List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All positives, nothing to improve on. Not really useful in discriminating between them. The same 4 or 5 you can sense he really rates but after that - caveat emptor.

Angus in the AFL article today

Sheehan had a lot to do with him this year with the allies ..its true. he is very much like Jack Steele . leadership gold standard

height now is 190 cm and 89kg

FROM the afl site today

AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan has released his Top AFL Draft Prospects in the category of Medium/Tall Midfielders ahead of the 2021 NAB AFL Draft to be held on Wednesday, November 24 and Thursday, November 25.

Nominations for this year's draft closed on Wednesday. The pre-season and rookie drafts will take place on Friday, November 26.

CAL TWOMEY'S NOVEMBER FORM GUIDE 35 top draft prospects ranks

Stay up to date with all the latest news at the AFL Draft Hub, and check out all the key draft dates here.

Angus Anderson

Sydney Swans Academy / Sawtell FC / St. John Paul College
State: New South Wales / ACT
Height: 189cm
Weight: 90kg
Date of Birth: 25/05/03

Medium inside midfielder who captained the Swans Academy this year and excelled at stoppages with his ball-winning ability, aggression and second efforts. Played two games in the NAB League averaging 24 disposals (10 contested) at 75 per cent efficiency with five clearances and 3.5 tackles. Has some of the traits of another product of NSW/ACT in St Kilda star Jack Steele with his contested ball-winning, leadership and composure. Had a taste of senior state league football playing once for the Swans against Footscray in the VFL. Demonstrated his elite endurance with a 6 minutes 14 seconds time for 2km in the Draft Combine (Strava) test in October

Because so many interstate players are dying to come?

I previously wanted him because he was the best ruck available in the draft, AND having cousins in the club already would make him more likely to stay long term. It's true that Ladhams makes him a whole lot less of a priority. But I reckon he's going to be a real good ruck for a long time. Just a bit of a shame we have such a good prospect who wants to come, but we can't use him.

He wants to come now but doesn't mean he'll want to stay. There's no evidence that being at the same club as your brother will prevent the player from moving, let alone if it's your cousins. This may be the problem with drafting based on bloodlines, if I had to guess. Sure they want to be a part of the club with a relative pre-draft. Who wouldn't want to be drafted to the same club as a relative, rather than to a club where you know literally no one?

But it becomes a very thin reason for essentially wanting to relocate your life and career. It's not as if they are your parents or partners, so being able to have coffee dates and training sessions with a brother or cousin isn't anywhere near reason enough for the player to want to stay if other circumstances make him want to go.

Circumstances like home sickness (having a single cousin in Conway's case or a brother in Warner's case would not remedy this), interstate partners (this caused Brad Hill to request a trade away from his brother), or cost of living (this one's self explanatory...)

He wants to come now but doesn't mean he'll want to stay. There's no evidence that being at the same club as your brother will prevent the player from moving, let alone if it's your cousins. This may be the problem with drafting based on bloodlines, if I had to guess. Sure they want to be a part of the club with a relative pre-draft. Who wouldn't want to be drafted to the same club as a relative, rather than to a club where you know literally no one?

But it becomes a very thin reason for essentially wanting to relocate your life and career. It's not as if they are your parents or partners, so being able to have coffee dates and training sessions with a brother or cousin isn't anywhere near reason enough for the player to want to stay if other circumstances make him want to go.

Circumstances like home sickness (having a single cousin in Conway's case or a brother in Warner's case would not remedy this), interstate partners (this caused Brad Hill to request a trade away from his brother), or cost of living (this one's self explanatory...)

Yep, things can change ultra quickly it's why I'm not a fan of so called romance selections. Corey Warner this year is another one, well at least not before our third selection. You are running a slippery slope if you are just picking a bloke because they want to be here in their draft year.

