List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, we were a Marshall hamstring/ankle/shoulder/appendix away from a fair bit of embarrassment this year - and people are going nuts about us bringing in Ryder.
We lack rucks => get rucks
We have too many tall forwards (hence Battle playing back) => trade out a forward

No pleasing some people. Yeah, I love Bruce - but King is the future and Marshall/Ryder need to rotate forward, and if Robbo's coming back Battle needs to go forward. I'm over the tears already and it hasn't even happened yet.

Would be nice to get a(nother) good mid in, but it's not like the club hasn't been trying.

So long anyone who's going, and welcome anyone who's coming. So long as no-one touches the GOAT, I don't care. Footy moves on, and only crap teams don't.
Nailed it.

You had me until ‘Ross is real leader with real determination’.

There’s our leadership issue right there. The fact that Seb is considered a likely next Captain is mind blowing IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree and there is no way that I said that. Wait while I check what I did say...

...ok, back. This was what I said:

I remember when our club had real leaders and real determination, and our current seniors don't even come close, maybe Geary and Ross the closest, hence them being ordained captain.

So in other words, Ross doesn't have nearly enough grit and determination to be a St Kilda captain, but out of the entire current Saints playing list, he and Geary are probably close to the top. And THAT'S the problem.

Seb does have a steely resolve about him, nothing like our best captains, but I think that he's such a nice young lad and clean cut probably makes a lot of us underestimate him. But he's more an Andrew Thompson and Jack Steven is more an Aussie Jones. We really need and Burke and Harvey in there.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean much.. if we want him bad enough we'll find a way

True - but assuming the asking price is a high first round draft pick then we are having to offload top talent to get it done.

He is contracted so the Crows can dig their heels in a la Geelong with Kelly last year or Carlton with Gibbs the first time around.

Would have to be overs for Crows to consider it and we won’t have pick 5 after the Hill trade. Next year’s first rounder won’t be worth all that much if around 17 prospects are already tied to clubs.

Just don’t see how we get it done without getting rid of a player we don’t want to lose.

Would they take Dunstan and 2020 first rounder?

True - but assuming the asking price is a high first round draft pick then we are having to offload top talent to get it done.

He is contracted so the Crows can dig their heels in a la Geelong with Kelly last year or Carlton with Gibbs the first time around.

Would have to be overs for Crows to consider it and we won’t have pick 5 after the Hill trade. Next year’s first rounder won’t be worth all that much if around 17 prospects are already tied to clubs.

Just don’t see how we get it done without getting rid of a player we don’t want to lose.

Would they take Dunstan and 2020 first rounder?
Dunno but I'd do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is more of a damning indictment of our midfield than a pat on the back for roma.

He's 29th in the AFL for contested possessions. Fair dinkum if he came second in the brownlow you'd find some reason to downplay it.

Doesn't mean much.. if we want him bad enough we'll find a way

6, 56, 68, 78

Brad Hill for 6
Ryder pick 68
Biggie pick 78
Jones for what we get for Newnes compo
Bruce for a late 1st round pick
Steven swap for Papley or Constable

so we get Hill , Jones , Papley , Ryder and take pick 13 to the draft with pick 56

out
Steven
Bruce
Armitage
Newnes
Longer
Pierce
Brown
Rowe
McCartin

in
Hill
Jones
Ryder
Papley
Biggie

draft pick
draft pick
rookie pick
rookie pick

That philosophy is fine if you have faith in the club's ability to negotiate a good trade and we end up in front in the deal and are able to reload and go again.

Since our last successful era Ball, BJ, Dal, McEvoy, Stanley, Cripps, Lynch all left. Even Hickey. I fail to see the truck load of talent that came in the door to replace them. Seriously, I'm happy for you to outline the big wins we orchestrated in those or other deals.

Failing that I can understand the pessimism of many now that we are faced with losing Bruce and more importantly Stuv. And that's without considering our poor use of premium draft picks on guys like Paddy, Freeman and Lovett.

I'd rather Bruce stay than go but I understand the need to offer up someone decent in order to get back in the draft or to be able to trade for what we need.

I get your point about treading water but trading guys like Bruce for players of the calibre of Jones and Keath are not going to do it either.

Hopefully the new regime under Ratts will see a different approach but until we see it in action the pessimism for many will remain. I for one will be interested to see the net result of our trades and drafting this year, especially who walks in the front door to replace Bruce.

And don't get me started on the Stuv trade.

And how are the failures of previous regimes instructive of this one? Am I to assume that you're applying this to all areas of the club, damning the Bassat/Lethlean/Finnis admin with the incompetencies of the Butterss/Fraser and Westaway/Nettlefold admins, simply because they once held the same positions? Or the Ratten/Gallagher/Liberatore/Allen/Lethlean war room with the Richardson/Elshaugh/Bains/Cox one? Because if so, that's where we differ. I can see that this current admin is made of savvy professionals, whereas previous ones were simply ex-players and charlatans. I can feel the ice-cold finger of St Kilda pessimism tapping my shoulder and insisting that the guys we have now will just turn out as clown-like as they have in the past, that we are doomed to be forever led by incompetent nincompoops, but I'm choosing to ignore that for now!

Hickey is the only player that left under the watch of our current administration, and that got us Dan Hannebury. I'll take that all day every day.

I can't get too excited about Jones or Keath either, Keath is just another slightly misspelled surname that everyone is going to annoy us by getting wrong to go along with Roberton and Steven. I would rather that pick 12. But the team needs a shake up, and getting rid of Richo and his onfield leaders should be enough to reboot the rest of the player group. It is certainly worth trying. Jones and Hill speed up the midfield, Keath and Ryder give us more key position options.

Hypothetical: if I said Western Bulldogs have offered us anyone we like from any club, make a list of players that would excite you, then one by one cross off the unrealistic ones, the ones who definitely won't leave their current club and the ones who want - or whose clubs want - more than we can give them, who's left?

I totally agree and there is no way that I said that. Wait while I check what I did say...

I remember when our club had real leaders and real determination, and our current seniors don't even come close, maybe Geary and Ross the closest, hence them being ordained captain.

So in other words, Ross doesn't have nearly enough grit and determination to be a St Kilda captain, but out of the entire current Saints playing list, he and Geary are probably close to the top. And THAT'S the problem.

Seb does have a steely resolve about him, nothing like our best captains, but I think that he's such a nice young lad and clean cut probably makes a lot of us underestimate him. But he's more an Andrew Thompson and Jack Steven is more an Aussie Jones. We really need and Burke and Harvey in there.

I don't think he has a steely resolve at all... he's petulant and a sook at times. Thommo was like a Roo compared to Seb.

Harvey was no leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back