List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delist or trade out.

Currently according to footywire the following players are out of contract.

Cerra - Keep (or receive very good pick/s)
Banfield (R) - Gone
Bewley - 50/50
Tucker - Keep (or receive useful pick)
Mundy- Up to him.
Hughes- Keep
Tracey (R) - Keep
Schultz - Keep
Thomas (R) - Category B rookie, doesn’t matter in regards to this discussion.
Meek - Keep
Crowden - Most likely keep
Wilson - Keep
Conca - Keep
Swikowski - Most likely keep
Giro (R0 - 50/50
Duman (R) - 50/50
Watson (R) - 50/50
Colyer - 50/50
Hill - Gone

I really don’t see the space others do tbh.

Sure it’s easy to say delist half the list after a terrible loss but I believe the above is more than sensible.

Probably half the 50/50s are delisted. It’s just which ones.

Cerra or Tucker isn’t finding space as they’d attract picks we’d use anyway - we’d just be selecting an extra draftee.

I really don’t see the space others do tbh.

Sure it’s easy to say delist half the list after a terrible loss but I believe the above is more than sensible.

Probably half the 50/50s are delisted. It’s just which ones.

Cerra or Tucker isn’t finding space as they’d attract picks we’d use anyway - we’d just be selecting an extra draftee.
Yes we can be overreact over a bad loss.

My point generally is that AFL industry hold onto borderline players a bit too long.

The questions I would be asking are: are they best 22 or close to it? Are they a good chance to be best 22 in the future?

If the answer to both questions is no, then it must have a overwhelming reason to keep them on the list ie Ruck Cover.

I would add to the questions, can they play a 18 game season as well?

Let’s go to the mid season draft and bring as many players as possible.

Have the borderline players fight tooth and nail to stay on the list at the end of the year.

Giro, Crowden, Banfield, Hill, Duman and Bewley to be delisted. They are all replaceable depth.

Watson, Colyer and Conca were all 50/50 but have had really promising seasons so far. All three deserve an extension.
We have put in several years though with these players.
Too just move them on now?
Duman was never getting a gig in our backline, and you have to question with Henry, Young, Western, Walker, etc the same with others?
I’m hoping NOD is ok, or another
Blakely?
Rather we cut back on the vanilla
and look to add some spice.

Mid season draft is about topping up and bandaid fixes. Normally six month contracts or 12 if you're keen. Sometimes they stay longer, but usually they don't.

So with that in mind, what we need is a bigger bodied player to protect our kids, and give Fyfe, Mundy and Taberner support until seasons end.

My suggestion is probably going to be unpopular, but I like key forward Wylie Buzza. He is 25yrs old, 198cm (6'6") and 102kg, and from all reports is currently having a stellar season with Werribee FC.

So why not. He might even turn out to be that late bloomer who finds AFL form and sticks around beyond 2022.

Agree with taking the longer term approach if possible (caveat that I know very little about who can and can't be selected in the MSD). With our current injury list and form line, it's hard to see us making finals or being in a situation where a mature body from the state leagues is the difference between top 8 and bottom 8.

A youngish KPF/KPD yet to be drafted or who was overlooked in their draft year but seems on an upward trajectory seems worth a shot. They probably don't work out long term but it's a free hit I guess.

My suggestion is probably going to be unpopular, but I like key forward Wylie Buzza. He is 25yrs old, 198cm (6'6") and 102kg, and from all reports is currently having a stellar season with Werribee FC.
Be useful if we had someone, maybe an ex player, at Werribee to give us the inside scoop.

On the other hand, not sure who the coach is but hopefully they won't get annoyed losing their key forward mid season.

I reckon two mature players (we already have plenty of talented kids and we'll be getting more in the draft later this year)

A ready made KPD is priority imo. Also a strong body who can play Mid/Hff. With Sturt going down there's a spot for a medium tall and able to play minutes in the midfield would be handy.

1.Kpd ( 21yo to 27yo)
2. Half Fwd/Midfielder (21yo to 30yo)

Be useful if we had someone, maybe an ex player, at Werribee to give us the inside scoop.

On the other hand, not sure who the coach is but hopefully they won't get annoyed losing their key forward mid season.

Wouldn't North or someone down the ladder swoop in before us if he's dominating.

