2021 Non-Crows AFL Talk 2: are the VFL corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't get it to your mouth without taking it off, but you cant take it off unless its touching your mouth?
Whats a bloke to do?
Waterboard himself?
facebook-com-mallardicecream-e-jpg.1149652

Ok, on a more serious note...

w-dailymail-co-uk-emma-louise-connolly-goes-viral-31059040-e-jpg.1149653

I get the traditional games, but that one I just don't get at all.

Because it’s not traditional, the VFL only started it 10 years ago to give two struggling clubs a leg up

Nothing to see here.

No doubt the AFL will fabricate permission for the game to have gone ahead and say all COVID protocols were followed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

we know they're incompetent, corrupt and blatantly manufacture preferred results but I don't see them saying they've sanctioned something contrary to current lockdown rules.

we know they're incompetent, corrupt and blatantly manufacture preferred results but I don't see them saying they've sanctioned something contrary to current lockdown rules.
Well they set the bar at $50k for five players and staff not wearing masks on a plane.

What punishment can they hand out for breaking Victorian lockdown rules so blatantly by 4 clubs? .

They are in a corner. But if they say it was allowed and then falls into the normal workplace exception for not being locked down.

Last edited:
So using the severity scale that's about a $50m fine for each club
More than that.

A few players not wearing a face mask on a plane is not on par with 4 clubs organising an unsanctioned scratch match in a lockdown.

Edit, I didn't see the "million".....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep..out of their soft cap. They will just have random players running out onto the ground each week for the next 20 years after strapping and bandaging themselves up and giving each other a rubdown...as there will be no staff whatsoever

Can anyone post the text of that Herald Sun article. I see that it includes the words "navigated their way around".....so they wont be fined. Also note the media is clearly done with the mask story....thus no other club will be fined despite the breaches we have all clearly seen.

Well they set the bar at $50k for five players and staff not wearing masks on a plane.

What punishment can they hand out for breaking Victorian lockdown rules so blatantly by 4 clubs? .

They are in a corner. But if they say it was allowed and then falls into the normal workplace exception for not being locked down.

Didn't think of the workplace angle. I'm going to assume the AFL hasn't put any special rules in place since lockdown, so they weren't breaking the state law or AFL covid rules. Whereas we would have done both. If clubs are allowed to train under state rules and interact with other AFL bubble participants, then there's probably no reason a scratch match couldn't be organised that didn't contradict the rules of either regime.

It's vastly different to when the AFL imposed restrictions to ensure equivalence in ability to train that got us into trouble last year. I'm sure that will be raised numerous times, but I'm now doubtful it'll have any relevace here.

Can anyone post the text of that Herald Sun article. I see that it includes the words "navigated their way around".....so they wont be fined. Also note the media is clearly done with the mask story....thus no other club will be fined despite the breaches we have all clearly seen.

More than 30 players from four Victorian clubs locked horns in an a secret AFL scratch match at Carlton’s headquarters on Sunday in the midst of Melbourne’s lockdown.
Players from Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Essendon who were not selected in round 12 participated in the club-run match simulation.

The plan was to play 15-minute quarters, with 15 players on each team.

Cagey clubs were concerned that it was a poor look for players to be participating in full-blown match practice against players from three other clubs in the heart of Melbourne’s Covid-19 restrictions.

But only AFL-listed players were permitted to play and the league said no rules were broken.

Victorian health officials have given the AFL the green light to play games in the middle of lockdown under the state’s “High Performance and Professional Sport” Covid-19 permissions.

The AFL chose to relocate the Dreamtime (Perth Stadium) and Queen’s Birthday (SCG) marquee games so crowds will attend – but could’ve played them both at an empty MCG.

Under that principle Sunday’s scrimmage was ticked off, and is likely to be repeated this week if there is no VFL.

More than 30 players from four Victorian clubs locked horns in an a secret AFL scratch match at Carlton’s headquarters on Sunday in the midst of Melbourne’s lockdown.
Players from Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne and Essendon who were not selected in round 12 participated in the club-run match simulation.

The plan was to play 15-minute quarters, with 15 players on each team.

Cagey clubs were concerned that it was a poor look for players to be participating in full-blown match practice against players from three other clubs in the heart of Melbourne’s Covid-19 restrictions.

But only AFL-listed players were permitted to play and the league said no rules were broken.

Victorian health officials have given the AFL the green light to play games in the middle of lockdown under the state’s “High Performance and Professional Sport” Covid-19 permissions.

The AFL chose to relocate the Dreamtime (Perth Stadium) and Queen’s Birthday (SCG) marquee games so crowds will attend – but could’ve played them both at an empty MCG.

Under that principle Sunday’s scrimmage was ticked off, and is likely to be repeated this week if there is no VFL.
Well that settles that then.

Didn't think of the workplace angle. I'm going to assume the AFL hasn't put any special rules in place since lockdown, so they weren't breaking the state law or AFL covid rules. Whereas we would have done both. If clubs are allowed to train under state rules and interact with other AFL bubble participants, then there's probably no reason a scratch match couldn't be organised that didn't contradict the rules of either regime.

It's vastly different to when the AFL imposed restrictions to ensure equivalence in ability to train that got us into trouble last year. I'm sure that will be raised numerous times, but I'm now doubtful it'll have any relevace here.
Yeah they will just say it is part of the workplace. No COVID breach.

Last edited:

Highly doubtful.

Yes or no - have they breached Vic lockdown laws? This is for Vic govt to determine.
If Yes - they're screwed, Vic govt sanctions followed by AFL sanctions.

If no - have they breached AFL's covid bubble guidelines?
If yes - they're in trouble
If no - they're not

I'm going to assume this meets the workplace exemption under Vic govt rules, so the only question is the AFL bubble issue. I'm betting that as long as everyone involved is an authorised bubble person, then no rules were infringed. Remember that when Vic went into lockdown, the AFL don't revisit their own bubble system.

I know the many here with their persecution complexes will conflate the 2 potential issues and arrive at a totally subjective belief. They'll totally ignore that it's a given fact that we broke both bubble rules and govt rules in terms of wearing masks on planes. And they will refuse to assess the actions against the two separate and distinct regimes in place. If the @nswer is no to both, then they've done nothin* wrong. Simpke questions, sim0le answers and our penalty is totally irrelevant. This year's and last.

More than that.

A few players not wearing a face mask on a plane is not on par with 4 clubs organising an unsanctioned scratch match in a lockdown.

Edit, I didn't see the "million".....

See, this is just dumbness. Masks on the plane is a known breach of rules. You're demanding a penalty and yet don't even know if they've broken either or both AFL and Govt rules. You need to confirm the latter before you consider the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back