List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to feel sorry for Acres if the reporting is accurate. It sounds like he didn’t want to leave however was backed into a corner to leave given limited opportunities next year & no contract extension beyond next year.

I really hope the boys know what they are doing here because I think Acres will make us look silly & become one of the best wingers in the competition. A further example of the poor leadership & development under the previous regime.

Good luck to Blake, definitely one of my favourite players of the past six or so years. Hopefully he doesn’t cop the same unwarranted criticism he receives by a few here.
If we are only going to get a late pick and it's not part of the Hill deal, it makes more sense for me to keep him as depth.

Must be right for list spots.

I agree. Sounds like he may have requested this though, because the deal was happening without his involvement. Unless we are in desperate need of a list spot.
Once Hill was confirmed I reckon Blake could see the writing on the wall so I have a sneaky suspicion he asked for a trade out - Freo was logical destination. From Perth and they need wingers.

Wings - Hill & Billings

HB's - Jones, Webster, Coff and any number of others

2nd ruck - Ryder

The kicker was that he's been watching Bytel at training.

So the price is irrelevant for some one who would be a depth player next year.

Brad Hill is bloody good at what he does and that is "run all day". He has a decent kick but like I've said before "Big Boy" trades should only be done for match winning players. Those that take the game on in the tight moments, those that strive under pressure and do something special when everyone else is spent. There is no doubt that Hill would make our side better but at the cost that is being suggested now i don't see the point. I don't think we lose face if we walk away from the deal, i would actually respect our club more if we decided the price is to high.
It may be a shallow draft but pick 10 is generally that sweet spot where the stars come from, Brodie Kemp could still be there and I would love us to take a chance on him, if we look at getting a ruckman Luke Jackson moves around the ground like Marshall or if we really want a midfield/wing Dylan Stephens impressed in the SANFL this year.
But really what it comes down to is i just want the club to have a bloody 2nd round pick for once.
And i think i found out why we have been so successful at getting players to nominate us.

Pretty much correct. Hill will will be a good addition for 3+ years, but is he worth Acres who could be around 5+ year and whilst many would disagree I rate him and he will get better plus a first round pick?

Howard could be ok and is at least at the right age for our team development. Ryder we need, or someone like him. The others are just marginal upgrades on newnes, Lonie et Al.

If the draft is good I would have taken the 2 first round picks to the draft for midfielders, Ryder we would of got anyway and maybe get Howard, might be difficult, through the rest of picks, Bruce etc

Like a lot of others, I’m sad to see Blake go. He could frustrate and enthrall in equal parts, sometimes within seconds of each other. Watching him was never boring.

But for years now, this is a club that’s been in need of some ruthlessness. For someone to come in and make decisions without sentimentality or compromise in the pursuit of excellence.

Well, this is what ruthlessness looks like. I loved watching Blake play and he’s one player I genuinely wish all the best. But if him going is in the best interests of the club, so be it.

Once Hill was confirmed I reckon Blake could see the writing on the wall so I have a sneaky suspicion he asked for a trade out - Freo was logical destination. From Perth and they need wingers.

Wings - Hill & Billings

HB's - Jones, Webster, Coff and any number of others

2nd ruck - Ryder

The kicker was that he's been watching Bytel at training.

So the price is irrelevant for some one who would be a depth player next year.

Acres can go inside and play forward, also his marking is an asset. I still think there is at least 3 to 4 midfielders that go before Acres.

It's hard to know where Tom Morris is getting his intel about this trade from, the way he's burning the club with his reporting, you can't imagine he has many mates at the club right now.

Acres isn’t worth 34 - I love the bloke but he’s a 3rd rounder at best IMO and in reality might even be steak knives
Really? Only worth a 3rd rounder?I thought 2nd. Maybe because he was 1st round pick.

It's hard to know where Tom Morris is getting his intel about this trade from, the way he's burning the club with his reporting, you can't imagine he has many mates at the club right now.
Don't think that's right at all, he was very much the opposite when discussing the initial offer we sent Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody disappointing. Hope the boys get something back, Hill for all that is nonsense.
It does say in the article thar Acres was not part of the deal we agreed on. So either they will deal with him separately, or re arrange the trade which will likely mean 58 stays with us I'd say.
Really? Only worth a 3rd rounder?I thought 2nd. Maybe because he was 1st round pick.
He's been told he won't get a lot of opportunities which says he isn't best 22. If it wasnt for the injuries this year he's probably playing a lot of VFL.

You're right, Dodo is the bigger effwit for sure and Bellend is just trying to do his best for the club, there's no doubt.

I think imo that saints agreed to pay overs to begin with, and all was likely worked out before hand.
Bell then pushed up his price and Lethlean knock it back to the original overs that were agreed and budgeted. No harm done.

Its a win win.
Saints get the player, Freo get good picks for your rebuild and someone who can fill several positions including ruck.

Actually I want to thank Peter Bell and Freo for strengthening our list.

The reported offer for Hill before we traded Pick 6 was for about a Pick 3/4 equivalent. The accepted offer is very similar.

If the original offer was accepted we wouldn't have been able to do the Pick swap with GWS which would have meant we would have seriously struggled to get Howard and Jones without giving up more players especially given the Doggies and Cats stance and the fact that no one wanted Newnes.

Like a lot of others, I’m sad to see Blake go. He could frustrate and enthrall in equal parts, sometimes within seconds of each other. Watching him was never boring.

But for years now, this is a club that’s been in need of some ruthlessness. For someone to come in and make decisions without sentimentality or compromise in the pursuit of excellence.

Well, this is what ruthlessness looks like. I loved watching Blake play and he’s one player I genuinely wish all the best. But if him going is in the best interests of the club, so be it.
True. From a detached pov, the list needed drastic turning over and we needed to get out sometimes players like Acres Bruce Lonie Ross... Pretty much most of the list actually!

Having said that, it burns that we let them walk for little to no return and face the prospect of them finding winning consistency elsewhere.

Like basically dumping on the street all the hardly used and expensive baby equipment your kids don't use anymore because you can't be arsed selling it in the Trading Post.

If we are only going to get a late pick and it's not part of the Hill deal, it makes more sense for me to keep him as depth.

Must be right for list spots.

Blake offers something different to the 22. He’s something we don’t have. He’s a big, quick, mobile, marking utility. I would’ve preferred to move on one of our thousand half backs, a slow inside midfielder or a small forward. I guess no one else had a lot of interest.

Blake offers something different to the 22. He’s something we don’t have. He’s a big, quick, mobile, marking utility. I would’ve preferred to move on one of our thousand half backs, a slow inside midfielder or a small forward. I guess no one else had a lot of interest.
I think that would be the case. We had MacKnezie on the table but no bites. Clubs could have had Newnes for free but had no interest.

I agree I'd prefer we kept him over a few and he does offer something different, but I also can't see how he fits in the 22 with a fully fit side.

Everyone, including the media, are saying 58 is included in the deal. According to the AFL draft order 58 doesn’t sit with us or anyone we are trading with?

Attachments

• 05B7C518-9FA6-49B0-9D30-EA6131A2E6C9.png
    05B7C518-9FA6-49B0-9D30-EA6131A2E6C9.png
    274 KB · Views: 210
Everyone, including the media, are saying 58 is included in the deal. According to the AFL draft order 58 doesn’t sit with us or anyone we are trading with?
Geelong will get it from Gold Coast for Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back