We still have Treacy in the 2nds, don't think a KPF is what we're looking for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Buzza has proven he’s a massive spud at two different AFL clubs.

Ultimately I want us to select the players who’ve got the highest ceiling. Whether they’re 19 or 25 I don’t really care.

Drafting short term injury cover is poor long term list management if you’re not playing finals imo.

Isn't there a stat that everybody that was drafted mid season in 2019 are no longer on a AFL list. Maybe one player still is..out of how many?

We're 4 and 3. Mathematical still in the hunt. I think we need to cover those injuries with ready made players.

Perhaps we could draft Jackson Callow as KPD cover?

Hard not to smile when people think some State League player is going to come in and make a major difference to our side. Hayden Schloithe dominates at WAFL level... maybe we should draft him? :rolleyes:

In our team's current situation all you are doing in drafting some solid State League player is taking away opportunity/experience from our young up-and-coming players. They aren't going to suddenly propel us into premiership contention.

The O'Reilly pick in 2019 was dumb because he wasn't in good form when we drafted him which then meant we gave him zero time to get back into form, develop and prove himself. But picking a speculative is and was the right move imo - just perhaps this time maybe we should pick some young player in good form who can play at Peel and have a good chance to show something to remain on our list.

I'd still go a KPF or a fwd/ruck because if we had an extra rookie spot last draft I'd imagine that would have been the smartest pick. They'd improve the structure at Peel which would help the development of our other players. There are like 3 MSD players (from 2019) still on lists. It's a low chance of success, take a chance on someone but also don't get overly emotional if/when it doesn't work out.

Isn't there a stat that everybody that was drafted mid season in 2019 are no longer on a AFL list. Maybe one player still is..out of how many?

We're 4 and 3. Mathematical still in the hunt. I think we need to cover those injuries with ready made players.

Not at all. There’s four.

Deluca (Delisted 2019)
Riordan (Delisted 2020)
Dunkley (Delisted 2020)
Knoll (Delisted 2020)
Hosie (Delisted 2020)
Gardner (Still listed by the Western Bulldogs)
Snelling (Playing regularly for Essendon)
Mayo (Delisted 2020)
Sutcliffe (Delisted 2020)
O’Reilly (Delisted 2020)
Pickett (Best 22 at Richmond)
Noble (Playing regularly at Collingwood)
Hirst (Delisted 2019)

There’s a few drafted at the end of 2019 that were available for the MSD and are pretty handy.

Hard not to smile when people think some State League player is going to come in and make a major difference to our side. Hayden Schloithe dominates at WAFL level... maybe we should draft him?

In our team's current situation all you are doing in drafting some solid State League player is taking away opportunity/experience from our young up-and-coming players. They aren't going to suddenly propel us into premiership contention.

The O'Reilly pick in 2019 was dumb because he wasn't in good form when we drafted him which then meant we gave him zero time to get back into form, develop and prove himself. But picking a speculative is and was the right move imo - just perhaps this time maybe we should pick some young player in good form who can play at Peel and have a good chance to show something to remain on our list.

I'd still go a KPF or a fwd/ruck because if we had an extra rookie spot last draft I'd imagine that would have been the smartest pick. They'd improve the structure at Peel which would help the development of our other players. There are like 3 MSD players (from 2019) still on lists. It's a low chance of success, take a chance on someone but also don't get overly emotional if/when it doesn't work out.

Smart summary of the situation imo.

I think we’ve got to actually think these guys can make it at AFL level. That doesn’t mean thinking they’re a certainty etc. but if we don’t rate said player as a future AFL player I’d rather pass tbh (personally I don’t think it’ll be that way unless we have more picks in the MSD).

For me keeping Banfield on the list made little sense and the spot should’ve been filled by a ruckman (forward/ruck obviously more ideal but as long as they’ve got some forward ability tbh).

Last edited:
Aren't "depth players" just players who aren't getting a game at the moment? I think most players who make it on to a list can elevate their game for a season or two. It's just a matter of luck and timing and sometimes determination as to if and when that happens also coincides with a spot in the team.

Colyer at the moment has turned the tide with his form. Could be he was producing this form down at Peel and it'd be written off as lower level stuff. If you're always cycling through these players it's introducing a level of chaos you don't really need.

We've had a massive turnover since 2016. I think more stability for a time will be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back