List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from holidays....what's happening!? are we really taking McCartin??

I've seen both play live and Petracca>>>>>>>>>>McCartin

However McCartin will be a pretty good forward (opposed to very good) and can understand taking him from a positional view especially considering the lack of quality forwards in coming drafts but lets not forget Petracca came from nowhere (top 20 pick actually) to put himself in the conversation for the number 1 pick who says a quality forward can't emerge?

Also everyone at the saints has been saying they'll take the best player available and that is clearly petracca, im so confused

The journos are adamant that McCartin will be a gun but I haven't been too impressed when i've seen him play but saying that they know a lot more than me

IMO from what I've seen live:
#1 C.Petracca (clear best player in the draft, stands out as the best player in games and looks and wants to be a great player - I know Richo said that gun forwards don't grow on trees but neither do players as special as Petracca)
#21 C.Blakely (Clearance king, can be a star from what i've seen however i've seen him more on TV than live)
#22 R.McKenzie (Offers close to the same as McCartin in that he's a one grab full forward however is the superior athlete with a higher ceiling and more versatile, McCartin just the more polished at this stage whereas McKenzie will take more time to reach his potential. In the long run there may not be much difference between Reece and Paddy.)

Sorry if I've repeated stuff I haven't read back a lot and noticed a lot of you guys are not happy with the prospect of McCartin, but remember McCartin will still be a good player for us even if he may not be at the level of the Rougheads and Hawkins (he could be, we never know),and Petraccas hip could actually be a serious problem which is the only reason I could fathom us not picking him so it's not entirely a lose situation for us:)

Lee would be nervous....as would Spence who's on a 1 year contract.

Lee will go to defence imo. It's where he found his form spark in the WAFL before swinging forward.

Wont be the best one on one defender but is smart enough and skilled enough to play that intercept CHB role on more athletic types.

Think Cale Hooker, Ben Reid... Not saying he will be AA but he could be that style of player.

Spence provides more of a point of difference, I'd say Lee's looking the more shaky of the two IF we take Paddy.

If we take PM AND RM then all hell would break loose...

McKenzie as a 96 model and project type (not trying to open up an old argument) likely doesn't play consistent senior footy until 2017-8 anyway.

interesting... very interesting

now that would change things and would somehow explain the complete 180

Perhaps theres a deal in principal to get Treloar/Shiel next year?
Damaging mid/forward is what we're after.... There's a distinct lack of Devon Smith/Wil Hoskin-Elliott in these 2 posts guys (as much as I'd love Shiel or Treloar, I'd equally love either of Smith or WHE too)

He's still a baby and 193.6 is closer to 194 than 193.
It's not 'plus' though...

Irrational maybe, but if he was 196-198cm I'd be doing cartwheels, I just love the way he smashes packs and opponents, but I can't shake the present tiny misgiving... I really hope he's got another inch left in his DNA.

And before anyone says it "if he's good enough..." blah blah blah.

Something that I have meant to say for a while, this does not effect my personal ranking of CP, however it is something that recruiters would have noted,

I have seen Christian Petracca play against players with bodies ready for AFL football twice. Both times he has been beaten, once quite convincingly, the other time he performed well but his opponent ran rampant and dominated despite poor conditions and a slight size disadvantage. In the second outing, what was very noticeable was his opponent beating Petracca for pure football smarts, doing the small things that are harder to teach - instinctively reading the ball, using his body efficiently instead of throwing his weight around and leading team-mates, much moreso than CP. Yes it's things that Petracca can work on in an elite sports environment, but it just seemed like he was missing a certain edge. Moreover, in the first outing, in the 3rd when his team was losing and he was performing very, very poorly, CP got extremely frustrated and confronted the opposition unnecessarily and tried to get in their face despite it being a game not played for premiership points.

Just my 2 cents.
I have seen CP play alot, and just let me say that I dont see him being a reliable leader, bit of a down hill skier IMO!

What an absolute disgrace if that is the case.

I bet they'll all run back when Paddy kicks 5 on debut!
:cool:

Dreaming another ..Judd Darling Rioli Fyffe Dangerfield moment all missed by our recruiters
You always pick the best player rule number 1 followed by the next ( Port Adelaide )

Just lost their best midfielder in last 5 years anyway said enough :confused:

It's not 'plus' though...

Irrational maybe, but if he was 196-198cm I'd be doing cartwheels, I just love the way he smashes packs and opponents, but I can't shake the present tiny misgiving... I really hope he's got another inch left in his DNA.

And before anyone says it "if he's good enough..." blah blah blah.

Is that what your missus said?

My Grandmothers boyfriends nephew has told me that Saints have met Jaden McGrath 4 times and have spoken to him on the phone up to twice a week since combine, maybe pick 41 to be used on him!

What do you reckon Joffaboy

:)

Really happy. Support the club fully. I mean they must know what they are doing, right?

Hilarious train wreck of a club.

So 28th or 29th wooden spoon next season?

Cant wait to see our magnificent mids tearing it up.

Another four mill loss next season.

Spence provides more of a point of difference, I'd say Lee's looking the more shaky of the two IF we take Paddy.

If we take PM AND RM then all hell would break loose...
I wouldnt mind us getting both, even if we used 21 or 22 on Reece, then got a sliding mid with the other one and Lonie at 41. Next year two top picks get two elite mids. Long term big picture stuff you can't get much better than that. Reece, Spencer, Paddy, Lonie, Membrey up forward. Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Eli, ANB/Weller/Garlett and probably one of the Darcy's next year. Hickey and Longer in the ruck, it would just be our defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie as a 96 model and project type (not trying to open up an old argument) likely doesn't play consistent senior footy until 2017-8 anyway.
I'm ok with that... 2018 post-Roo forwardline:

HF: Billings - White - Membrey
FF: Lonie* - McCartin* - McKenzie*

My Grandmothers boyfriends nephew has told me that Saints have met Jaden McGrath 4 times and have spoken to him on the phone up to twice a week since combine, maybe pick 41 to be used on him!
Well, won't be able to find a more reliable source than that! Emma Quayle eat your heart out.

I don't think anyone has ever walked onto a footy field & thought "I'm taller than him, regardless of how good he is, I'll have him covered cos I'm taller"....

Nick '193cm' Riewoldt scoffs at all this bullshit about height.... :thumbsu:

But surely that's it for talls in this draft? Need to ramp up the mids. Pushes Bruce to defence longer term. Both Reece and PM will be fighting to get the square to themselves - two carpet snakes!!

Really hope we get a great slider or two now. Pick an inside at 41 if need be.

I don't think anyone has ever walked onto a footy field & thought "I'm taller than him, regardless of how good he is, I'll have him covered cos I'm taller"....

Nick '193cm' Riewoldt scoffs at all this bullshit about height.... :thumbsu:
*aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh*

Really happy. Support the club fully. I mean they must know what they are doing, right?

Hilarious train wreck of a club.

So 28th or 29th wooden spoon next season?

Cant wait to see our magnificent mids tearing it up.

Another four mill loss next season.
i would take being last next year rather than 3rd last and cop a spoon. the draft is easily the best way to improve

I'm ok with that... 2018 post-Roo forwardline:

HF: Billings - White - Membrey
FF: Lonie* - McCartin* - McKenzie*
dan Mckenzie is a forward now? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back