Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just read through this thread and there were two little gems from the game that nobody seems to have commented on.
1. Gulden's slick all-in-one movement to pluck the ball out of the air and place it on his boot to actually hit a leading forward was an absolute highlight for me, and made me ask 'what the hell do we have here?'
2. As much as I despise BT's commentating, he did drop a blue line in there at one point that I am sure he had been looking for an opportunity to use. It was when someone sold some candy to Isaac Cummings...
That move from Errol was a genuine WOW moment

Gotta say, I can’t sit with the notion this loss is on Bell. Simply ignorant. Every player in the squad will have moments they want to take back that might have changed a one point loss. Every bombed kick into a forward line played a roll. Every missed tackle, every poor decision etc etc. we lost this one as a team, even Lewis in not individually responsible!, we lost this as a team.

You're letting Bell off far too easily. He was entirely useless last night. Had a truly terrible game, but could've redeemed himself at the end and failed dismally. Seriously, how do you miss that shot? People say oh but Buddy and Wicks missed too, but Bell's was by far the easiest kick. He did actually cost us the game. An abysmal player and I hope we never see him in the team again.

That's letting Bell off far too easily. He was entirely useless last night. Had a truly terrible game, but could've redeemed himself at the end and failed dismally. Seriously, how do you miss that shot? People say oh but Buddy and Wicks missed too, but Bell's was by far the easiest kick. He did actually cost us the game. An abysmal player and I hope we never see him in the team again.

looks like we totally disagree.

In terms of Bell and Melican, we understand that others made mistakes as well. Instances such as:
  • Wicks missing the goal on the run
  • Hayward dribbler which hit the post
  • Papleys snaps falling short and the set shot that missed everything
  • Rampe not accounting for Greene early on when he was dominating
  • Franklin missing a goal from his sweet spot.
  • Hickey, who is usually a great kick for goal misses the set shot.
I think everyone in the team knows that if one of their possessions went the other way, wed be singing a different tune. But for players who aren't going to be in the best 22 week in, week out, this was the time to stake their claim in the side. I think the eery feeling came when Bell missed the easy set shot. That was the downer and unfortunately it seemed to be infectious. And the makeshift backline ended up costing us when even the issues arose in round 1 (it was covered up by scoring a lot). They targeted our big weakness back there.

Gotta say, I can’t sit with the notion this loss is on Bell. Simply ignorant. Every player in the squad will have moments they want to take back that might have changed a one point loss. Every bombed kick into a forward line played a roll. Every missed tackle, every poor decision etc etc. we lost this one as a team, even Lewis in not individually responsible!, we lost this as a team.
You're letting Bell off far too easily. He was entirely useless last night. Had a truly terrible game, but could've redeemed himself at the end and failed dismally. Seriously, how do you miss that shot? People say oh but Buddy and Wicks missed too, but Bell's was by far the easiest kick. He did actually cost us the game. An abysmal player and I hope we never see him in the team again.
Buddy misses from 50.. hes been kicking them all year
Hickey misses from 40.. hes been kicking them all year
Wicks hits the post from 30.. hes been kicking them all year
Hayward hits the post from in tight.. hes been kicking them all year
Heeney handballs into congestion when he had space to turn and snap.. turns and snaps and theres a good chance he goals
Bell misses the easiest of shots.

The Team lost, but Bell should've kicked that

The worst part for me about all those misses (not just late in the game but even earlier on) is that so many were not bad misses at all. So many narrowly missed, or just curled the wrong way at the last second, or hit the ******* post. So it's not like we could say bad kicking is bad football because we were having shots that on any given day could've gone through. Just wasn't our day.

I don't care what anyone may think of Bell, but I'm pretty sure he is having to deal with some pretty dark thoughts himself today. I think we can acknowledge that he didn't have a good game, but also acknowledge that it has nothing to do with him as a person.
With all of the poison I am reading (not necessarily this site) I am concerned for him. He is a young man who is trying to live his dream and it has turned into a nightmare on the biggest stage of his life so far.
Ok, he had a poor game but he wasn't alone. Let's just remember that he is probably more disappointed in himself right now than we are.

