Preview 2018 1st Semi Final: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 14 September 2018, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your nuts if you think Melbourne will listen to hype 2007 style, Goodwin has the mental side covered, and the crowd will be 50/50, overall I don't think external factors are really going to come into play, and Melbourne has not consistently been poor kicking for goal two matches in a row. Just because Geelong is hated does not mean they are a soft team, they were broken on the wheel of pressure on every line except defence.

Hawthorn forward line is good (Issac Smith will be taken super seriously), as is their outside run, and your defence matches up well, Frawley will be key (quite excited about Tmac v Frawley, a bit like master and apprentice dueling it out), Hawks do have defensive options for Melbourne but only if you can restrict supply and I don't see the midfield having the hardness to go with what Melbourne will bring. Viney/Oliver/Harmes/Jetta/ANB/VDB/Frost lay punishing tackles, they all remind me of Hodge/Mitchell the way they punish the man holding the ball-do you think they are going to go any softer than they did against Danger/Ablett/Selwood? Hawks set a standard for hardness, Melbourne has gone and copied it.

The weather, interesting, dry suits Melbourne so much more, Melbourne does rely on confidence, a wet ball and a few skill errors can see Melbourne go conservative and then they can be knocked off. Actually think Hawks can cope with a wet ball better than Melbourne, yes there is the Hawks skillful kicking game, and a kick goes faster than anyone can run, BUT Melbourne knows how to coast to coast and can make a ground look like a AusKick oval when the ball is dry and they can run and switch.

Also is not round 4, when Melbourne defence was a completely different and unsettled unit with Lever not yet adapted and Hunt having a 'mare (Hibberd was out of form as well). You have two AA standard defenders Jetta/Hibberd and Gawn/Omac/Frost with Lewis as QB, now I don't see the relevance of Round 4.

I am far from confidant, I hope we get a cracking game, but all things being equal, Hawks best < Dees best due to Dees strength in the midfield.

Your nuts if you think Melbourne will listen to hype 2007 style, Goodwin has the mental side covered, and the crowd will be 50/50, overall I don't think external factors are really going to come into play, and Melbourne has not consistently been poor kicking for goal two matches in a row. Just because Geelong is hated does not mean they are a soft team, they were broken on the wheel of pressure on every line except defence.

Hawthorn forward line is good (Issac Smith will be taken super seriously), as is their outside run, and your defence matches up well, Frawley will be key (quite excited about Tmac v Frawley, a bit like master and apprentice dueling it out), Hawks do have defensive options for Melbourne but only if you can restrict supply and I don't see the midfield having the hardness to go with what Melbourne will bring. Viney/Oliver/Harmes/Jetta/ANB/VDB/Frost lay punishing tackles, they all remind me of Hodge/Mitchell the way they punish the man holding the ball-do you think they are going to go any softer than they did against Danger/Ablett/Selwood? Hawks set a standard for hardness, Melbourne has gone and copied it.

The weather, interesting, dry suits Melbourne so much more, Melbourne does rely on confidence, a wet ball and a few skill errors can see Melbourne go conservative and then they can be knocked off. Actually think Hawks can cope with a wet ball better than Melbourne, yes there is the Hawks skillful kicking game, and a kick goes faster than anyone can run, BUT Melbourne knows how to coast to coast and can make a ground look like a AusKick oval when the ball is dry and they can run and switch.

Also is not round 4, when Melbourne defence was a completely different and unsettled unit with Lever not yet adapted and Hunt having a 'mare (Hibberd was out of form as well). You have two AA standard defenders Jetta/Hibberd and Gawn/Omac/Frost with Lewis as QB, now I don't see the relevance of Round 4.

I am far from confidant, I hope we get a cracking game, but all things being equal, Hawks best < Dees best due to Dees strength in the midfield.

Mate, you can pump up the midfield dual all you want, but you’re talking about Mitchell, Jaeger, Burgoyne, Shiels. Worpel is a bull. Smith elite, and Hendo having a cracking year. McEvoy also.

Bring it.

I just hope it's not wet. Should be another cracker. Richmond deserved the win but those little 1%ers, the misses early Roughy's bad bounce kinda set the vibe early. I think if it doesn't rain we win.

