List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably all of them at some stage. They are only 19 and history suggests that even high draft picks spend time moving between the seniors and reserves. Right now he is an upgrade on Mahoney. There will be plenty of experimenting with the line up over pre season and even early in the season to find the best fit.

Agree reckon the mix of our fwd line will change.... be 2 talls as the constant, then resting ruck, an xfactor fwd ie cz JHF or Ford.... then two smalls a pressure one and a creative one, of which we only have one currently, but talk of mac and maybe another in the draft or stengle! Obviously aim to be fluid/interchangeable other than the two talls. Obviously no tt here so maybe resting mid in there too instead of one of the smalls.... someone like JHF could fill any of the 3, in small fwd, xfact or resting mid. will all depend who we add to list but exciting times

I've currently ct on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the reports are correct that macpherson is on 500k, thats the downside we are taking on. Clearly GC don't think he's worth that anymore, and I would agree based on more than one year of evidence. Trade using future 2nd looks a slight win, we could use the situation to our advantage to pay less, using future 3rd. I don't think there are other clubs that could offer them the whole salary dump, so i think we don't need to compromise to beat other bidders.
But it's only for one year and it's highly unlikely, given what's available, that we're going to be offering any big contracts to FAs or in trades over the next week.

I also suspect that if we do this trade, we'll extend MacPherson by a year and shift around the salary so he's getting 700-800k over the two years and we're not paying him the 500k straight up next year.

How is it meh? We're literally gaining heaps on that trade. If we're bottom four, it would effectively be pick 20-24 for 19, a 3rd rounder and MacPherson. How is that anything other than a resounding win, especially if we then manage to flip 19 for something else?
The difference between you and me is you're counting DM as a positive gain. We are taking on someone Gold Coast would otherwise delist. So we're losing a list spot. The value of a 3rd rounder is also massively overrated on here. It is a slight win. We don't NEED to make this deal, they do. So they NEED to make it worth our while. Future 3rd or GTFO.

Agree reckon the mix of our fwd line will change.... be 2 talls as the constant, then resting ruck, an xfactor fwd ie cz JHF or Ford.... then two smalls a pressure one and a creative one, of which we only have one currently, but talk of mac and maybe another in the draft or stengle! Obviously aim to be fluid/interchangeable other than the two talls. Obviously no tt here so maybe resting mid in there too instead of one of the smalls.... someone like JHF could fill any of the 3, in small fwd, xfact or resting mid. will all depend who we add to list but exciting times

I've currently ct on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah nice to have some depth. Sometimes we can forget that the young fellas are still finding their feet, and that they will probably have the odd tired performance and end up in the 2s for a spell. That isnt a bad thing. Just indicative of how long and hard the season is, particularly on those guys finding their feet and adjusting to the game

But it's only for one year and it's highly unlikely, given what's available, that we're going to be offering any big contracts to FAs or in trades over the next week.

I also suspect that if we do this trade, we'll extend MacPherson by a year and shift around the salary so he's getting 700-800k over the two years and we're not paying him the 500k straight up next year.
He will probably get 3 years i reckon

I'd do 19+20 for 11 in a heartbeat if it meant Goater. An argument could be made for Rachele based on our needs.

I really like Wilmot and Tom Brown too from a needs perspective but we'd likely be able to grab one of them if we held onto 19+20.
I'm on the Soup Bus in terms of bundling those picks.
I support a team that is currently 18th and I'm already feeling sorry for the rest.
Imagine in 3 or 4 years time - the likes of LDU, Jy, Powell and Phillips shovelling it out to the likes of TT, Horne and a Goater type. Seriously good times ahead.

That doesn't sound legal. At the very least, we would have to accommodate the $500k in our cap in year one. Perhaps there can be an alternate arrangement with the player.

Maybe Dodoro is actually good but the coaches are sh*t.
As I said, I think he does a lot of things right, but at least some of the failure should be on him as the list manager. Look at Carlton and all the crap coaches/admin/development they have had, but they have still won a final eight years ago.

The difference between you and me is you're counting DM as a positive gain. We are taking on someone Gold Coast would otherwise delist. So we're losing a list spot. The value of a 3rd rounder is also massively overrated on here. It is a slight win. We don't NEED to make this deal, they do. So they NEED to make it worth our while. Future 3rd or GTFO.
That’s fine if all you are interested in is a Dodo style “winning the trade” scenario to boast about on BigFooty.

I think that there’s value in even a straight swap of 19 for future second provided our recruiters are happy with this year’s talent pool. Aside from the leverage of two picks in a row, I think it is sensible to cluster as many high picks as you can into consecutive drafts and bring them through as a group rather than spreading them out over several years.

As you’re alluding to, we can probably swing a better deal than that. But I wouldn’t walk away based on some ambit claim when there is definite value to us in a trade.

That doesn't sound legal. At the very least, we would have to accommodate the $500k in our cap in year one. Perhaps there can be an alternate arrangement with the player.
I'm like 99% sure it is legal and it's what we did with Stephenson's contract when we extended him after getting him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s fine if all you are interested in is a Dodo style “winning the trade” scenario to boast about on BigFooty.

I think that there’s value in even a straight swap of 19 for future second provided our recruiters are happy with this year’s talent pool. Aside from the leverage of two picks in a row, I think it is sensible to cluster as many high picks as you can into consecutive drafts and bring them through as a group rather than spreading them out over several years.

As you’re alluding to, we can probably swing a better deal than that. But I wouldn’t walk away based on some ambit claim when there is definite value to us in a trade.
Pretty much this

Maybe Dodoro is actually good but the coaches are sh*t.

Yeah he might do what Popovich did at the Spurs and make himself coach

Alright, so Walshy is OOC next year at Carltank.. how much would he be worth? Can Carlton really afford to pay him his worth and keep their over paid salary cap busting list? Im not interested in him as we have our own Walsh < Horne coming through. But in all honesty, would they be at risk of being unable to afford him? McKay will be asking a decent penny if he continues to rise.. I think they are in a world of trouble with their cap. If they pull it off, I would like to see an investigation!

Offer Walsh a million and blow the blues cap into smithereens

Kinda like Bazzo now jvr is likely gone. I haven’t see any aleer to comment

My contention isn't that 19&20 is not a good hand. It is that giving up a future 2nd to make it happen is expensive.
Yeah don't agree that it's expensive though. It's certainly more expensive than a 3rd, but 19 by itself is worth more than the future 2nd, and it's extremely likely to be parlayed into something of greater value because it's right in the sweet spot for overzealous buyers. And there's a free player who's potentially useful.

I'm not very good at playing Trade Week Tough Guy on the internet. Like I said if we pull it off for a 3rd awesome, all hail Brady, but you do it for a second rather than have the deal fall over or get gazumped.

Nah they wouldn't delist him if they're still on the hook for his cap hit. He's an ok player who could work out in a position of need, or provide solid pressure on those in the team at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back