Yep, things can change ultra quickly it's why I'm not a fan of so called romance selections. Corey Warner this year is another one, well at least not before our third selection. You are running a slippery slope if you are just picking a bloke because they want to be here in their draft year.
I'd be surprised if we picked Warner for a reason other than we rate him at the pick we use, even if it's ~31 (he's being talked about at this range by some). Where the family connection may come into it, is that we might have learned more about him than other clubs, which might influence us to go earlier (if what we learned is good). If most things are equal it might lift him up above a few around the mark, but doubt we'd do a massive 'reach'.

But agree on Conway. Was keen before we picked up Ladhams, but now we can afford to wait to see how McAndrew, then King, as well as Amartey turn out. Or at least, it's probably worth addressing other areas this draft instead.

I was looking forward to making some Mighty Ducks references if we ended up with our own 'Bash Brothers' (McCartins, led by Paddy), then drafted in a Conway and especially if we'd also picked up Banks. And with the Red 'V' jumpers now... Oh well.

I'd be surprised if we picked Warner for a reason other than we rate him at the pick we use, even if it's ~31 (he's being talked about at this range by some). Where the family connection may come into it, is that we might have learned more about him than other clubs, which might influence us to go earlier (if what we learned is good). If most things are equal it might lift him up above a few around the mark, but doubt we'd do a massive 'reach'.

But agree on Conway. Was keen before we picked up Ladhams, but now we can afford to wait to see how McAndrew, then King, as well as Amartey turn out. Or at least, it's probably worth addressing other areas this draft instead.

I was looking forward to making some Mighty Ducks references if we end up with our own 'Bash Brothers' (McCartins, led by Paddy), then drafted in a Conway and especially if we'd also picked up Banks. And with the Red 'V' jumpers now... Oh well.

We'll go best available, the more I think of it I won't be shocked if we don't pick a defender and wait for next year where there is a stack of KPP. Just my feeling. Could be wrong too and we take one (won't be disappointed) but I'd get the not taking one too. Smalls are easier to make calls on.

We'll go best available, the more I think of it I won't be shocked if we don't pick a defender and wait for next year where there is a stack of KPP. Just my feeling. Could be wrong too and we take one (won't be disappointed) but I'd get the not taking one too. Smalls are easier to make calls on.
I won't be surprised if we end up not picking a KPD this draft (excluding McCartin, who for me is still a short/medium term punt). And I won't be entirely surprised if we went best available at every pick, even if they're types we don't really need. But I'll still be disappointed that we don't have more common sense and address gaps in depth, if we're serious about contending at some point.

I won't be surprised if we end up not picking a KPD this draft (excluding McCartin, who for me is still a short/medium term punt). And I won't be entirely surprised if we went best available at every pick, even if they're types we don't really need. But I'll still be disappointed that we don't have more common sense and address gaps in depth, if we're serious about contending at some point.

Think we take upwards of 3 KPP next year, think that is the draft to target a tall. Can we grab one this year yes we can but we are going off a relative small sample of games and there's a higher risk.

Think we take upwards of 3 KPP next year, think that is the draft to target a tall. Can we grab one this year yes we can but we are going off a relative small sample of games and there's a higher risk.
Same risk with sample size of games for the smalls, especially some you rate. Especially when the hyped KPDs all played a decent amount this year, albeit with limited opposition. I don't think we're going to just pick one for the sake of it, but I don't think we can be more confident about next years potential at this stage (i.e. every year we hear the same predictions made about the next), where if we want the extra development time, we go now.

Same risk with sample size of games for the smalls, especially some you rate. Especially when the hyped KPDs all played a decent amount this year, albeit with limited opposition. I don't think we're going to just pick one for the sake of it, but I don't think we can be more confident about next years potential at this stage (i.e. every year we hear the same predictions made about the next), where if we want the extra development time, we go now.

Gut feeling and the noises lately have been that the taels are ultra hard to make a call on. If we get 3 smalls, maybe a running defender with one of the 3, and inside mid for the long term...that would be fine with me.

Gut feeling and the noises lately have been that the taels are ultra hard to make a call on. If we get 3 smalls, maybe a running defender with one of the 3, and inside mid for the long term...that would be fine with me.
I think people have read too much into Kinnear's comments, what he was saying was probably just common sense, not a dismissal around picking a KPD.

