List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

I will rephrase, he is unanimously considered the best player in the draft, much like daicos due to being F/S, he is tipped to go a bit lower on some draft boards.

You’re welcome

Are you absolutely sure you want to die on the 'unanimous' hill?

If you said he is unanimously considered as equal to the others in the group that are in the pick 1 discussion, I'd agree. And so would anyone paying attention.

But many other 'draft gurus' consider him in the top 6ish, and not 1.

I think you are not getting heat because you are saying he could be the best from this year. But the word "unanimously".

And Cal Twomey, by definition, cannot be unanimous. He is one person.

I will rephrase, he is unanimously considered the best player in the draft, much like daicos due to being F/S, he is tipped to go a bit lower on some draft boards.

You’re welcome
If it makes you feel better - I think ashcroft is 'currently' the best of the top 8 - marginally - and would've prob gone number 1 if not for F/S but I know there are several experts that disagree with me - hence not 'unanimous'. I think there are several players that may be better than him in the long run but because they have had injuries and he has put together a good 2024 - Ashcroft would present a low risk at no.1

AFL has created this system and teams do their best within it. List sizes are too small, draft is completely compromised and cap minimums are too high = teams don't have a lot of levers at their disposal.

You’re welcome
Daicos was clear no.1, might not have been like Reid, but pretty hot favourite. Ashcroft is not in that league as an 18 year old.

Are you absolutely sure you want to die on the 'unanimous' hill?

If you said he is unanimously considered as equal to the others in the group that are in the pick 1 discussion, I'd agree. And so would anyone paying attention.

But many other 'draft gurus' consider him in the top 6ish, and not 1.

I think you are not getting heat because you are saying he could be the best from this year. But the word "unanimously".

And Cal Twomey, by definition, cannot be unanimous. He is one person.
I cannot believe cats fans do not know what unanimous means, I will give you an example of the correct use of the word below

What is unanimous is the following

Richmond did very well from Ashcroft being so highly rated, Sam Marshall as well, that is unanimous

Those two players unanimously being highly rated meant that Richmond could unload all their junk picks for pick 20

So it is unanimous, that other than Brisbane, no other team has done as well as Richmond with Ashcroft being in the draft pool

And that's what the draft is all about, just being better than your competitors, and on this draft, as far as draft picks go, Richmond has done better than anyone, thanks to Ashcroft

That is unanimous.

Daicos was clear no.1, might not have been like Reid, but pretty hot favourite. Ashcroft is not in that league as an 18 year old.
Im not even sure he was a unanimous no1. I remember a lot of arguing over whether Daicos or JHF would be No1. Plus we know that GWS recruiters also rated Darcy above Daicos hence they actually bid on him (they didnt bid on Daicos)

Did you even click that last link?

"Perhaps the best player this year's talent-rich pool of prospects has to offer"

Or is clicking links also trolling Richmond?
Let's have a closer look at that link Wojokeski... pay close attention to what is written about pick 8. Makes me wonder if you got past what you thought was a "gotcha" with the Ashcroft write-up. I actually know the answer - no you didn't, peanut.

Pick 1: Finn O'Sullivan - it's O'Sullivan's impact and damage that separates him from the pack.

Pick 2: Levi Ashcroft - Perhaps the best player this year's talent-rich pool of prospects has to offer

Pick 4: Jagga Smith - cunning and intelligent, stellar year across every level, earned plenty of praise for his leadership, getting the nod as captain of the U18 All-Australian team and the Talent League Team of the Year.

Pick 5: Sid Draper - six games at the senior SANFL level for the Panthers proved to be one of the best purple patches AFL recruiters would've come by in 2024. Crows could have the pick of the bunch with the selection of Draper.

Pick 8: Josh Smillie - There seems to be a near-clear top eight names atop this year's draft pool, meaning the Saints could be left to wait and see who of the octet is left for them to select. That in no way takes away from Smillie, who remains as good of a chance to go close to Pick 1.

Cal twomey is the draft guru And has him no1 like most others. A lot are tipping him further down because they don’t believe Richmond will bid on him. He is unanimously considered the best player of the draft.

His VFL form was light years ahead of any of the players Richmond trialed in their VFL also
This is what the "draft guru" (your words) Cal Twomey has to say about Finn O'Sullivan, who he has at #4.

"Recruiters haven't seen the best of O'Sullivan this year but his overhead marking, smarts and potential still makes him a No.1 pick contender".

Does that sound unanimous to you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, barely anyone drafts the best player at pick 1. It requires the player who turns out best to also be the highest rated as a 17yo.

But never despair, Richmond gets 8 attempts in the top 30 in the 2024 draft.

Geelong gets zero attempts in the top 40. Good luck with that.

Geelong have never built a premiership team with 1st round picks.

They are an enigma. They took Selwood top 10. But have blown alot of 1st rounders on guys who didn't make it.

Now 2nd round and later picks. Geelong are competition champions in landing quality talent with later picks.

Geelong have never built a premiership team with 1st round picks.

They are an enigma. They took Selwood top 10. But have blown alot of 1st rounders on guys who didn't make it.

Now 2nd round and later picks. Geelong are competition champions in landing quality talent with later picks.

Are they really? Show us all the later picks taken by every club over the period you are referring to then, so we can compare.

Also, it is pretty difficult to build a premiership team from first round picks when you:

A) trade just about every possible first round pick away for establishned talent(later years), and
B) only needed to use picks in the 40's to secure Hawkins, Ablett, Ablett and Scarlett. To go with first round picks J Corey, J Bartel, J Kelly, A Mackie, T Varcoe, J Selwood, H Taylor, D Menzel, C Guthrie.

But I would say they built their dynasty team around what were in reality 11-12 first round picks, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
This is what the "draft guru" (your words) Cal Twomey has to say about Finn O'Sullivan, who he has at #4.

"Recruiters haven't seen the best of O'Sullivan this year but his overhead marking, smarts and potential still makes him a No.1 pick contender".

Does that sound unanimous to you?
Again, much like nick daicos being the clear no1 player in the draft pool and going no4 due to being a F/S pick, it is similar with Ashcroft this season. You are not getting your hands on the best player in the crop

Again, much like nick daicos being the clear no1 player in the draft pool and going no4 due to being a F/S pick, it is similar with Ashcroft this season. You are not getting your hands on the best player in the crop

Seems pretty important to you. How much do you think Richmond really cares whether they select the best player in the draft this year? I think they might be just trying to build a cohesive team comrade.

Seems pretty important to you. How much do you think Richmond really cares whether they select the best player in the draft this year? I think they might be just trying to build a cohesive team comrade.
I can only imagine they would prefer he was available, but are working with what’s available in front of them of cause.

Not fair you guys are being robbed of the best player in the pool

There is no consensus to who is the number one player in this year’s draft. Far greater football minds than “geelong_crazy26” agree on this.

It’s baffling why you’re choosing to die on this hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back