List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I read that Reef McInnes might get delisted I’ve always been a fan 194 cm and only 21 years old could be worth a look
He played a similar role to Owens. Don't think we have space for another tall non-KPF type player as he doesn't look like he can play midfield.

Think he could be a good pick up but not sure he's the right fit for us.

I know Charlie Dean had his fans a few years ago, it seems he hasn't been offered a contract yet. What are the knocks on him? He seems to have solid numbers.

I know Denver-Barras has been called a list clogger on here, but I still think the natural talent is there. I think he is being unfairly dismissed by everyone. A Ross Lyon system where he needs to work his butt off could be perfect for him.

Phillips is a bit of a concern, from what I've seen in the VFL he isn't overly quick and he tends to mark in dangerous spots. Sounds weird that he can mark it and its negative but I see situations where he should punch and would be mauled by a bigger and more experienced forward in the big time.

If we think we can develop or trade (next year) a long term option, I'm not against Tomlinson as a stop gap.

Darragh Joyce was a solid back up for a premiership team this year. To say AFL rejects are useless is completely unreasonable, they are usually better than most state league players.
The order we should pursue those you've listed;

1. Tomlinson
2. take no one
3. DGB
4. Dean
5. Phillips

Perhaps.....but next season any club can just as easily draft any player we attract. So there is absolutely no draft advantage to us.

The advantage supposedly is to improve Sandy so that our younger players will better develop.

What they really need to do is to hire in some quality VFL players now in order to improve the quality. Just hoping that some decent players may join us eventually just seems pretty nebulous and illogical to me.

Even more illogical is to commit to drafting one player from only one club every year, and Moreso one as weak as Sandy is.. This to me means that you will most likely just weaken our list every year (Remember, we have no draft priority over any Sandy player, if a gun joins us then he just nominates for draft for any club to pick).
There’s a host of reasons you don’t get a lot of talent to Sandy and this agreement does very little if anything to address that.

A good place to start is paying the guys you want a decent amount of money. Who’s coming to sandy when you get paid peanuts and are dumped every time the saints have a full list to choose from. It’s a simple fact that guys can get very good money playing local football and many are mature players who’d have zero interest in being a top up player.

Think I read somewhere else that Cole might be eligible
None of the Sandy Dragons players are eligible. Sandy VFL listed players only.

I currently think it will be Hugo Hall-Kahan. Good athletic profile, plays a position we could add depth in and still only 22.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they weren't AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.

Last edited:
None of the Sandy Dragons players are eligible. Sandy VFL listed players only.

I currently think it will be Hugo Hall-Kahan. Good athletic profile, plays a position we could add depth in and still only 22.

While I get concern about their quality, some of the delisted bin options being discussed arent much better. A few of the Sandy players regularly trained with us during the year and they never stood out as bad. You wouldnt have been able to guess they were AFL listed players unless you knew we didn't have players who wear those numbers. We know whoever is unlikely to make it and will be delisted in 12 months but every club takes players on who fill that criteria.
Yeah, I think we need to get as much media attention as we can when it happens. Other players seeing a less talented player get this chance might actually have a bigger impact than if he were a gun.

Hopefully BJ does a great job with the team next year too. Might be hard without Membrey/Hayes/Allison up forward for the Zebs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back