List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best to get it done now. Delayed preseason is better than no preseason.

I don't mind it. We'd have been able to grab Sam Collins as a replacement for Goldy if it was in-play this year.

Standing vertical jump

Ely Smith - 77cm
Laitham Vandermeer - 72cm
Ben Jarvis - 72cm
Izak Rankine - 70cm
Irving Mosquito - 68cm
Bailey Scott - 68cm
Isaac Quaynor 67cm
Connor Rozee - 67cm
Buku Khamis - 67cm
Chayce Jones - 66cm
Will Hamill - 66cm
Charlie Sprague - 66cm
Xavier O'Halloran - 66cm
Rhylee West - 66cm
Riley Grundy - 66cm
Connor Idun - 66cm
Bailey Williams - 66cm

Running vertical jump (right foot)

Sam Sturt - 91cm
Chayce Jones - 85cm
Xavier Duursma - 83cm
Ely Smith - 82cm
Isaac Quaynor - 81cm
Riley Grundy - 81cm
Xavier O'Neill - 81cm
Connor Rozee - 79cm
Rhylee West - 79cm
Irving Mosquito - 78cm
Noah Answerth - 78cm

Running vertical jump (left foot)

Bailey Williams - 94cm
Chayce Jones - 91cm
Connor Rozee - 88cm
Laitham Vandermeer - 88cm
Ely Smith - 86cm
Isaac Quaynor - 86cm
Will Hamill - 86cm
Ben Jarvis - 86cm
Xavier O'Neill - 84cm
Zac Foot - 84cm
Jackson Hately - 84cm
Bailey Scott - 84cm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/rankines-power-and-pace-lights-up-combine

He’ll be taken by an Adelaide club hoping to use him as bait to lure Grundy home.
Theyd be smarter getting Broomhead

For those looking for an early feel for some names likely to drop around Collingwood's first round pick, my first round phantom draft is up on ESPN now (see signature).

Any draft questions, as always feel free to give me a tag or respond to one of my posts. Whether it's the best KPP solutions or whatever.

Long Gone before our 1st Pick

Not according to Knightmare's phantom draft, but that obviously doesn't account for the Suns compo pick:

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/24885902/afl-draft-first-round-phantom-goes-where

Still there will be a few draft bolters and probably one or two left-of-field picks that nobody had considered towards the back end of the first round coming out of the combine, given that a few clubs will have a number of picks in the 20's a few others don't have a second round pick, potentially making them likely to select a range of types (resulting in some prospects ranked a little later on in the draft perhaps being chosen earlier than predicted to fill list needs) so you never know what might happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters and McFayden (bris academy sadly) are the class that will be left at our pick. Also Hill if he isn't picked up then.

Last edited:
Do we really need two hyphens in the same team though?

Can somebody break down how the father son and academy pick selections work in terms of our picks in the draft order? From memory aren't we trading our second rounder this year to Sydney for Murray?

Assuming no trades for picks, what picks would we have to use to secure Quaynor and Kelly?

Do we really need two hyphens in the same team though?

Can somebody break down how the father son and academy pick selections work in terms of our picks in the draft order? From memory aren't we trading our second rounder this year to Sydney for Murray?

Assuming no trades for picks, what picks would we have to use to secure Quaynor and Kelly?

Normally if a team matches a bid on on a FS or academy player then they move up, their later picks are used / shuffled back as needed to meet the points cost of matching the bid (which in turn is 80% of the points value for the pick the bid was made at) and every other team with a pick after the current one (including the team that had their bid matched) and before the first pick used to match the bid moves back one spot in the draft order.

I don't think that will be an issue for our first round pick though as the only early FS bid is likely to come for Blakey inside the top ten picks in the draft and Sydney has a first round pick after that - thus having Sydney match a bid on Blakey wont have any affect on other picks between their first and second round picks.

I suspect we'll get a third round pick back as compo for Fasolo (his age is what will probably save us there) - if Conca can get the Tigers a theoretical end of second round pick for a three year deal at 26 then surely Fasolo will warrant a third round pick on three year deal at the same age for something around the $300k per year mark.

Even with another third round pick we'll still likely be looking at a points deficit (which will mean downgrading our 2019 second round pick) if bids come in for Quaynor inside the 20-25 range and Kelly in the 30-35 range, unless we can somehow find another 3rd round pick somewhere via trade.

p.s. Yes, we traded our 2018 second round pick to Sydney for Murray and their 2018 third round pick, meaning we only have two third round picks to match bids for Quaynor and Kelly) if nobody bids on Quaynor before our first pick.

Last edited:
What's the go with Wellings?
There was murmurings that we added him to our VFL list because we were quite keen to keep an eye on him- not too dissimilar to how we rated Appleby.

Is he a chance to be drafted by us or at all?

