News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as if we're guaranteed to pick him up, all the article said was that we were impressed by his performance

according to the article we said that. can anyone actually confirm who was there? was it even a recruiter?

lets remember this is the same paper that adamantly defended cousins for years when there were wide spread rumors of his indiscretions. rumors is probably a bit light, it was more common knowledge.

the article stinks of trying to pump up strijk and increase his market value.

Kosi having scans today & depending on results may have surgery next week.He's had some hip & shoulder soreness. Is contracted for 2013.

Scott Watters says Jason Gram wasn't omitted for form, was more maintenance & soreness issue

Scott Watters says Jason Gram wasn't omitted for form, was more maintenance & soreness issue

I looked at the replay and noticed that he injured his wrist/arm in a spoiling effort on Chapman late in the game, and he stopped in his tracks and allowed Chapman to have a shot on goal, and kinda jogged around (up and down the corridor without seeming to have a direct opponent) for the rest of the game.

Although I wonder how impressed Watters was that he allowed a shot on goal via a 50m penalty for rolling his eyes towards the umpire!

I looked at the replay and noticed that he injured his wrist/arm in a spoiling effort on Chapman late in the game, and he stopped in his tracks and allowed Chapman to have a shot on goal, and kinda jogged around (up and down the corridor without seeming to have a direct opponent) for the rest of the game.

Although I wonder how impressed Watters was that he allowed a shot on goal via a 50m penalty for rolling his eyes towards the umpire!

Geez I'd hate to be trying to play footy with a nervous tick or somthing these days.

The 50 was because he didn't return the ball 1st. Return the ball to free kick recipient then roll eyes, happened to Roo in Brisbane I think too

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145553/default.aspx

AFL GREAT Leigh Matthews believes St Kilda shouldn't offer Brendon Goddard the captaincy as an enticement to stay at the club because he doesn't see him as a good leader.
Goddard is out of contract at the end of the season and has said he wants to remain a Saint. However, he is believed to be weighing up his options as a restricted free agent.
Matthews said he didn't like Goddard's "on-field persona" and the captaincy shouldn't be offered to him to influence his decision.
"The way I see Brendon on the field - I don't know what he's like around the club - he's not the kind of bloke I want leading my team," Matthews told AFL.com.au's Access All Areas on Friday.

When did St Kilda become Leigh Matthews's team?

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/08/27/dempster-finds-freedom-under-watters/

TOUGH St Kilda defender Sean Dempster has revealed a new found freedom in his game under first-year senior coach Scott Watters.
Dempster confessed after his Saints had inflicted a cutting 128-point destruction of Greater Western Sydney, that his new coach had encouraged greater dash and daring in his game from backward of centre.
The 2005 Sydney Swans premiership utility revealed that Watters has had a profound influence in his more attacking game this season, despite the Saints slipping out of finals for the first time in five years.
“A massive impact,” a blunt Dempster said of Watters.
“He’s given me a lot of confidence to go for my marks and to be a bit more attacking.
“I’ve been a half-back tagger for the last couple of years and I enjoyed doing that and doing my bit for the team.
“But it’s good to be off the leash a little bit and be able to use a bit of natural ability.”
The reliable Dempster has lifted his weekly average possession tally to 20 this season, after managing around 14 a game last season and only around 10 and 12 at each outing in 2009-10 when he played in all three Saints grand final appointments.
He has also increased his weekly marking tally to almost seven a game, up from four a week last year.
He conceded to mixed emotions without September engagements this year for a first time since joining the Saints five seasons back.
But Dempster is committed to resurgence with a new wave of Saints emerging under the Watters regime.
“We haven’t had that for four or five years now, so it is a bit strange,” he said.
“But we know what we need to get out of the next couple of weeks.
“We’ve got some young players that we’re blooding and hopefully we can carry our form into next year.”

Had Dempster played finals every other year of his career before now?

I reckon he might have. :mad:

When in doubt ask the club on twitter. Hopefully they reply to me though!!

