Status
Not open for further replies.
Ain't even about that.

Riewoldt - Leader
Hayes - Leader
Hamill - Leader
Burke - Leader
Frawley - Leader
Steven and Bruce - just happy to be there. Nothing burning inside of them, nothing driving them. Good to have around when you need to get your spirits up, probably been very helpful in that regard for the young players joining the club and experiencing all those losses. Nice to have those dog walking sessions and crossword sessions and all the other stuff. This is the Tony Elshaugh legacy.

But I remember when our club had real leaders and real determination, and our current seniors don't even come close, maybe Geary and Ross the closest, hence them being ordained captain. The coaches can only do so much. For me one of the most likely possible reasons for our last 3 years was not getting enough players with that drive onto the player list, or maybe not allowing the players with that potential to discover it within themselves, who knows.

All my opinion of course. What would I know from the other side of the planet. But bottom line for me is that if players like Steven and Bruce are the leaders and the best at our club, we'll have a real hard road back up the ladder. Our attention should be turning to which of our young players can give us real leadership back at St Kilda.

You had me until ‘Ross is real leader with real determination’.

There’s our leadership issue right there. The fact that Seb is considered a likely next Captain is mind blowing IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grundy got a truckload of hitouts & did sweet FA with a lot of them. Hit them to his feet & allowed Hopper & Taranto into the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So 70 to 13 from the best ruck in the afl lead to losing clearances by 20 but you think a 32 year old who was dropped at least twice this year will be better than that Surely most can agree hit outs are completely overrated. A contest is rated. Work around the ground is rated.

Is Cunico from Geelong ankle pretty much mash potato because i didn't mind him last year and was surprised he was delisted. Jamaine Jones is a top bloke and i remember a game last year i think against the swans where he was a tackling machine hope he gets another go somewhere.

Okay I finally read through everything.. so I assume we’re getting:

Alex Keith
Zak Jones
Brad Hill
Tom Papley
Charlie Constable
Paddy Ryder
Sam Gray
Isaac Smith

Anyone I miss??

Lol at people saying Grundy did nothing to help his team win.

When Pendles/Adams/Treloar/Sidebottom all have 20 disposals or less then you are in trouble. There is only so much a Ruckman can do ala Marshall and the team to lose when the midfield doesn't lift to required standards.
Who said he did nothing to help the side win. He was their best player imo. Just saying how overrated hit outs are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Cunico from Geelong ankle pretty much mash potato because i didn't mind him last year and was surprised he was delisted. Jamaine Jones is a top bloke and i remember a game last year i think against the swans where he was a tackling machine hope he gets another go somewhere.

That would make sense, he was definitely a player who was rated highly early on.

Not disputing it , but why would Jake entice Ryder then to go the Pies .

Grundy wants a 7 year multi deal in the millions , their cap is at breaking point & Sier wants coin to stay on.

They also gave their pick to Brisbane ..so how do they trade .
They'd have to trade a player.

Not sure Carlisle would be a huge need though with Moore doing so well?

Marshall is actually one of our best midfielders.
On per game averages.
2nd for clearances.
equal second for center clearances.
2nd for stoppages.
2nd for contested possessions.
5th for inside 50's.

This is more of a damning indictment of our midfield than a pat on the back for roma.

Bruce is a sometimes player. He had his chance. Just like Richo. He doesn't have it in him to be the main man. He'll do well at the Dogs. We trade him for overs or not at all. Pick 12 will do, even if we have to give steak knives.

Understand this; no matter how high regard players like Bruce, Stuv and Ross are at our club, they are not stars of the comp. We keep treading water holding these guys up as our golden standard, we are going nowhere.

The new era has begun. Maybe next year we'll miss a big burly KPF but we are not going to win the GF next year with Bruce. I'd rather build, and to do that we need to get rid of the sometimes players, the stars on their day type players and sell them to teams that can slot them as bit parts in an excellent system in exchange for something we can use.

So you naysayers do what you want. I believe that this club knows what it's doing.
That philosophy is fine if you have faith in the club's ability to negotiate a good trade and we end up in front in the deal and are able to reload and go again.

Since our last successful era Ball, BJ, Dal, McEvoy, Stanley, Cripps, Lynch all left. Even Hickey. I fail to see the truck load of talent that came in the door to replace them. Seriously, I'm happy for you to outline the big wins we orchestrated in those or other deals.

Failing that I can understand the pessimism of many now that we are faced with losing Bruce and more importantly Stuv. And that's without considering our poor use of premium draft picks on guys like Paddy, Freeman and Lovett.

I'd rather Bruce stay than go but I understand the need to offer up someone decent in order to get back in the draft or to be able to trade for what we need.

I get your point about treading water but trading guys like Bruce for players of the calibre of Jones and Keath are not going to do it either.

Hopefully the new regime under Ratts will see a different approach but until we see it in action the pessimism for many will remain. I for one will be interested to see the net result of our trades and drafting this year, especially who walks in the front door to replace Bruce.

And don't get me started on the Stuv trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back