I just want to say how proud I am of my son Sam. Sam runs on determination and hard work and he showed that yesterday with his tackles and contested possessions. He did his job feeding Isaac his goals. For a young player he lifted in the last quarter busting to get the win. We have all replayed over in our mind his brilliant individual effort that hit the post, thinking what might have been.
Speaking to Sam after the game they are shattered. Really shattered.
We expect Sam to be home in a couple of days, just another person in lockdown.
He knows he has some things to work on ready for next year.
We are very proud of Sams year. To be picked every week in a side full of stars is a great achievement.
For you guys in this forum, thanks for a great year! There are some good footy minds and everyone is so passionate. Sometimes the things said are painful but that’s ok.
Have a great break!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're a legend Ralphy. Not many would have the guts or the wits to open themselves up to what strangers have to say about a loved one. Let alone with the class and restraint you show.

And Sam is great. What a journey from "who is this rookie tackling like a mad man in this NEAFL match?" to being a mainstay in a finals side two years later!

I don't care what anyone may think of Bell, but I'm pretty sure he is having to deal with some pretty dark thoughts himself today. I think we can acknowledge that he didn't have a good game, but also acknowledge that it has nothing to do with him as a person.
With all of the poison I am reading (not necessarily this site) I am concerned for him. He is a young man who is trying to live his dream and it has turned into a nightmare on the biggest stage of his life so far.
Ok, he had a poor game but he wasn't alone. Let's just remember that he is probably more disappointed in himself right now than we are.

I really hope him deleting his Instagram had nothing to do with any criticism he might've been copping.

I’ve sent a DM to Isaac asking him to pass on a big hug from myself and my kid to Belly. I encourage others to do the same. Spread it across the playing group. Defeat hate with love.

That group have given us everything in this otherwise shitful year. And it includes Belly.

Be Better Bloods! 🔴⚪️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[
I’ve sent a DM to Isaac asking him to pass on a big hug from myself and my kid to Belly. I encourage others to do the same. Spread it across the playing group. Defeat hate with love.

That group have given us everything in this otherwise shitful year. And it includes Belly.

Be Better Bloods! 🔴⚪

Great idea Bruce but might I suggest maybe messaging some of the less high-profile players. Heeney's got too many followers to likely check his DMs. But I sent a DM to Campbell after he kicked his first goal and he replied to me (I'm pretty much famous...) Think you might have more chance of getting through to them. I dunno, just a thought. Love the idea though

2. As much as I despise BT's commentating, he did drop a blue line in there at one point that I am sure he had been looking for an opportunity to use. It was when someone sold some candy to Isaac Cummings...
Brian: “jeez cumming swallowed all of that, didn’t he”

Buddy misses from 50.. hes been kicking them all year
Hickey misses from 40.. hes been kicking them all year
Wicks hits the post from 30.. hes been kicking them all year
Hayward hits the post from in tight.. hes been kicking them all year
Heeney handballs into congestion when he had space to turn and snap.. turns and snaps and theres a good chance he goals
Bell misses the easiest of shots.

The Team lost, but Bell should've kicked that
No denying that

[

Great idea Bruce but might I suggest maybe messaging some of the less high-profile players. Heeney's got too many followers to likely check his DMs. But I sent a DM to Campbell after he kicked his first goal and he replied to me (I'm pretty much famous...) Think you might have more chance of getting through to them. I dunno, just a thought. Love the idea though
I happened to have a photo of him with my kid. I’m hoping others will spread it across the group. Hashtag it #bebetterbloods

SwansProudly Would you mind spreading this in the Facebook group?

Last edited:
I really hope him deleting his Instagram had nothing to do with any criticism he might've been copping.
We all know it would have.

Yes, it didn't cost us the game but been on the list for 6 years and with little to no 'footy brain' and that is a bigger issue.
3c822fd652527ab40b8286011e5e5453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes, it didn't cost us the game but been on the list for 6 years and with little to no 'footy brain' and that is a bigger issue.
3c822fd652527ab40b8286011e5e5453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He's only there because they have pulled all back , not a position he's probably found himself in too many times

I felt Melican got out-marked a lot but worth asking the question who could possibly defend the field-kicking GWS were doing? When we are hitting up leading marking targets lace out, it's our foot skills that are just sublime. When our opponents are hitting up leading marking targets lace out, it's because Melican's shit.

You can't defend a great kick to a forward's advantage. Maybe we need to just be more consistent with our pressure, particularly on the ball-carrier so their disposal will be rushed, rather than letting them launch 50m passes inside 50 with no perceived or applied pressure on the bloke kicking it.

that’s not necessarily the most straightforward kick. Plenty of space when in a freeze frame.

also not like that is melican view

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back