Autopsy 2 point loss to Giants. - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An honest one. I honestly think you watch a different game to me. That's the only way I can explain your conclusions.

There is no way to argue this, I saw the ball getting to the outside where we had no outside players, you didn't. Like it's a "no it wasn't - yes it was" argument and there isn't a resolution to that.
What sort of a response is that

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd even go more literal.i think he watches footy in an actual parallel universe and his posts slip over into the universe I post on big footy. "I don't rate Tex" etc etc. The only explanation is that he watches different games of footy to me.
I reckon Deccas thinks when you watch a game, you watch for 'hack kicks' and inside mids failing to get the ball to a clean outside player.. generally watching for the inside mids to butcher it = parallel (negative) universe
Apologies for speaking for you Deccas..

No offence C88, but the GWS mids are all top picks, all really good players and all played really well.. Hard to stop in a congested game.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

exactly ... one kick ... it's hard to believe some of the stuff posted here is actually serious ...
one kick, one loss ... this group of players will improve NOT by chopping and changing and 'resting' and punishing young, inexperienced players for inevitable fluctuations in form ...
for all the things that went wrong, for the loss of hickey, for the bungled final minutes, it's one kick, one loss ...

Good problem to have.

Wicks has been quieter the last 2 weeks after a tremendous start to the year. I think these 2 are competing for this position. Wicks slightly ahead but if Hayward can string another game it'll create a good headache for selectors.
You need defensive pressure though in the modern game so I wouldn’t be dropping Wicks just yer
Wicks had a quiet game, Hayward had a blinder!! Heeney is a walk up start when hes fit. They've got a few weeks to work it out
Maybe this pressure for spots will keep Hayward getting 15-20 touches / game, and keep the defensive pressure up.. If so, Hayward will be hard to drop. Might kick 40+ this year

I reckon Deccas thinks when you watch a game, you watch for 'hack kicks' and inside mids failing to get the ball to a clean outside player.. generally watching for the inside mids to butcher it = parallel (negative) universe
Apologies for speaking for you Deccas..

No offence C88, but the GWS mids are all top picks, all really good players and all played really well.. Hard to stop in a congested game.

Or maybe it's just what I see? I thought the same issues were there against Adelaide's and Essendon's midfield groups, which do not have a lot of top picks. I didn't complain about the midfield against Brisbane or Richmond, because I didn't see a problem with the midfield against Brisbane or Richmond. Despite what you might think, I don't just look for things to complain about and will always give credit where I think it is due.

Heeney should be trialed starting in the centre and pushing forward.

That gives Hayward a good spot

That forces someone out of the midfield mix too then lol

Not necessarily an easy way.

Good problems to have I guess though I feel like our overall talent depth is still pretty thin (after watching the reserves yesterday) but our best 25/26 are very good (or at least will be).

Yep. Way too slow in the middle with those three together. And we become more defensive when they are in. No one hunting the ball, all trying to negate instead. That's real bad.

But we got beaten, JUST, and I know we are better than that so I'm not salty at all. We'll bounce back.

Also, I think Campbell needs to be injected into the mids. He's better in traffic and gets lost following players around. Get him around the ball and let him use those fast reflexes and quick thinking he's got. He is miles better hunting the ball than following a man.

LET's ******* ATTACK HORSE!!!!!!

That is the complete opposite for Campbell.

His one knock as a junior is that he doesn't find the football enough, the exact reason why Gulden is and will be the better player overall.

What they have Campbell doing at present is perfect for his development, play as a defender and learn to read the play from behind the ball and play on the resting midfielder who will take him to the football to teach where to find it at senior level.

You live and learn, and every premiership team in the past few years have had ups and downs. A sign of a good team isn't winning every game, it's timing your run and winning when you have to.

