Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey...I resemble that remark
From my interactions with folk from bigfooty I can clearly infer that you are drinking beer 100% of the time.

I was just thinking about the poster - was it schmuttt ??? - who said you can't make any critical comment about Hogan without being jumped on by the other side or something similar.

Problem is that the polarised view of Hogan means neither extreme position is accurate, so everyone thinks everyone else is wrong. Hogan is very probably not the best young forward for a generation / as important as Wayne Carey / worth 15 million over 10 years. However, he's also not the total sook / bad attitude / flog who is refusing to sign out of arrogance and general flogginess. Truth is something less spectacular I think. Very promising forward who could make an impact early because of physical maturity young, with further potential. Absolutely worth anyone's 1st pick to draft, sure, and worth encouraging within the realms of what is good for the whole team to stay (so not 15 million). The attitude thing I personally think isn't so much of an issue and is being harped on by media etc. the kicking of late makes me nervous, but shouldn't be impossible to rectify, given his accuracy year 1 was good. But people are obviously bothered about his body language and fair enough, it's their call. For my part I think his work rate is excellent, but there are some things defensively he needs to work on. Second year blues a real possibility though. First year you play naturally, but lots of people fall down year 2 because they are working more towards team plans, future strategies etc, and it takes some time to gel, what with being a very inexperienced player.

I think it's all cool at this stage (but reserve melt down rights in the event he does something dumb)

I was just thinking about the poster - was it schmuttt ??? - who said you can't make any critical comment about Hogan without being jumped on by the other side or something similar.

Problem is that the polarised view of Hogan means neither extreme position is accurate, so everyone thinks everyone else is wrong. Hogan is very probably not the best young forward for a generation / as important as Wayne Carey / worth 15 million over 10 years. However, he's also not the total sook / bad attitude / flog who is refusing to sign out of arrogance and general flogginess. Truth is something less spectacular I think. Very promising forward who could make an impact early because of physical maturity young, with further potential. Absolutely worth anyone's 1st pick to draft, sure, and worth encouraging within the realms of what is good for the whole team to stay (so not 15 million). The attitude thing I personally think isn't so much of an issue and is being harped on by media etc. the kicking of late makes me nervous, but shouldn't be impossible to rectify, given his accuracy year 1 was good. But people are obviously bothered about his body language and fair enough, it's their call. For my part I think his work rate is excellent, but there are some things defensively he needs to work on. Second year blues a real possibility though. First year you play naturally, but lots of people fall down year 2 because they are working more towards team plans, future strategies etc, and it takes some time to gel, what with being a very inexperienced player.

I think it's all cool at this stage (but reserve melt down rights in the event he does something dumb)

I think also extremely rightly or wrongly the MFCSS is in full effect after all the players that have left and especially the 2 that dragged on through the media ( scully/Frawley )
Not really through the fault of Hogan because he isn't responsible for those who came before him but the contract running into the last year is gonna be ugly for everyone and I can understand our fans not wanting to do it again

I think also extremely rightly or wrongly the MFCSS is in full effect after all the players that have left and especially the 2 that dragged on through the media ( scully/Frawley )
Not really through the fault of Hogan because he isn't responsible for those who came before him but the contract running into the last year is gonna be ugly for everyone and I can understand our fans not wanting to do it again
Or our fans can grow up and be mature about it. The players don't owe us anything except effort on field and in training.

Or our fans can grow up and be mature about it. The players don't owe us anything except effort on field and in training.

What's mature about standing in front of a TV screaming at it for 2 hours, or constantly complaining about the umpires, or talking about which person you've never met is your favorite
There's no maturity about it that's the fun of it

"Jesse Hogan, I'm led to believe, is still telling people he's planning on returning to Perth at the end of next year."

Via Brad Hardie, here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to inform the club of his intentions by the start of trade week. Doesn't have to sign on in that timeframe, but if he wants to stay we need to know.

Freo aren't going to have the same currency in 2016 and we will get a far less value offer at end of 2017 as he is OOC.

Exactly and if he can get home a year earlier then he would be all over it.

He bettet not screw us over to help Freo get him for less.

My $0.02. If Jesse wants to go home I'd understand it. Family might be more important to him than work success. You can't really hold that against him if that was his priority. I would hold it against him though if he felt like that and didn't give the club the best chance to maximise his trade value.

If he is going I hope it's this year and that we can get Freo's first pick along with Harley Balic, provided his wrist is okay. He was a projected top ten pick who slid and is from Sandy Dragons so he'd be coming home. Would make it critical to retain the Pedo bear though.

Who do people think Freo would take first out of Hogan or McCarthy? Jesse is a hard one to peg. His marking is outstanding and he has got great footy smarts. On the flip side his goal kicking is a worry and he doesn't tackle much.

Who are these people that Hogan is still telling "I'm planning to return to Perth at the end of next year.

My guess is no one.

Would we be keen on Weller as part of a deal?
I'd think Weller, their first and a swap of next years second round picks or something would get it done if Hogan wanted out.

Who are these people that Hogan is still telling "I'm planning to return to Perth at the end of next year.

My guess is no one.

Does his manager have a reputation for talking too much?
Sorry for intruding. Tempy Tiger lured me on.

Fwiw, I think he will be staying with you, and Brad Hardie is full of excrement.

Does his manager have a reputation for talking too much?
Sorry for intruding. Tempy Tiger lured me on.

Fwiw, I think he will be staying with you, and Brad Hardie is full of excrement.
I couldn't even tell you who his manager is.

Hogan may well go back to Perth but if he wanted to why would he already know now that he is going to do it next year? If he wants to return he could do it this year. If he is still telling people and Hardie has got wind of it, i'm sure it has got back to people at Melbourne and they'd move him on this year.

My bet is Hogan has no idea what he wants to do yet.

I couldn't even tell you who his manager is.

Hogan may well go back to Perth but if he wanted to why would he already know now that he is going to do it next year? If he wants to return he could do it this year. If he is still telling people and Hardie has got wind of it, i'm sure it has got back to people at Melbourne and they'd move him on this year.

My bet is Hogan has no idea what he wants to do yet.

Matt Bain, according to Titus O'Reilly.
http://titusoreily.com/melbourne-chat-to-jesse-hogans-manager/

Even if he goes back to WA (Which I think he probably will), it is in the best interest of every WA journo to claim he is coming back to Perth (Except Gossage who is steadfast that he is no chance).

I love him and I'll be shattered if he goes, but we will be very well compensated and you could make an argument Petracca and Oliver will be better players anyway.

My $0.02. If Jesse wants to go home I'd understand it. Family might be more important to him than work success. You can't really hold that against him if that was his priority. I would hold it against him though if he felt like that and didn't give the club the best chance to maximise his trade value.

If he is going I hope it's this year and that we can get Freo's first pick along with Harley Balic, provided his wrist is okay. He was a projected top ten pick who slid and is from Sandy Dragons so he'd be coming home. Would make it critical to retain the Pedo bear though.

Who do people think Freo would take first out of Hogan or McCarthy? Jesse is a hard one to peg. His marking is outstanding and he has got great footy smarts. On the flip side his goal kicking is a worry and he doesn't tackle much.

Do you seriously think that's in any way a hard decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back