For those looking for an early feel for some names likely to drop around Collingwood's first round pick, my first round phantom draft is up on ESPN now (see signature).

Any draft questions, as always feel free to give me a tag or respond to one of my posts. Whether it's the best KPP solutions or whatever.

Question KM: if no early bid for IQ and Collier-Dawkins is gone would you choose O'Halloran for Pies? Seems to have slid in back half of year but reasonable Combine.

Long Gone before our 1st Pick

After the first 8 picks (Blakey as father son included in that) this draft is WIDE open.

Flattens out and through to around the mid 20s there is a whole group that could go in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Riley Collier-Dawkins have scope to play as a tall fwd option? Already 193cm. He is the one I'd like outside of Lukosius king brothers and Rozee

Collier-Dawkins has been tried forward for Oakleigh but I've found he's been quiet everywhere other than playing on the ball. That's where he goes to work and can take over games.

Anywhere else, he struggles to get his hands on the ball or influence games.

What's the go with Wellings?
There was murmurings that we added him to our VFL list because we were quite keen to keep an eye on him- not too dissimilar to how we rated Appleby.

Is he a chance to be drafted by us or at all?

Plausible rookie interest, though haven't heard.

Marty Hore is the one I'd take from the clubs VFL list if there as a rookie.

Question KM: if no early bid for IQ and Collier-Dawkins is gone would you choose O'Halloran for Pies? Seems to have slid in back half of year but reasonable Combine.

O'Halloran has the speed and is a high character guy. He's not inside my top 20, so he isn't one I'd take with the pick. He increasingly reminds me of Richmond's Connor Menadue, perhaps with better ball winning capabilities. A talent, but just not a consistent or powerful enough ball winner to have the confidence in picking him so early.

It all depends on who is there at the end of the day. Duursma I'm a fan of and would be my first preference with the pick - might be the best leader in the draft and is a genuine inside/outside mid who has the all-around game - skills/pace/ball winning/intercepting and I flat out loved his finals series and the leaderhsip and character he showed in those games. Sam Sturt I really like as a medium forward with a lot of Will Hayward/Daniel Menzel. Jye Caldwell if he slips I'm open to considering as an explosive mid. All those guys I'd take ahead of Collier-Dawkins, though I'd be satisfied with Collier-Dawkins conditional on being used exclusively as an onballer.

If those guys aren't there, I'd go with Noah Gown as a KPP. He's one where if Collingwood had a second round pick that was usable, I'd love to have him. He can outside of Lukosius and the King boys be that next best KPP in the draft. He reminds me of Tom McDonald and has some James Sicily/Jeremy McGovern. He's been the best key forward late season in the junior ranks and as a key defender with the way he reads it, attacks the ball aerially and uses his body in the contest. He's one I'd be tempted on draft day to trade for.
Possible Gown slides into the third round or late in the draft, though he's that one I'd really prioritise in this draft. He's this years underrated KPP and with the way he improved late season and dominated with 21 goals and 19 contested marks from his last seven games and one of the bests in each of his last 10, he's one I'd even use that first round pick on if I needed to.

All these guys are for mine decisively better than Quaynor or Kelly. It's bizarre hearing Quaynor's name come up ahead of a lot of these guys. He isn't talented/dominant/influential like any of those guys.

Last edited:
After the first 8 picks (Blakey as father son included in that) this draft is WIDE open.

Flattens out and through to around the mid 20s there is a whole group that could go in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Collier-Dawkins has been tried forward for Oakleigh but I've found he's been quiet everywhere other than playing on the ball. That's where he goes to work and can take over games.

Anywhere else, he struggles to get his hands on the ball or influence games.

Plausible rookie interest, though haven't heard.

Marty Hore is the one I'd take from the clubs VFL list if there as a rookie.

O'Halloran has the speed and is a high character guy. He's not inside my top 20, so he isn't one I'd take with the pick. He increasingly reminds me of Richmond's Connor Menadue, perhaps with better ball winning capabilities. A talent, but just now a consistent or powerful enough ball winner to have the confidence in picking him so early.

It all depends on who is there at the end of the day. Duursma I'm a fan of and would be my first preference with the pick - might be the best leader in the draft and is a genuine inside/outside mid who has the all-around game - skills/pace/ball winning/intercepting and I flat out loved his finals series and the leaderhsip and character he showed in those games. Sam Sturt I really like as a medium forward with a lot of Will Hayward/Daniel Menzel. Jye Caldwell if he slips I'm open to considering as an explosive mid. All those guys I'd take ahead of Collier-Dawkins, though I'd be satisfied with Collier-Dawkins conditional on being used exclusively as an onballer.

