List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance set standards and instilled the defensive system which was maintained after he left. I wouldn't undersell his contribution.

And yes, that the Tiges got 2 flags without their most important defender was an incredible achievement by the whole group. Could Cats have done it without Scarlet, or Hawks without Hodge? Hhmmmmm.
Not downplaying his contribution at all. Just saying that of the many, many talent holes we have to fill to be a premiership team, key defender is not one of them.

I thought I would have a look at how teams have faired playing kids. (Debuts) Year.

The debuts are draft picks not trades.

(87) 2020 (94) 2021, (84) 2022, (70) 2023 (76) 2024

2020: Adelaide 9 debuts and the spoon. Sydney and GCS next with 7 debuts each finished bottom 5.

2021: Adelaide 9 debuts. Pies 9 debuts. Hawthorn 7 debuts. All bottom 5. North won the spoon with 2 debuts that year.

2022: West Coast 10 debuts second last. Hawthorn next with 8 and Essendon 7. Hawks 13th Essendon bottom 5.

2023: Hawthorn 7 , Richmond 6 both bottom 5 and West Coast 6 plus the spoon. Collingwood win flag see 2021.

2024: Pies, Richmond won the spoon, North, St Kilda and West Coast all 6 debutants. North and West Coast bottom 5.

Admittedly I actually don't don't what to make of this. Its cold and wet. I thought teams might be playing more kids which might be encouraging for the Tigers fielding a young team. Debuts have dropped in the last two seasons.

Like always you need to nail recruiting, coaching and drafting it seems. Hence the positions North and West Coast are in.

It’s not tanking being genuinely shit and a poor culture to the point your best players want out. That’s just a poorly run club
Or they realise they should move for mutual benefit, staying at Richmond means winning 9 games a year for next 6 years, without any top 4 picks coming in the door. The club becomes Hawthorn 2019 to 2023, Essendon 2015 to 2024.

Or they realise they should move for mutual benefit, staying at Richmond means winning 9 games a year for next 6 years, without any top 4 picks coming in the door. The club becomes Hawthorn 2019 to 2023, Essendon 2015 to 2024.
It probably wouldn’t be 9 wins a year given they only won two games this year. It will be a few years down the bottom to come. More north Melbourne as an equivalent or Melbourne early 2010’s

I thought I would have a look at how teams have faired playing kids. (Debuts) Year.

The debuts are draft picks not trades.

(87) 2020 (94) 2021, (84) 2022, (70) 2023 (76) 2024

2020: Adelaide 9 debuts and the spoon. Sydney and GCS next with 7 debuts each finished bottom 5.

2021: Adelaide 9 debuts. Pies 9 debuts. Hawthorn 7 debuts. All bottom 5. North won the spoon with 2 debuts that year.

2022: West Coast 10 debuts second last. Hawthorn next with 8 and Essendon 7. Hawks 13th Essendon bottom 5.

2023: Hawthorn 7 , Richmond 6 both bottom 5 and West Coast 6 plus the spoon. Collingwood win flag see 2021.

2024: Pies, Richmond won the spoon, North, St Kilda and West Coast all 6 debutants. North and West Coast bottom 5.

Admittedly I actually don't don't what to make of this. Its cold and wet. I thought teams might be playing more kids which might be encouraging for the Tigers fielding a young team. Debuts have dropped in the last two seasons.

Like always you need to nail recruiting, coaching and drafting it seems. Hence the positions North and West Coast are in.
Richmond may have debuted only 6, but we used 42 players in the season, the most of all clubs.

The only 2 players at the club yet to debut are 2 category B rookies and Gray, a mid year recruit who was about to debut after kicking 4 in the VFL before doing a hammy with minutes to go. So the cupboard was pretty bare. Only 1 player played every game for Richmond last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard we are giving 6+11 for north’s 2 and F1

Idk if North are drunk cause that’s an amazing deal.

This year: 1,2,10,18,20,23,24

Next year could be: 1,2,21

Woah

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. “It’s a form of tanking” the Richmond rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back