List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having players on your list that emphatically do not want to be there, is like gangrene for overall club and list morale.

This works extremely badly for GWS, but works flipping awesomely for us.

All those Giants early picks are coming with a SERIOUS bout of entitlement syndrome. Playing in some dunghill seconds comp for years on end when you're a first-round AFL pick is going to lead to a lot of disgruntled 20ish year olds.

Whereas, as has been said several times, we've worked extremely hard to ensure that every player - and potential player - knows that the Saints treat them well, if they treat the Saints well.

That is another reason why I think Saad is essential for our rookie draft. For that one tiny pick, we honour a promise, and that speaks volumes to other potential recruits. Saad will rabbit on and on about how wonderful we are, to anybody who'll listen - and I think there will be plenty who listen. For the sake of a rookie salary, it is worth its weight in gold.

Having a reputation for truth, honest dealing and mercy is a treasure that cannot be measured in gold.

Alright kids, if we're going to reach the lofty heights of last year's insanity we'd better get cracking. Accordingly, here's a starter hypothetical prompted by the Shiel rumours;

Let's say Shiel effectively costs us our first rounder this season. Additionally I'm giving Shenton the benefit of doubt for his form this year, and upgrading him, Weller and Templeton.

From there we draft a strong pacey mid in Touk Miller (2nd rnd) and a beast KPF in the person of Reece McKenzie (3rd rnd) and rookie Ahmed Saad. In 2015 we spend our 1st rounder on Rahul's and my boy, very promising 197cm KPF Joshua Schache (Murray Bushrangers)... Then let's fast forward a couple of years from there, and potentially this is what we'd be looking at;

FB: Webster - Delaney - Roberton
HB: Wright - Bruce - Shenton
RK: Hickey - Steven - Dunstan
CR: Newnes - Shiel - Savage*
HF: Saunders - Stanley - Templeton
FF: Billings - McKenzie - Longer
Int: Weller - Curren - Acres - Miller
Em: Schache - Markworth - Ross - (Saad)

Gone: Hayes, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Fisher, Schneider, Maister, Gwilt, Jones, TDL, Minchington.

Crossroads: Ray, Armitage, Murdoch, Geary, Gilbert, Simpkin, White, Lee, Dunell, Milera, Siposs, Pierce, Holmes.

* I genuinely think he'll make it when settled and with a bit more quality around him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Few key forwards in the SANFL:

Former Blue Luke Mitchell: 22 years old, 196cm/102kg - 17 goals so far this year
Current Power John Butcher: 23 in July, 197cm/94kg - 23 goals so far this year
Former VFL (i think) player Brett Eddy: 24 years old, 194cm/93kg - 33 goals so far this year (Leading goal kicker by 3)
Former North player i think Michael Wundke: 25 years old, 191cm/100kg - 30 goals so far this year

Another two former AFL players
Former Lion Bryce Retzlaff: 23 in July, 195cm/95kg - 12 goals so far this year
Former Hawk Mitch Thorp: 26 in Dec, 195cm/92kg - 9 goals so far this year

Now.. Surely at least one of those could be an upgrade on Beau Maister? (Butcher wouldn't be gettable IMO)

And igniting saints fans hopes!

giphy.gif

Few key forwards in the SANFL:

Former Blue Luke Mitchell: 22 years old, 196cm/102kg - 17 goals so far this year
Current Power John Butcher: 23 in July, 197cm/94kg - 23 goals so far this year
Former VFL (i think) player Brett Eddy: 24 years old, 194cm/93kg - 33 goals so far this year (Leading goal kicker by 3)
Former North player i think Michael Wundke: 25 years old, 191cm/100kg - 30 goals so far this year

Another two former AFL players
Former Lion Bryce Retzlaff: 23 in July, 195cm/95kg - 12 goals so far this year
Former Hawk Mitch Thorp: 26 in Dec, 195cm/92kg - 9 goals so far this year

Now.. Surely at least one of those could be an upgrade on Beau Maister? (Butcher wouldn't be gettable IMO)
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't want to waste a spot on a journeyman forward as an upgrade on Beau just cos they're big. Draft the best available and groom them for our flag tilt in a few years.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't want to waste a spot on a journeyman forward as an upgrade on Beau just cos they're big. Draft the best available and groom them for our flag tilt in a few years.
Where did i state it's "just because they're big"? i stated it because most of those are performing at SANFL level while Maister can't even perform at VFL level. I'm also talking rookie draft we'll likely have 3-4 picks this year, we only need a gap filler until hopefully White, Lee come along with a possible KPF this year.

Face it we're screwed when Riewoldt retires, need to start doing things about it ASAP.

Okay who are you and where did you put our Barrels? o_O

Where did i state it's "just because they're big"? i stated it because most of those are performing at SANFL level while Maister can't even perform at VFL level. I'm also talking rookie draft we'll likely have 3-4 picks this year, we only need a gap filler until hopefully White, Lee come along with a possible KPF this year.
Not knocking you mate, but most of these blokes have been at AFL clubs and been let go. There's probably a reason for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've changed, man

Not knocking you mate, but most of these blokes have been at AFL clubs and been let go. There's probably a reason for it.
Again it's not like i am suggesting them to stay around forever, gap fillers like many clubs have..Until we get decent young KPF's through the door. Anyone can be an upgrade on Beau Maister.

But stuff it, let's go for Josh Walker instead. :rolleyes:

You've changed, man
Maybe imminent fatherhood has mellowed me...
Again it's not like i am suggesting them to stay around forever, gap fillers like many clubs have..Until we get decent young KPF's through the door. Anyone can be an upgrade on Beau Maister.
You'll get no argument from me on that...

Of the options, I'd take Eddy; goals are goals. And now now, don't get all pissy :p

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...million-contract/story-fni5f1tu-1226930359161

Article is about Melbourne but wanted to see what people's thoughts were.

Would you offer Danger 10 million over 8 years to get him to the Saints? Will be 24 when out of contract...
Massive, massive no from me, nobody should get an 8 year contract for that sort of money and I don't think he's worth that much anyway. There's no guarantees he plays every year of it (particularly the way he plays), rather go for a cheaper option like a Shiel or any other homesick gun for a cheaper price. Could get two guns for that price.

Massive, massive no from me, nobody should get an 8 year contract for that sort of money and I don't think he's worth that much anyway. There's no guarantees he plays every year of it (particularly the way he plays), rather go for a cheaper option like a Shiel or any other homesick gun for a cheaper price. Could get two guns for that price.
Tom Mitchell this year and Dylan Sheil next year? :D

Jack Steven, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Billings, Tom Mitchell, Dylan Shiel + Weller, Ross, Curren, Murdoch, whoever else. Sounds good

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...million-contract/story-fni5f1tu-1226930359161

Article is about Melbourne but wanted to see what people's thoughts were.

Would you offer Danger 10 million over 8 years to get him to the Saints? Will be 24 when out of contract...
Id defiantly do it to bring a top 3 player in the comp entering his peak to the club.

if you front load the contract and give him 1.5mill for the first 4 years the club would then be on the hook for 1mill per year which should be his going rate if he left crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back