get compensated, you get another player or pick and the new guy is on a different contract cycle. There are many other possible solutions as well. Fear of our recruits being in high demand is likely to be the least of our worries.
Depends on how you choose to look at it. Geelong received two mid-first round picks for losing a prime Gary Ablett Jr to the Suns. One was used to recruit Billie Smedts, who only played 38 games in 6 seasons for the Cats, and the other pick landed them Josh Caddy. Neither set the world on fire and left the Cats after a few years, meanwhile Ablett was on the Gold Coast winning MVPs and a Brownlow.

It really just depends on the quality of the player you lose and where you're placed on the ladder at the time e.g Buddy's compensation landed Hawthorn Billi Hartung. He only lasted four years at the Hawks before being delisted.

Not sure how it can't be considered tanking when 3 players wanted out. You are a bit silly if you try and force those players to stay if they have already checked out.

It would be different if we pushed them out, we didn't do that in fact we gave all 4 players pretty good offers to stay (2 were already on great contracts). We just tried to make the best of a crap situation.
3 players wanted out. Liam Baker was not contracted in 2025.

Dan Rioli was contracted until 2027.

Shai Bolton was under contract until 2028.

If Richmond really wanted to, they could of held on to Rioli and Bolton for one more season.

If they did, would Richmond would of got pick 6 from the suns next season? Unlikely as I see them contending for finals.

Had Shai Bolton stayed on Richmonds list in 2025, would Freo still offered as much compo as they currently did? Unlikely .

Richmond would be better to spread them out across multiple drafts, to be fair.
That is what I was thinking.

You could argue Richmond could of kept one of Bolton or Dan Rioli.

Richmond got picks 10, 11 and 18 from my team.

I won't be shocked or surprised if one of those draft picks in the Bolton trade is exchanged for a 2025 1st rounder

Our first round draft picks in 2018 and '19 were picks 17 and 21, so no guarantees but they have not worked out. Every club has these, just two drafts in a row has hurt.

In 2020 our first draft pick was Sampson Ryan at 40 (speculative ruck pick). In 2022 it was Smith pick 49.

'21 Gibcus looked to be headed to A grade before injury. Brown has traits of A grade, his kicking is better than that. All the others are still in the system and progressing.

2023 MaAuliffe was our first at pick 40 and he is a possibility, very strong and aggressive with very good speed 2.9 20m and a great left boot. But at 18 you can't tell.

Not one top 10 draft pick since Conca in 2010.

I think there is more than role players in our group, but they take time and you nor I will know who they are just yet.

I know you're relentlessly optimistic about Richmond.

But let's get detailed here.

What players recruited by Richmond from 2018-2023 drafts would be picked in the top 20 if they entered this draft?

So which player is now worth more than a speculative pick where as you say there are "no guarantees"?

I know you're relentlessly optimistic about Richmond.

But let's get detailed here.

What players recruited by Richmond from 2018-2023 drafts would be picked in the top 20 if they entered this draft?

So which player is now worth more than a speculative pick where as you say there are "no guarantees"?
None, Gibcus might have and we hopefully will find out this year.

Our 18 - 20 drafts were poor.

Recently better. Brown is doing fine and could raise to become a very good player, again hard to judge after o few games. Campbell was impressive, again first year player. Green surprised. Others are building, like all teams.

Relentlessly optimistic is different to knowing which players, most of which you have seen very little off, will make it or not as you seem to be able to do. Who would have picked Campbell to play 18 games in his first season.

Sort of irrelevant now. The good ones will stay, the not so good will be replaced by players of this draft which all experts say is a good one, or next, of which we will most likely have pick 1-3.

That is what I was thinking.

You could argue Richmond could of kept one of Bolton or Dan Rioli.

Richmond got picks 10, 11 and 18 from my team.

I won't be shocked or surprised if one of those draft picks in the Bolton trade is exchanged for a 2025 1st rounder
You don't keep players that have helped bring you premierships and want to refresh their careers, that can hurt you. Thanks for everything and no hard feelings.

3 players wanted out. Liam Baker was not contracted in 2025.

Dan Rioli was contracted until 2027.

Shai Bolton was under contract until 2028.

If Richmond really wanted to, they could of held on to Rioli and Bolton for one more season.

If they did, would Richmond would of got pick 6 from the suns next season? Unlikely as I see them contending for finals.

Had Shai Bolton stayed on Richmonds list in 2025, would Freo still offered as much compo as they currently did? Unlikely .
Not really sure what your post has got to do with mine?

We made sure we got the best out of it as we could, as I did say no point keeping players on your list if their hearts is no longer in it.

The best thing about this strategy is that it will sell hope

Take the pressure of everyone and play the long game

New fitness boss appointed, 8 new blue chip kids, beautiful

It will be a pleasure going to watch the kids debut and become stars

Reminds be of 2010. Recon we may surprise next year, depends how good these kids are, and if the new fitness boss can keep our experienced players on the park

Very exciting

Whilst you can force contracted players to stay if they want out, it is usually not a great idea, especially if they extended under a previous coach. They might not be buying in to what the new coach wants to do.

I think Richmond will bounce back quicker than some do... as long as they can get more games out of their senior group, quite a few mature players missed a lot of footy this year, had a lot of LTIs this year. The under 24 group is just pretty thin but that happens after a period of success. They will get a big injection of talent if they take all their picks to the draft this year, and in the next few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None, Gibcus might have and we hopefully will find out this year.

Our 18 - 20 drafts were poor.

Recently better. Brown is doing fine and could raise to become a very good player, again hard to judge after o few games. Campbell was impressive, again first year player. Green surprised. Others are building, like all teams.

Relentlessly optimistic is different to knowing which players, most of which you have seen very little off, will make it or not as you seem to be able to do. Who would have picked Campbell to play 18 games in his first season.

Sort of irrelevant now. The good ones will stay, the not so good will be replaced by players of this draft which all experts say is a good one, or next, of which we will most likely have pick 1-3.
Why bother even talking about the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts.

Your side won premierships in 2019 and 2020.

Even then, the 2020 draft was literally a lottery. Local leagues in victoria was cancelled with the corona virus.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back