2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just shouldn’t be picked 90% of people in here could see this is exactly what would happen...the selectors and coached are if their heads!
He was very good in the practice match, and the extra pace would have been handy on this wicket (but it's a bit slow than usual).

1) OK, I see what you mean about the new ball. He bowled some motley garbage last night.
2) yeah, but they don't "plunder" runs off him. That's just not true.
His avge/wicket is 28*. RR 3.39/over. SR, wicket every 50 balls.
Of Aussie bowlers to take 200 Test wickets, he got his in the 11th quickest number of Tests, ever (50). None of the current Aussie bowlers got 200 wickets faster than Starc.
(http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283534.html)

*above --- that equates to 3/84 off 25 overs, EVERY time he bowls (on average). As an ex-bowler (but only A-grade TURF in Adelaide), I'd take that at Test level.
Cummins' numbers equate to 3/65 off 23 overs, EVERY TIME he bowls (probably why he's currently #1 in the world!).
Hazlewood averages 3/78 off 28 overs, EVERY time bowls.
I would not take that at all. Again take the Sri Lankan series out of this.

No way, get another 200 and set them 450 for them to get in 4 sessions, forecast for the next 2 days are excellent (+ an extra hour play in both those day to make up for the rain so there is plenty of time).

Another freak Stokes innings and they make it, just imagine.

Here is a silly question do we bother batting steve smith in the 2nd innings? Should we move Head and Wade up to get them game time, just say go play your shots. I dont want Smith getting out under 100 cos he's told to push the run rate
Individual records mean jack shit when you’re trying to secure a test series.

He was very good in the practice match, and the extra pace would have been handy in this wicket (but it's a bit slow than usual).

They played a county seconds side..he is too inconsistent. Our bowlers have been on top by being consistent. Yep lost the last test but the oppo were 9 down and we created enough chances to win. My view is that a dramatic change of bowling style wasn’t necessary

He gets 30% of his wickets from no 9,10 & 11's.
Nope (what's your source, please, or invention?). 31.8% of his wickets come from 8, 9, 10, 11. (that's about 8%/batting position)

35.5% come from 1, 2, 3 (that's about 12%/position, MUCH better than vs the tail).
He opens the bowling in nearly every test he plays, is it just me, or is it unrealistic for me to expect your opening bowler to be making a consistent impact against, you know, the top order with the new ball?!
He has more of an impact against, you know, the top 3 than he does against bottom 4.
See above. Source:
(http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerWicketAnalysisGraph.asp?PlayerID=3830)

Here is a silly question do we bother batting steve smith in the 2nd innings? Should we move Head and Wade up to get them game time, just say go play your shots. I dont want Smith getting out under 100 cos he's told to push the run rate

Getting ahead of yourself a bit there, Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler are all capable of scoring tons so they could still get over 400 themselves.

Nope (what's your source, please, or invention?). 31.8% of his wickets come from 8, 9, 10, 11. (that's about 8%/batting position)

35.5% come from 1, 2, 3 (that's about 12%/position, MUCH better than vs the tail).

He has more of an impact against, you know, the top 3 than he does against bottom 4.
See above. Source:
(http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerWicketAnalysisGraph.asp?PlayerID=3830)
Is there a stat for where he takes wickets in an innings? Not simply the number bat, but what the average number of balls bowled in the innings when he takes his wickets?

It's not silly at all if we're going the tonk. Smith is not a good slogger, Wade should definitely be promoted if we're in hit out or get out mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting ahead of myself, but assuming the 5th test is a live rubber, we may need to really consider moving one of our openers down the order like they've done with Roy. We're one Steve Smith failure (any score under 80 for him) from a near-certain loss next test. From what I can see we've got five and a half batters out of form - Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Bancroft, Wade and the half is Head. We have to pick 4 of them still. Head stays due to the incompetence of the others only. I feel Wade will get dropped, which means one of Warner, Harris, Bancroft or Khawaja will need to bat at 6. Unless Mitch Marsh comes in...no thanks. I doubt they'll bring Bancroft back in for a must win test because his technique isn't up to it. I'd be ok seeing Khawaja open, but who with I don't know.
Who am I kidding? They'll keep Warner (ugh), bring in Khawaja to open with him and bring in Mitch Marsh for Wade. :rolleyes:

I'm getting ahead of myself, but assuming the 5th test is a live rubber, we may need to really consider moving one of our openers down the order like they've done with Roy. We're one Steve Smith failure (any score under 80 for him) from a near-certain loss next test. From what I can see we've got five and a half batters out of form - Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Bancroft, Wade and the half is Head. We have to pick 4 of them still. Head stays due to the incompetence of the others only. I feel Wade will get dropped, which means one of Warner, Harris, Bancroft or Khawaja will need to bat at 6. Unless Mitch Marsh comes in...no thanks. I doubt they'll bring Bancroft back in for a must win test because his technique isn't up to it. I'd be ok seeing Khawaja open, but who with I don't know.
Who am I kidding? They'll keep Warner (ugh), bring in Khawaja to open with him and bring in Mitch Marsh for Wade. :rolleyes:
Win this Test, then bring back Dean Jones, the Dead Test Dominator.

They played a county seconds side..he is too inconsistent. Our bowlers have been on top by being consistent. Yep lost the last test but the oppo were 9 down and we created enough chances to win. My view is that a dramatic change of bowling style wasn’t necessary
Whether it's a County 2nd side or not, his yorkers and in-swing were coming out beautifully, not so much yesterday (pressure of an Ashes series in the line got to him I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back