Had Dempster played finals every other year of his career before now?

Did his knee in 2008 (and missed finals). I was gutted, as I'd been pumping him up (and getting nothing from the Saints Board).

Did his knee in 2008 (and missed finals). I was gutted, as I'd been pumping him up (and getting nothing from the Saints Board).

Club he has been involved in has played finals every year though

On the back of his best performance for the season against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday, Tom Ledger said he wanted to prove his ability at the top level.

The midfielder ran out a full game and racked up a career high of 21 disposals, capping the day off with a fourth quarter goal.

“I’ve been working on a few things and I just wanted to show that I’m good enough to play in this team and regularly,” Ledger said.

“I also wanted to prove I could run out four quarters to the coaching staff, and really have an impact in those four quarters and not let off for a quarter or two.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/145798/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some straight shooting from Laids pre-match (not sure if posted elsewhere).

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3aw/audio/250812-Football-Preview.mp3

from 33 min 10 secs

Interested in Port job? Wouldn't have thought so.

Pissweak from Mike Sheahan (no surprise). Said "Paul Roos expressed a view that St Kilda's season was a failure by not making the finals. Do you share that view?" No I don't. Pretty poor research by Roosy.

(on young players) Who has impressed you the most? Stanley before injury. Saad & Milera. Cripps, Siposs. Simpkin. Geary.

Kosi's future? Contracted for next year.

Siposs hasn't been given continuity? Has a few things to work on. When he does it, he gets opportunities. If you pick the team on talent, he'd be in every week. (Sheahan outs himself as a complete tosser again)

How do you prepare for GWS? We got 1-3 year players to review Friday, 4-7 did the research, and the team sat and watched the first quarter (when GWS kicked 6 goals).

Silly question on the Carlton game from Richo. Laidley mentioned the club is going off to do high altitude training post-season.

St Kilda Football Club will undertake a High Performance Altitude Training Camp in Boulder, Colorado, later this year as part of the club’s 2013 pre-season program.

The elite training program will allow the Saints playing group and coaching staff to maximise their physical, mental and technical preparation in a high performance environment in preparation for 2013.

Saints’ Senior Coach Scott Watters said the initiative will enable the Club to aggressively seek continual improvement and is a clear message to our supporters and to the players that we need to be committed to progressing every area of our club and the program.

“This is a significant addition to our program that will help develop our players physically, technically and culturally,” Scott Watters said.

READ MORE - http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146141/default.aspx

St Kilda Football Club will undertake a High Performance Altitude Training Camp in Boulder, Colorado, later this year as part of the club’s 2013 pre-season program.

The elite training program will allow the Saints playing group and coaching staff to maximise their physical, mental and technical preparation in a high performance environment in preparation for 2013.

Saints’ Senior Coach Scott Watters said the initiative will enable the Club to aggressively seek continual improvement and is a clear message to our supporters and to the players that we need to be committed to progressing every area of our club and the program.

“This is a significant addition to our program that will help develop our players physically, technically and culturally,” Scott Watters said.

READ MORE - http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146141/default.aspx

i think this is great.

Watters is doing a very good job in ramping up skill and development of kids etc in as short of time as possible given that Lyon did not much in developing young players.

I flicked at the Daily Filth, and managed to get past their joy at Ratten's demise and puff pieces down at the Lexus Centre (or whatever it's called nowadays). The Sports Confidential section had some pieces on Kosi and Saad. If no-one's got their hands on it to post, I'll find a copy later.

Speaking of Saad, has this one been posted yet?

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/146052/default.aspx

"I started it about three or four years ago. Me and my uncle Sherif pretty much went out and worked on a routine, and that's pretty much mine," Saad told AFL.com.au.

"He takes 13 steps and has exactly the same routine. He'll do the last do steps with running but he'll only take 13.

"I tried to do that but I couldn't do it. I just found myself walking about another 30 or 40 steps so I've done it for the last three years and so far it's working."

