Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s probably the least balanced on his feet mid-fielder in the AFL ???

Thrashes around like a frog in a blender …. And the ball just exits away from him 😭

Wow! Just ****ing wow. Concussions, give me a spell, Joel Selwood can barely speak and could still play football with concussions. He’s let the fear of concussion dictate his football. Or, Jimmy webster ****ing broke him.. gotta go. Retire him hurt and sever his contract. Declare him medically unfit and request the afl to free up his PP

Have loved Jyza since day dot. Really have but this run of form is seriously troubling. We've got young blokes that badly need solid leadership on the ground and he's too busy giving free kicks away or just getting towled in every contest.

Whilst i think he needs a spell in the 2s we just cannot afford it right now.

Just got home so can finally put some thoughts down properly.

Put simply, Jy Simpkin on-field today was my single biggest concern.

I sit on the fence a few bays left of the benches and I get a real good perspective whenever the ball is on this side of the field. It was over on that side a lot today, and I was concentrating on watching Jy a lot.

He doesn't talk! He's the bloody captain and around stoppages he just dawdles around with his hands on his hips, looking down at the ground, totally disinterested. He's undisciplined, and isn't particularly skillful. He's not leading his team-mates in any way, shape, or form.

Say what you will about McDonald (who is also a spud), at least he talks!

Jy must be dropped. Perhaps the worst captains game I can recall seeing.

You are the standard you keep. You are the standard you set. Bla bla bla leadership, Oh Captain, my captain!
F*** the f*** off. Seriously

Feel free to add some more poetic assumptions to sum up how f***ing shithouse this guys footy is and the fact he has a contract till 2029 ffs

F****KKK ME NORTH

Last edited:

I sit on the fence a few bays left of the benches and I get a real good perspective whenever the ball is on this side of the field. It was over on that side a lot today, and I was concentrating on watching Jy a lot.

He doesn't talk! He's the bloody captain and around stoppages he just dawdles around with his hands on his hips, looking down at the ground, totally disinterested. He's undisciplined, and isn't particularly skillful. He's not leading his team-mates in any way, shape, or form.

They are both shocking leaders.

Leaders must talk and provide instruction. Verbally discipline people if required. Pretty basic stuff.

Jy's disposal by foot has always been sloppy. But the game appears to have quickened up on him. Perhaps due to the repeated concussions?
I watched him closely in the warmup today & I would say he'd be lucky if 50% of his kicks hit the intended target.

Dual B&F winner - so we know he can play.

But do you sign a small mid who can't kick on such a long deal??? That's my major concern. You could almost argue he is cooked now, but still has 5 years to go on his contract!!!! That's a sobering thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s gone from the kid with the dancing feet to the man who resembles a jogging zombie pretty much overnight.

Jimmy Webster the POS campaigner has truely destroyed this young man’s promising career.

His skills and natural footballing instincts are so bad nowadays it breaks my heart to see him struggle.

It's like he’s taking the field not because he wants to, it’s because he has to.

Losing Jy, Thomas’ and Goater’s natural footy talent in the space of 3-months has been a huge factor in our rapid decline.

Yep, he is actually having a negative effect on his teammates. It’s really sad considering he is a capable player.

There is a long list of things within the club's control that they have, time and time again, royally messed up.

There is also another list of things that err more on the side of s**t ****ing luck that has continously kicked us while we're down. Drafting a Port player with the #1 pick, the Hawthorn saga storm descending upon our brand new coach right after his appointment (with almost comical swiftness), Thomas making his presence at the club untenable and wasting everybody's time, Cunnington's cancer cutting his career short, Logue and Goater going down with LTI when we needed to develop our flailing backline the most.

Maybe giving Simpkin a six year contract is on the first list, but him having his brain absolutely scrambled by a worthless St Kilda thug is absolutely on the second. He has not looked right at all since then and it's actually disturbing to watch him out there presently.

There is a long list of things within the club's control that they have, time and time again, royally messed up.

There is also another list of things that err more on the side of s**t ****ing luck that has continously kicked us while we're down. Drafting a Port player with the #1 pick, the Hawthorn saga storm descending upon our brand new coach right after his appointment (with almost comical swiftness), Thomas making his presence at the club untenable and wasting everybody's time, Cunnington's cancer cutting his career short, Logue and Goater going down with LTI when we needed to develop our flailing backline the most.

Maybe giving Simpkin a six year contract is on the first list, but him having his brain absolutely scrambled by a worthless St Kilda thug is absolutely on the second. He has not looked right at all since then and it's actually disturbing to watch him out there presently.
Yeah, it's hard not to feel like that really wrecked him.

The fumbling is whats getting me.

In his first year he had sticky mits, even in a marking contest as an underdone kid coming off a broken leg.

For the last 18 months, he plays the game like he's contantly in a monsoon.

I literally laughed at him in the last qtr at one of the center bounces, LDU or Phliips won the clearance, Jy was attacking side, got some seperation, perfect handball to him and he was fumbling the ball like it was a cake of soap, he ended up with this weird throw on the boot as he'd not controlled the ball in his hands and it was a mung inside 50 to their defender......

He gave away some shocking frees yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back