Hearing the JPK interview gave me hope that we knew what we did wrong. I don't know what will happen this year, but I hope to see a few more games like the first 3, even if we don't make finals I want to see us trying to play that game consistently.

every week
Was great to see Hayward and not Rohan play yesterday!!
Hayward got 18 touches marks, tackles, goals, goal assists - good game. If he averages around 15 touches / game (and not the 5-6 Rohanesque), he'll have a bloody good year.

With hoe he played yesterday you would expect him there week

Wicks had a quiet game, Hayward had a blinder!! Heeney is a walk up start when hes fit. They've got a few weeks to work it out
Maybe this pressure for spots will keep Hayward getting 15-20 touches / game, and keep the defensive pressure up.. If so, Hayward will be hard to drop. Might kick 40+ this year
If it came down to a straight choice, Hayward’s best is better than Wicks’ best. The question is who can bring their best, or something close to it, on a regular basis. There’s also the question of team balance as they don’t play the exact same role. Hayward has more ‘X’ factor but Wicks deserves to be in the mix and may yet prove to be a more consistent and dependable performer in the long term. A spot is there for the taking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it came down to a straight choice, Hayward’s best is better than Wicks’ best. The question is who can bring their best, or something close to it, on a regular basis. There’s also the question of team balance as they don’t play the exact same role. Hayward has more ‘X’ factor but Wicks deserves to be in the mix and may yet prove to be a more consistent and dependable performer in the long term. A spot is there for the taking.

Yeah I think Wicks and Hayward play different roles. Wicks is a more consistent defensive forward with his pressure and tackling. I think he would more likely be replaced by Bell or Ronke. Hayward seems more like an attacking medium forward.

lol.. am sure I read that before ;)

I get you and many others remain on the JPK is a champion and vital to our midfield bandwagon. I admire the bloke and what he has done for the Club. However yesterday showed his strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, he remains a beast at the contest at CCs and other clearances. In some ways the game we played was on his terms. When in possession we rarely played on and too often bombed it down the line to a crowd. That game is in his DNA and Longmire's probably as well. Last week we were lucky; this week not so much.

I am happy for us to have Plans B and C to execute if Plan A does not work. The problem for the Champion is he is not able to adapt to Plan A and the make up of the team is geared to Plan A. He is physically unable to chase and apply pressure when the other mob wins a clearance and are in transition.

What I would really like is for all the Coaches to review their own performance, before they go through individual player reviews. How we entered I50 should be on the list as well as the smashing we copped in the mids.

No doubt a couple of the younger players will be uneasy about their chances of staying in the team. IMO Wicks and McDonald never stood much of a chance. They could create all the space but they were not going to be hit up while our I50's were bombed in. Bizarre as Franklin and Reid are not big pack markers of the ball.

Sorry BfB

As it stands, I have little doubt JPK will be among the first picked for the Suns game

I don’t doubt your opinion is genuinely held and you have your outlined reasons. However your repetition in almost every post in every thread is beginning to just look like hatred.

Thought Melican had a decent game.

Melican 7 marks. Only Franklin had more for us. GWS tall fwds Himmelberg 5, Riccardi 3, Finlayson 1.
Melican 2 of the 7 marks were contested. Only Franklin had more (5) and equal with Hayward (2).
Melican 10 intercepts. Next best for us, McCartin & Dawson 7.
Melican 10 one-percenters. Next best for us McCartin 7.

Melican some howlers, which tend to stand out. But still 73% DE, better for example than Dawson, Lloyd, Campbell & McCartin.

Still hopeful that McCartin & Melican can be our KPDs for the foreseeable future.
Rampe back in as a 3rd 'tall' and a few players in the reserves who can hopefully provide options.

I don’t doubt your opinion is genuinely held and you have your outlined reasons. However your repetition in almost every post in every thread is beginning to just look like hatred.

It is not.

You have got this right. However JPK is a massive liability. I am always in terror when he kicks the ball. I know he has signed up to a 1 year extension, but expect he could not believe his luck. He just duds it up nowadays.

Pour it on me ya front office types.
Not many posts in here made me chuckle, but this one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back