Saad isn't sure why his unique routine works so well. He doesn't know if it's to do with the lowering of his heart rate, or the fact it allows his head to clear after a busy passage of play.

"It's pretty funny that I don't count and it averages around the same.

Saad's uncle, Sherif Mohamed, has similar success with a planned run up for set shots.

Playing in division two of the Western Region Football League for the Yarraville Seddon Eagles, Mohamed has kicked 71 goals from 16 games, including a bag of 11 in June against North Sunshine.

"He pretty much taught me everything I know. We used to go and kick-to-kick all the time so he's pretty much taught me how to drop punt," Saad said.

"It's working for both of us. He taught me well."

Saad, who was born in Australia but grew up in Egypt, said he had exceeded his expectations for the season - but was admittedly looking forward to a break.

"It's starting to take its toll but I'm loving it. I'd keep playing any time. Next pre-season will hopefully help me get through that,"

By the way, thanks to everyone for the constant media updates.

I am going overseas late next month, and i appreciate the fact that i can log on here and find most of the media articles about the saints in one place.

The other article has popped up (as has the proposal!!!).

http://www.news.com.au/sport/love-i...sneak-ahmed-saad/story-fnekuu1k-1226461650097

Ahmed Saad popped the question to girlfriend Elif Elle Atmaca this week - in a two-seater plane over the city.

After flying over Melbourne, Saad pointed to a sign in a paddock on the outskirts of the city.

"El, Will You Marry Me?'' it said in big letters.

His high school sweetheart was overwhelmed as he pulled out a sparkling ring.

"The most amazing proposal ever!! In a two-seater aircraft with beautiful city views!!! @ahmedsaad23 I love you,'' Elif tweeted.

639341-ahmed-saad.jpg

The other article (with BJ as the stand-in editor of Sports Confidential) was:

St Kilda, like most AFL clubs, has a wheel of misfortune to penalise player indiscretions.

We call ours White's Wheel, because pale-haired Clinton Jones spins it.

Big forward Justin Koschitzke, who came a cropper recently, was forced to collect $20 washing car windscreens at traffic lights.

He chose the main intersection at Frankston to do his penance and was on the airwaves in an instant. "Kosi's washing windscreens in Frankston" several callers to SEN said.

Dean Polo was given what seemed to be the relatively harmless task of having to buy a movie ticket at the Southland cinema complex - except he had to do it dressed in his full St Kilda playing gear - boots and all.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/progressive-saints-building-for-future-20120830-253hj.html

The Saints won only two of seven matches this season when the margin was 18 points or less.

A win against Carlton ... would also give them a 12-10 season record that would surpass - by half a game - what they managed last season, which was enough for sixth and a finals berth.

Watters said one of the most pleasing aspects of his first season in charge was how many of the club's previously unproven players showed they deserved their place on the list.

''We think our list has developed,'' he said. ''We probably feel we've found six, seven, eight players who our supporters, and maybe even internally, we weren't sure were going to be really able to stand up.

''We think we've increased the depth of our list, and some of our mid-tier players have really had break-out seasons. Jarryn Geary has been terrific; David Armitage has been fantastic; Sean Dempster is not a young player but he's evolving his game and has improved as well.''

Watters insisted that did not reduce the importance of Hayes returning for another season following his stunning comeback this season from knee surgery.
''Personally, I think we need Lenny [and] the leadership he offers,'' the coach said. ''Some of our midfielders are still very young … so what they can learn from a player who's into his 15th season is enormous.''

Hayes, who turns 33 in January, said yesterday he would have no qualms if Watters sought to replicate the approach of Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss, who has used the substitute rule to nurse Brownlow medallist Simon Black through the season.

A left-field but interesting vid on the Saints website with Andrew Bogut.

The Saints are letting him use the altitude simulation facilities, and (even though he loves the bummers) he was very complimentary towards the Saints and what they'd built.

There's also another vid with Peter Burge on the Colorado trip.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back