List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite amazing how the dynasty team prior to 2021 hasn't been able to win a final since then, isn't it?
Not really. They won three flags then paid the price through equalisation.
The fact that sides haven’t been able to go back to back and we have seen the 21 premiers decline, 22 and 23 premiers not make the finals the next year is testament to this.

But we digress from the topic of this thread.

The trouble with what you are posting is it is way out of step with what the informed majority is saying.

The 2 blokes on Gettable for eg have been saying all year there are up to 6-7 players who could justifiably go pick 1 in most drafts. I have no idea as I have hardly watched the prospects, but those who are watching seem to be tipping this draft as being something like the best elements of the 2017(30+ depth) & 2018(strong top dozen) drafts rolled into one draft. And recruiters & List Managers I have heard interviewed seem to be confirming this is also their view. You could be right but you are out of step with a lot of people whose business it is to know.
6-7 players who could go no1 any season?? Nobody is saying that. They are saying there is no standout no1 prospect this season as it’s very even at the top.

Where do you rank Geelong's 2020 version relative to the other teams you have put on the park since the turn of the century?

The supporters of the teams that regularly contend - Geelong, Sydney and Collingwood - are best placed to assess the strength of the competition at any given point in time.

We can appreciate how strong our own team is during a given year/era, and then we see how they perform relative to the competition.

Nowhere near as good as the 2007-2009 teams. Not near the 2011 team either. The reality is between 2012 and 2021 (inclusive), Geelong's teams were all fairly similar. Good enough to beat most sides, good enough to destroy crap ones, but frequently lost - and lost horrendously - to high quality opponents under finals pressure. The 2020 team made it through to the Grand final, so must be better just by that fact.

6-7 players who could go no1 any season?? Nobody is saying that. They are saying there is no standout no1 prospect this season as it’s very even at the top.

I have not heard anyone whose job it is to know say there is not a worthy number 1 pick, which is what you are inferring.

I have heard some of them saying there is no Harley Reid or Horne-Francis, but most drafts don't have one of those. Every draft is different, but even in the very murky but deep 2017 draft, the 2 best(ultimately) midfielders went at picks 2 & 4 with Paddy Dow the only flop in the top 5.

What I have seen and heard of the top few rated mids in this draft seems very promising, especially from the perspective of what Richmond needs, explosive mids who are damaging by foot. That is all Richmond will be caring about, whether they can get the players to perform well in the roles they need most. Same for all the clubs with high picks. And there is absolutely no reason that should be a less likely outcome in this draft than it is in most drafts.

I have not heard anyone whose job it is to know say there is not a worthy number 1 pick, which is what you are inferring.

I have heard some of them saying there is no Harley Reid or Horne-Francis, but most drafts don't have one of those. Every draft is different, but even in the very murky but deep 2017 draft, the 2 best(ultimately) midfielders went at picks 2 & 4 with Paddy Dow the only flop in the top 5.

What I have seen and heard of the top few rated mids in this draft seems very promising, especially from the perspective of what Richmond needs, explosive mids who are damaging by foot. That is all Richmond will be caring about, whether they can get the players to perform well in the roles they need most. Same for all the clubs with high picks. And there is absolutely no reason that should be a less likely outcome in this draft than it is in most drafts.
There is one player who is above the rest and it’s Ashcroft, the rest even out quite quickly for the majority of the first round.

I will put it this way, what was a draft with an elite top end ( considered at the time) was the 2018 crop. This years is not considered that at all.

In 2018 you had Walsh rankine king brothers lukoscious rozzee and Bailey smith….

Now that was an elite 6-7, not this years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back