If those guys aren't there, I'd go with Noah Gown as a KPP. He's one where if Collingwood had a second round pick that was usable, I'd love to have him. He can outside of Lukosius and the King boys be that next best KPP in the draft. He reminds me of Tom McDonald and has some James Sicily/Jeremy McGovern. He's been the best key forward late season in the junior ranks and as a key defender with the way he reads it, attacks the ball aerially and uses his body in the contest. He's one I'd be tempted on draft day to trade for.
Possible Gown slides into the third round or late in the draft, though he's that one I'd really prioritise in this draft. He's this years underrated KPP and with the way he improved late season and dominated with 21 goals and 19 contested marks from his last seven games and one of the bests in each of his last 10, he's one I'd even use that first round pick on if I needed to.

All these guys are for mine decisively better than Quaynor or Kelly. It's bizarre hearing Quaynor's name come up ahead of a lot of these guys. He isn't talented/dominant/influential like any of those guys.
I noticed you and a couple of others for a matter of fact, had Caldwell still going top 10. Injuries this year have cruelled him, so if we keep our pick I can see him being someone that might slide a bit. Are his injuries a going to be a worry? A lot of hamstring injuries if I’m correct?

I noticed you and a couple of others for a matter of fact, had Caldwell still going top 10. Injuries this year have cruelled him, so if we keep our pick I can see him being someone that might slide a bit. Are his injuries a going to be a worry? A lot of hamstring injuries if I’m correct?

Caldwell is one who may have even been one of that super 7/8 if not for injury.

His range having missed so much time as a result is fairly open and unclear at this stage.

The way Collingwood deal with hamstrings, maybe we're not the best spot for him.

He has the contested side to his game and the acceleration, able to use both sides. So the talent is there.

We've had Joel Selwood as a junior do his knee and come back in season one to dominate, and Judd with persistent shoulder troubles as a junior. So injuries can sort themselves out in the AFL system and sometimes you can get those types cheaper than they should be.

Normally if a team matches a bid on on a FS or academy player then they move up, their later picks are used / shuffled back as needed to meet the points cost of matching the bid (which in turn is 80% of the points value for the pick the bid was made at) and every other team with a pick after the current one (including the team that had their bid matched) and before the first pick used to match the bid moves back one spot in the draft order.

I don't think that will be an issue for our first round pick though as the only early FS bid is likely to come for Blakey inside the top ten picks in the draft and Sydney has a first round pick after that - thus having Sydney match a bid on Blakey wont have any affect on other picks between their first and second round picks.

I suspect we'll get a third round pick back as compo for Fasolo (his age is what will probably save us there) - if Conca can get the Tigers a theoretical end of second round pick for a three year deal at 26 then surely Fasolo will warrant a third round pick on three year deal at the same age for something around the $300k per year mark.

Even with another third round pick we'll still likely be looking at a points deficit (which will mean downgrading our 2019 second round pick) if bids come in for Quaynor inside the 20-25 range and Kelly in the 30-35 range, unless we can somehow find another 3rd round pick somewhere via trade.

p.s. Yes, we traded our 2018 second round pick to Sydney for Murray and their 2018 third round pick, meaning we only have two third round picks to match bids for Quaynor and Kelly) if nobody bids on Quaynor before our first pick.

Did the AFL say that Richmond would have received an end of second round pick for Conca if they had not picked up Lynch?

If so that’s huge.

They lost White to Port as a 26 yr old on a 3 yr $1m deal 4 or 5 years ago and got nothing for it. I thought this may have more closely resembled the Fas position.

Caldwell is one who may have even been one of that super 7/8 if not for injury.

His range having missed so much time as a result is fairly open and unclear at this stage.

The way Collingwood deal with hamstrings, maybe we're not the best spot for him.

He has the contested side to his game and the acceleration, able to use both sides. So the talent is there.

We've had Joel Selwood as a junior do his knee and come back in season one to dominate, and Judd with persistent shoulder troubles as a junior. So injuries can sort themselves out in the AFL system and sometimes you can get those types cheaper than they should be.
Yeah and I guess it comes down to do you go for a bit of a risk at our first pick. Either picking an injured player who’s highly rated and had slid. Or picking a player that may have been rated further back. Going to be interesting to see what path we go down in trade week and the draft.

Did the AFL say that Richmond would have received an end of second round pick for Conca if they had not picked up Lynch?

If so that’s huge.

They lost White to Port as a 26 yr old on a 3 yr $1m deal 4 or 5 years ago and got nothing for it. I thought this may have more closely resembled the Fas position.

Yep it's currently showing on the indicative draft order on the AFL website as well.

One thing I do know is that the FA compo formula is based on guaranteed money - perhaps White had a heavily incentive-based contract (although I doubt that was the issue) and that was a factor?

It was a long time ago and my memory is a little foggy, but I think I recall some discussion about the AFL also looking at the compensation formula after 2013 when Hawthorn got screwed hard with just pick 18 for losing the best player in the game? It seems that clubs are getting far more generous compensation now than they were 5 years ago that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back