Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
Seems like Erasmus has been sliding a bit in peoples drafts. Good result for WC though and would be stoked if he he fell to us.
I had thought he was a bit high, and think he would be great value at your pick. For us, I want any 2 of Erasmus, Johnson or Amiss. But I wouldn't complain if we grabbed any 2 of Callaghan, Andrew, Rachele, Wanganeen-Millera, Goater or Ward either.

Hope we don't trade up. We are beautifully positioned already.

Last edited:
Had fun doing the tipping game so I thought I'd repost it with some explanations.

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
2. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy
3. Collingwood - Nick Daicos
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan

5. Gold Coast - Mac Andrew
6. Adelaide - Josh Rachele
7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Matthew Johnson
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Josh Goater
11. St Kilda - Josh Gibcus
12. West Coast - Neil Erasmus
13. Essendon - Josh Sinn
14. Port Adelaide - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. GWS - Jye Amiss
16. Brisbane - Tyler Sonsie
17. Richmond - Jacob Van Rooyen
18. Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
19. Melbourne - Blake Howes

20. Brisbane - Campbell Chesser

• GWS are no mugs, they know Callaghan is a chance to be the next Bont and won't pass on him. Amiss isn't a true KPF, but he'll slot in well for GWS as their Finlayson replacement.
  • I see GC preferring Andrew's raw potential to Gibcus, especially as Witts may only have a few years left.
  • Fyfe has had serious problems with his shoulder surgery and might not be the same once he returns, and Mundy is surely near the end, so I see Fremantle wanting to replace both of them with equally tall and powerful midfielders. I can see them waiting another year to replace Lobb and letting Amiss slide.
  • St Kilda lack good tall defenders outside Howard (but correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Tough call for Essendon between Sinn and Nasiah, but I think they'll go with the local boy and safer option. Port will take whichever one Essendon don't.
  • Brisbane will go best player available like usual.
  • Sydney lack tall midfielders.
  • I wasn't sure who to put for Melbourne, but since there's no pressure to get someone who can play right away, they may as well get the biggest athletic freak available and develop them slowly.

Last edited:

Had fun doing the tipping game so I thought I'd repost it with some explanations.

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan

7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
13. Essendon - Josh Sinn
15. GWS - Jye Amiss

• GWS are no mugs, they know Callaghan is a chance to be the next Bont and won't pass on him.
  • I see GC preferring Andrew's raw potential to Gibcus, especially as Witts may only have a few years left.
  • Fyfe is gone for the year and might not be the same once he returns, and Mundy is surely near the end, so I see Fremantle wanting to replace both of them with equally tall and powerful midfielders. I can see them waiting another year to replace Lobb and letting Amiss slide.
  • St Kilda lack good tall defenders outside Howard (but correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Tough call for Essendon between Sinn and Nasiah, but I think they'll go with the local boy and safer option. Port will take whichever one Essendon don't.
  • I wasn't sure who to put for Melbourne, but since there's no pressure to get someone who can play right away, they may as well get the biggest athletic freak available and develop them slowly.
If Goater isn't there we'll take NWM. If neither are there we probably trade down with Richmond who are keen on Sinn apparently and look at Knevitt, Draper or Chesser

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan

7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
13. Essendon - Josh Sinn
15. GWS - Jye Amiss

• GWS are no mugs, they know Callaghan is a chance to be the next Bont and won't pass on him.
  • Fyfe is gone for the year and might not be the same once he returns, and Mundy is surely near the end, so I see Fremantle wanting to replace both of them with equally tall and powerful midfielders. I can see them waiting another year to replace Lobb and letting Amiss slide.
Think you’re right on Freo, plus we have Benning as an academy pick up, and could look at Williams, serong and Cripps late for the talls.

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan

7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
13. Essendon - Josh Sinn
15. GWS - Jye Amiss

• GWS are no mugs, they know Callaghan is a chance to be the next Bont and won't pass on him. Amiss isn't a true KPF, but he'll slot in well for GWS as their Finlayson replacement.
Fyfe gone for the year???? He’ll play round 1

Sorry I misread reports, in fact he'll be on antibiotics all of next year, but considering he hasn't run in four months and the shoulder surgery has gone terribly and created another infection, I'd be very surprised if he was playing in round 1. You'd think he has a significant risk of re-injury if the surgery is that complicated.

I like the Howes pick based on potential but also a medium forward and/or wing are both list needs. Melksham's just about done. The wing depth is still light on. The most pressing need for the forward line is someone to take over from Tom McDonald as the lead up CHF and the combination of Jackson, Fritsch and one genuine tall (Brown or if needed Weid) means it doesn't have to be another big tall. In fact McDonald's great strength is that he doesn't move like a genuine tall. Howes would fit nicely in that role, he looks to have natural marking talent.

I thought I heard about half way between those with a mid season comeback.
I hope it is Rnd 1, Fyfe is easy to like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Erasmus has been sliding a bit in peoples drafts. Good result for WC though and would be stoked if he he fell to us.

Id be very surprised if he doesnt go top 10 personally i think freo will take him if the other clubs dont.

Bit out of the box. Without knowing the draft night live trades it's a bit difficult.

1. NM --- JHF
2. Coll --- Daicos
3. WB --- Darcy
4. GWS --- Andrew
5. Suns --- Callaghan
6. Adel -- Josh Rachelle
7. Hawks --- Johnson
8. Freo --- Hobbs
9. Rich --- Erasmus
10. Freo --- NWM
11. Stk --- Gibcus
12. WCE --- Sinn
13. Ess --- Goater
14. Port --- Ward
15. GWS --- Draper
16. Lions --- Amiss
17. Rich --- Howes
18. Syd --- Sheldrick
19. Dees --- Tom Brown
20- Lions --- JVR
21. Freo --- Warner
22. NM --- Motlop
23. Hawks --- Sonsie
24. Cats --- Knevitt
25. Hawks --- Butler
26. Blues --- MacDonald
27. Rich --- Wilmot
28. Rich --- Chesser
29. Rich --- Bazzo
30. WCE --- Arthur Jones
31. Cats --- Alleer
32. Syd --- Taylor
33. Cats --- Long
34. Adel --- Roberts
35. Cats --- Hough

The next Few are Dean, Conway, Long, Stretch, Dittmar,

Think Jack Williams ends up a rookie pick.

Sorry if the order is wrong. I stole it off someone else

Are you a closet Richmond fan?

Always interesting to look at who the posters club takes at their next pick after an unusual pick. In this example Richmond need Fremantle to take Gibcus, leaving Erasmus for WC, and Johnson for Richmond.

Of course Gibcus makes no sense at all for Fremantle, but are interested in both of the others.
That is very cynical view. I went with Fox ratings in the top 10 which had Gibcus ahead of Johnson and NWM for Freo at pick 10.

I chose Johnson @17 but only because he was best available. Don't think he is a Richmond type of pick though.

FYI changed my first round picks in the https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-official-bigfooty-draft-tipping-competition.1292453/

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis.
2. Collingwood - Nick Daicos
3. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Essendon - Josh Goater