Review 2018 2nd Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 1 September 2018, 2.10pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Great Win Box Hill.
I was able to stream the game which was great.

I see plenty of soldiers ready to step up.

And can someone tell me again what’s wronfpg with modern footy again?

That was a classic, for mine one of the great things about footy over other sports is how watchable it is, even at lower levels.

I was at the game so didn't hear the commentators fortunately.
Only suffered watching the umpires on a roll.

One of the most extraordinary games I've seen.
We virtually chucked it away with poor goalkicking after holding a solid lead.
The last 15 seconds were simply unbelievable when you consider the ball had been locked into the Port forward line for some time and it just looked an impossible task to get it out.
Then the break - goal - siren.

Looking forward to seeing the stats for the game.
Tim O'Brien played a blinder - clearly BOG for me.
Cousins was excellent and is doing his best to deserve a game next Thursday (unfortunately for him, there's no vacancy) and Howe (who should play next week) ) showed his class with relatively limited game time.
Pitto very solid in the ruck.

What really pisses me off is the umpires allowing the illegal tagging - at a stoppage there's no reason why multiple umpires cant see O'Rourke and Lovel scragged and bear hugged by their opponents.
Is TOB to the backline a masterstroke? If we could somehow manage to make a CHB out of him it would be great

I was sitting at the fence near the interchange gates. Whitecross was massive in his leadership, was like an on field coach. Constantly telling players where to position as well as pulling a group together at quarter time to give them instruction.
I So wish he had a premiership medal for his time at the club. Gold Coast could do worse than add him to their list, Ayers window was open in the coaches box and he was losing his shit when Whitecross was floating across half back unchecked. I heard the word F$$k and Whitecross screamed out 10 times in twenty seconds I reckon. Thought the blokes head was going to explode.
Also an observation in the last few minutes when Port kicked their last goal to hit the lead, our players bungled up the interchange and didn’t know who was going on to replace who and there was a definite sense of panic, I thought not a great look and this might cost us the game. Thankfully it didn’t.
I genuinely don’t think we win that game had Whitecross not been out there. Absolute legend.

Just watched the first half.

Random thoughts.....

Miles is very clean, doesnt stand out because he doesnt make mistakes.

Glass is brilliant and terrible all at the same time. Has the tools but has a lot of work to do on his decision making.

Ross looks a smart class player only thing that could stop him making it is physical limitations.

Moore has poppy mark 2 written all over him. Just has to lift his tackle game.

Pitto is getting pants by no.2. Cant jump can't mark. Has a go, holds his ground well, tackles, but he's a back up only.

Lewis still a way to go. Nice kick, nice mark on the lead but gets pushed off the ball to easily and is limited on the ground .

CJ reminds me of a young Micheal Jordan. All arms and legs and a short torso. Needless to say he's an exciting prospect.

Might report back in with completely different opinions at full time.

And Hams is a hard bastard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check Olli's hard running and then reading of the play to get free deep in the forward line.

Thanks for posting the last 25 seconds. I was listening on streaming and closed the browser in disgust. Then came to this thread to see the post mortem, only to find we were still in it. Had some trouble getting the stream started again...

Last edited:
Box Hill Hawks 5.4-34 8.7-55 9.9-63 13.18-96
Port Melbourne 4.0-24 4.1-25 9.3-57 13.7-85

Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: O. Hanrahan 2, C. Jones 2, B. Whitecross 2, J. Ross 2, A. Moore, D. Moore, A. Brolic, J. Cousins, M. Lewis
Best Players: T. Duryea, J. Cousins, T. O''Brien, O. Hanrahan, B. Whitecross, A. Moore
Port Melbourne
Goal Kickers: D. Mascitti 4, J. Lisle, H. Hooper, M. Rivett, J. O''Brien, A. Anastasio, B. Pearson, T. O''Sullivan, K. Haretuku, S. Lange
Best Players: M. Rivett, L. Cook, S. Lange, T. O''Sullivan, M. Wooffindin, D. Mascitti

Totally agree with Mississippi re tagging. Andrew Moore and O'Rourke were held, punched and pushed off the ball at nearly every stoppage and the umpires totally ignored the infringements. Furthermore a nano second after they gained possession they were tackled and often smashed to the ground. Umpires need to be held accountable as they are responsible for great ball players like Gaff being suspended.

The leadership of Whitecross and Duryea was certainly a major factor in our win. O'Brien played a great game as a key defender. His attack on the ball was really pleasing and he looks so much more comfortable with the ball in front of him and no need to turn. He must stay in defense. Cousins is an absolute beast and his work rate was immense especially given he was towing an opponent for most of the day. Howe's body work was terrific and his impact at the death was a key factor in our win. Hams is an inspiration with his courage and Maloney was very good at the stoppages. I thought we went too tall in the wet and slippery conditions and we needed the pace of Murphy to support Dylan Moore at the foot of the packs and out the back in the forward 50 metres.

Check Olli's hard running and then reading of the play to get free deep in the forward line.

Unbelievable gut running in those conditions after already playing a solid 4 quarters.
That kid will be a star
Would love to see Will Hams get another crack on a list. He’s a super player, just been unlucky with injuries

Last few weeks TOB has been holding his marks, looks a lot more confident.

I think that has never been his problem at VFL level. His marking has always been elite at 2nd grade.

For his future in the back line, there are some major issues.

- His kick to find a teammate and set up play.... still a work in progress. In this game he was doing dinky kicks that should be easy but often they didn't hit the target.

- His desperation levels... still looks in 2nd gear too often when he needs to impact.

He does look slightly bigger. I hope they are putting some weight on him. Something needs to change for TOB.

Loving all the Timmy talk!
Pump him up over summer, 5kgs extra & he would be a different type of player.
We can afford to loose some of that spring if he can compete better 1 on 1 & have the dove to be more aggressive.

Interestingly, in that last gasp goal I think every clean possession was a hawthorn listed player. Whitecross, Willsmore, O’Brien, Hanrahan.

Perhaps at the last gasp, but Wilsmore was fairly mediocre during the course of the game, especially his lack of desperation at the contest.
Although his kicking is fairly close to elite, that's not enough. Hes a virtual certainty to be delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back