List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that I have meant to say for a while, this does not effect my personal ranking of CP, however it is something that recruiters would have noted,

I have seen Christian Petracca play against players with bodies ready for AFL football twice. Both times he has been beaten, once quite convincingly, the other time he performed well but his opponent ran rampant and dominated despite poor conditions and a slight size disadvantage. In the second outing, what was very noticeable was his opponent beating Petracca for pure football smarts, doing the small things that are harder to teach - instinctively reading the ball, using his body efficiently instead of throwing his weight around and leading team-mates, much moreso than CP. Yes it's things that Petracca can work on in an elite sports environment, but it just seemed like he was missing a certain edge. Moreover, in the first outing, in the 3rd when his team was losing and he was performing very, very poorly, CP got extremely frustrated and confronted the opposition unnecessarily and tried to get in their face despite it being a game not played for premiership points.

Just my 2 cents.

where was this 2 cents last week?

I'll be philosophical about it. But I must say my overriding emotion is disappointment.
...*sigh* It's like getting the second thing on your Christmas list. You're happy, but... come onnnn
Roast lamb
The people around you start to annoy you
Presents you respectfully give thanks for but don’t really want

Yep, it must be Christmas

I will be ****ing ropable if we pick Petracca & his hips turn out worse than Nathan Vardy's & **** up every other part of his body as well.....

You gotta wonder what being 186cm & 95kgs+ (Including being 100kgs+ as a 16-17yr old) has done to the poor kids anatomy over the last 2-3 years with all the intense footy in TAC Cup & national champs....

Just wanted to get this off my chest, and preface it by saying I know VERY little compared to most on here.....I'm confident that Paddy will be #1. From what I've been reading, next year there doesn't appear to be many standout KPP's. We'll go with an anchor for our forward line with pick #1, score a couple of juicy sliders with picks 21 & 22, then reload with an elite mid at the pointy end of the draft in 2015. Commentary in 2016 - "Great tap from Hickey, straight down Dunstans throat, TOUGH, he breaks through and slips the hand pass to Acres, beautiful kick in to the forward line, McCartin steaming out from Full Forward crashes the pack, ball spills to Billings, clean as you like, around the body, GOAL! A lot to like about this young StKilda side".

.....just sayin'. ;) (Still around 48 hours to go, maybe I should've saved my gloating until then hey?!)

We take McCartin this year then next year when we likely have the top 2 picks in a strong midfield draft take the best two young midfielders in the land. With building a lost, there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Add into that equation picking up a Shiel, Dangerfield, treloar etc via DFA. Could work out well in the end

first time i have ever heard any club ever justify a draft selection in terms of monetary value. we've all heard the numbers thrown about, in terms of the investment and the need for character but ive never heard anyone say, we should draft a fwd because they cost more to replace than a mid

i'm not saying we havent made the right decision

i just find that statement somewhat bewildering. surely money shouldnt be an obstacle to selecting the best player

and i do get nervous when people overlook the best for needs. its how freo missed dunstan and acres.

Something that I have meant to say for a while, this does not effect my personal ranking of CP, however it is something that recruiters would have noted,

I have seen Christian Petracca play against players with bodies ready for AFL football twice. Both times he has been beaten, once quite convincingly, the other time he performed well but his opponent ran rampant and dominated despite poor conditions and a slight size disadvantage. In the second outing, what was very noticeable was his opponent beating Petracca for pure football smarts, doing the small things that are harder to teach - instinctively reading the ball, using his body efficiently instead of throwing his weight around and leading team-mates, much moreso than CP. Yes it's things that Petracca can work on in an elite sports environment, but it just seemed like he was missing a certain edge. Moreover, in the first outing, in the 3rd when his team was losing and he was performing very, very poorly, CP got extremely frustrated and confronted the opposition unnecessarily and tried to get in their face despite it being a game not played for premiership points.

Just my 2 cents.

And it starts...

If we do end up with Paddy, I wonder if the club will regret trading Rhys, since he has shown that he can do the lead-up work outside the forward 50 and to the wings (as well as pinch-hitting in the ruck), whereas all of Paddy, Lee and White have big queries on their tanks and ability to hit up to the wings and so-on on a regular basis. Having him on board still would have also meant that we could afford to trade one of Hickey or Longer in say 12 months time.

Now we may have all of McCartin, White, Lee, Bruce and Membrey fighting for as few as two spots and one of Hickey or Longer playing forward most of the time (where they have shown very little).

first time i have ever heard any club ever justify a draft selection in terms of monetary value. we've all heard the numbers thrown about, in terms of the investment and the need for character but ive never heard anyone say, we should draft a fwd because they cost more to replace than a mid

i'm not saying we havent made the right decision

i just find that statement somewhat bewildering. surely money shouldnt be an obstacle to selecting the best player

and i do get nervous when people overlook the best for needs. its how freo missed dunstan and acres.

Perhaps theres a deal in principal to get Treloar/Shiel next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roast lamb
The people around you start to annoy you
Presents you respectfully give thanks for but don’t really want

Yep, it must be Christmas
And then several years later, while looking at a gift that has given you great service over the years, thinking back to that Christmas and thinking that although you didn't realise it at the time, getting that gift was the start of something wonderful. I have faith in the recruiting team. Sure, we want Petracca, but I'm sure that if the 2019 Grand Final rolls around, and big Paddy McCartin clunks a screamer, dobs six big ones and takes home a Norm Smith then we'll be happy.

Plus some ****ing smartarse will bump this part of the thread.

For all of you lads and ladies who never had the immense pleasure of watching Plugger play live at Moorabbin, I have a gut feeling that big Paddy will bring back the halcyon days to the club.
He is the first genuine power forward with superstar potential who is 194cm plus to come through the draft since a young Jonathon Brown, and we all know what he achieved.
Get excited, the rebuild continues and I already have a D'arcy Parish and Tucker double locked away for next year.
Except he's not...

If we do end up with Paddy, I wonder if the club will regret trading Rhys, since he has shown that he can do the lead-up work outside the forward 50 and to the wings (as well as pinch-hitting in the ruck), whereas all of Paddy, Lee and White have big queries on their tanks and ability to hit up to the wings and so-on on a regular basis. Having him on board still would have also meant that we could afford to trade one of Hickey or Longer in say 12 months time.

Now we may have all of McCartin, White, Lee, Bruce and Membrey fighting for as few as two spots and one of Hickey or Longer playing forward most of the time (where they have shown very little).
Rhys is crap so no.

FF - Lee - McCartin - Longer
HF - Membrey - Riewoldt - White

Playing tall??? Or will McCartin take time to come in??? Lee or White VFL constantly??? I think we will use Hickey and Longer through the forward line next year due to not having Stanley.

FF - Lee - McCartin - Longer
HF - Membrey - Riewoldt - White

Playing tall??? Or will McCartin take time to come in??? Lee or White VFL constantly??? I think we will use Hickey and Longer through the forward line next year due to not having Stanley.

Lee and likely Riewoldt will not be on an AFL list beyond 2016 IMO.

Lee would be nervous....as would Spence who's on a 1 year contract.
Spence provides more of a point of difference, I'd say Lee's looking the more shaky of the two IF we take Paddy.

If we take PM AND RM then all hell would break loose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back