I'd put running small defender and inside mid at about spots 5 and 6 on our role/positional needs. But happy to cover those areas with someone like Wilmot or Chesser who I think would progress to a Wing if needed (Wilmot also small lockdown defender), or a Warner type who can do both inside/out, or just grab an inside mid with our 3rd pick if there's one we like there. Even Draper if he slides (more likely than Sinn I think), has played at half back, but can be an outside mid/wing (a need) or half forward (not really a need).

Last edited:

I suggest that individuals will have a different perspective and experience of home sickness depending on the quality of their familial relationships and their level of dependency on those relationships. For some players, a cousin or brother or aunt/uncle in Sydney could make all the difference in how they settle. Not sure that generalisations in this instance are applicable. I would be looking at the assessment by our clinical psychologist for guidance in each specific case and to these we are not privileged.

I suggest that individuals will have a different perspective and experience of home sickness depending on the quality of their familial relationships and their level of dependency on those relationships. For some players, a cousin or brother or aunt/uncle in Sydney could make all the difference in how they settle. Not sure that generalisations in this instance are applicable. I would be looking at the assessment by our clinical psychologist for guidance in each specific case and to these we are not privileged.

Without meaning to diminish the importance of the clinical psychologist's assessments in the recruiting process, in terms of predicting the likelihood of future go-home factor, I would consider them almost useless. It's impossible to know how an individual will be as a 24 year old based off how they are as an 18 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without meaning to diminish the importance of the clinical psychologist's assessments in the recruiting process, in terms of predicting the likelihood of future go-home factor, I would consider them almost useless. It's impossible to know how an individual will be as a 24 year old based off how they are as an 18 year old.
What idiot let my 18 year old self choose a job for me?

Not sure I agree with that. Sure people mature from 18 to 24 but ultimately a person is largely who they are going to be by the time they are 18.

Maturing is changing.
The experiences these kids have are pretty different to most others. Lots more money and leisure time, a narrower cohort, away from home in most cases, often for the first time. A lot will change in their lives in the first 12 months or less.
I think a psychologist can make a judgement on resilience vs vulnerability and hence what kind of support they might need. They can also pick out any narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths.
Don't need them.

The experiences these kids have are pretty different to most others. Lots more money and leisure time, a narrower cohort, away from home in most cases, often for the first time. A lot will change in their lives in the first 12 months or less.
I think a psychologist can make a judgement on resilience vs vulnerability and hence what kind of support they might need. They can also pick out any narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths.
Don't need them.

I'm not disputing the value that psychological assessments have at all. It's a key part in determining the characters we have on the list (though I'm sure we have a few arseholes, as everyone would.) But if the assessments were so accurate, then we wouldn't have been in the predicament we've been in losing players to homesickness or money or because of their partners constantly. There's a lot of factors that go into a player's decision to either stay or depart the club they're at, and many of those factors won't even be apparent at the time of drafting.

Write up from the Hun about Jack Maibaum.

According to some AFL recruiters, Jack Maibaum is the best mature-age defender available in the draft.
It’s not hard to see why, still just 23, with four years in the AFL system under his belt and a stellar VFL campaign with Coburg, he comes ready to play from day one.
Despite not playing a game in more than two years, Maibaum – 194cm and 96kg – was a rock in defence for the Lions, earning Team of the Year honours (at CHB).

Maibaum is hopeful but realistic.
“I haven’t personally spoken to many (clubs) but there’s been communication from (Coburg GM) Seb (Spagnuolo) to teams and through a couple of other avenues,” he said.

Had a rough trot of it at Sydney, knee reco, Covid disruptions, death of his mum. Deserving of a change of luck.

Write up from the Hun about Jack Maibaum.

Had a rough trot of it at Sydney, knee reco, Covid disruptions, death of his mum. Deserving of a change of luck.

I think so too. From what I have seen of him he definitely has the tools to make it as an AFL player. He was just super unlucky with injuries and then when a spot did open up for him his mother died and he understandably went home to his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back