Don’t forget I said that on top of the spoon, Shiels and Stratton being useless, that we have no youth at all.
Yeah, but I define youth as anyone under 16 so that part you got completely right.

You’re on fire today ;)
I’m actually pumped in all seriousness and loving the fact everyone is writing us off.

We went hard on Thursday but between the rain, the footy gods and some all rounds stinkers we have a lot to take out of the game.

We will beat Melbourne and Collingwood has shown the Eagles aren’t much chop. If we get to play the Tigers again on a sunny day, without the fear we seemed to have the other night, the rain, arsey bounces and howlers from a bunch of our stars it’s game on.

Best against best ?? Hawthorn would ( and have) creamed Melbourne!!!
You on Shrooms mate??
Your frwd line is a revolving door of who the phuc is that types who are only dangerous when things go your way ( another words , downhill skiers ) Hawks frwd line may have had a mare vs Tiges but three AA’s and 14 premierships between them!! Your back line is held together by a ex Hawk Champ!! He was easily your cleanest ball handler/decision maker against cats!
As for midfield battle? Your Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jones, Harmes and Tyson vs our Mitchell, O’Meara, Burgoyne, Smith, Henderson, Worps, Shiels, Howe and Morrison!! Don’t forget, these mids had heap of the ball against tigers mids and more than matched them, so underrate the Hawks at your own will!
Hawks by 28 points.

I like to think a little different here. Where we lost last week was NOT in our backline but center and forward. Even without Stratton we conceded only 3 goals in the last term (while we scored 4 goals in the last term). Our focus should be on center/stoppages and I believe we should add anyone that can bring a bit of grunt to the mid field. That's why I think the team selectors have rested Duryea and Langford. While we admit all their mistake with the ball I think one thing both those players bring in grunt at the guts - can bring manic tackling intensity that is missing from us. I am not anyway liking or promoting these two however I would not be foolish to question the selectors and Clerko who has delivered 4 premierships since 2008.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily and Howe will be better for the run last week and step it up a notch v the Dees.

We genuinely seem to function better with Schoey in the side, so hopefully he comes in for Cegs.

Sounds like Mirra might be the one to come in for Stratton. But would rather it be Brand or Miles depending on matchups, even with the short turnaround. Howe did it last week.

Would be disappointed to see Dureya come in.

According to odds only a massive choke by you will see a loss. I guess the dees handle the expectation well

I’m actually pumped in all seriousness and loving the fact everyone is writing us off.

We went hard on Thursday but between the rain, the footy gods and some all rounds stinkers we have a lot to take out of the game.

We will beat Melbourne and Collingwood has shown the Eagles aren’t much chop. If we get to play the Tigers again on a sunny day, without the fear we seemed to have the other night, the rain, arsey bounces and howlers from a bunch of our stars it’s game on.

I’m seeing it the same way.

We get off to a flier and watch the Dees crumble. They’re the raging favorite and expectations are sky high. We all know how that can pan out when things don’t go to plan.

The Dees, as a club, have always played on emotion. But that goes both ways. I saw people in the crowd crying on Friday night. Good on em. But it’s one final. It can all go to shit very quickly. And we’ve seen it go both ways since 2008.

I am not a fan of Duryea but without Stratton the defence is very inexperienced. I can see Clarkson picking him. For all his flaws he is a premiership player.

Will be disappointed if Duryea comes in . Still unsure why Miles has been overlooked .

I suspect Mirra for Stratton .. and Schoe for either
Ceglar / Nash .

If given the choice I would rather Mirra in the team instead of Duryea. Nothing against Duryea but he's had enough chances over the last three years. Mirra coming in and playing at center half back would allow Sicily to be the spare defender.

If my memory serves, I don't think Mirra has played a game for 3 weeks. Big risk to bring him into a cut throat final without a recent hit out.

Caught up with my brother in law today at a family function . Cats supporter but actually a really decent fella and very knowledgeable about footy

He thinks we a real chance Friday night . Thought Melbourne were very good but he was filthy at the Cats. Said they were lazy , disorganised and played into Melbourne hands .
Then when they worked into the game they fluffed their lines and got selfish again .

He also said Melbourne started getting well ahead of the ball and thinks our more organised play will hurt them if they do that against us .

Always interesting to hear a neutral supporters view on the game , plus he has seen both sides in the last month .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back