List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda like Bazzo now jvr is likely gone. I haven’t see any aleer to comment
The highlights of Aleer I’ve seen are all incredible athleticism and crazy intercept and contested marks. I did note however that the highlights cut each time before he either kicked or moved on by handball.

Would love someone to provide further highlights of his skills with ball in hand. Would hate to recruit someone who’s great at marking but equally adept at turning it over. I’m sure it’s just because I’ve seen the wrong highlights.

EDIT: just seen that Shinboner has read my mind and posted highlights above. Will watch and see if they put my mind to rest. Cheers.

Let’s get this trade done early with GC before Essendon swoop in for their pick 19.
I’d take 19 & 20 to the draft and select JVR/Bazzo and then Wilmot.
We’d be strengthening our backline for the future. Really rate Wilmot as well.
If we end up with Horne-Francis, JVR/Bazzo and Wilmot plus CCJ and Macpherson, who I think can play a role for us, we’d be walking away as the champs of trade week and the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s get this trade done early with GC before Essendon swoop in for their pick 19.
If we end up with Horne-Francis, JVR/Bazzo and Wilmot plus CCJ and Macpherson, who I think can play a role for us, we’d be walking away as the champs of trade week and the draft.

Yeah i can see it now Barrett c+ for the NMFC 20-21 Draft ratings.

Sounds like we're compromising on a trade where we have the leverage.

This is what I unserstand of the situation, and what makes me think we should only do the trade with GC for our future 3rd:
- none of the other clubs have 500k room in their salary cap, North is the only club that could take the entirety of macpherson's salary
- GC don't particularly need pick 19 given their already bulging list and need to clear cap space for retaining stars coming out of contract next year and asking for pay raises
- macpherson's best footy was as a mid, and ideally would only be depth at our club, given the need to play our own highly rated youngsters. Even if Horne needs time before playing seniors, we'll have Cunnington, Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin, Thomas, Powell, Phillips, Stephenson jockeying for midfield time

This is why I think its feasible we only offer future 3rd, thus ending up with 19 for potential use in draft night discussions, plus keeping two picks in the top 40 for next year. Given our rebuilding status, i think we'd be retaining picks in 1st and 2nd rounds every year for the short term.
Take 1,19 and 20

As a club get the deal done for pick 19 before those SCUMBAGS before they try and doing it.

Future 2nd for 19 on it's own is a good trade, 19 is the best our 2nd rounder next year could be and hopefully it will be a bit worse!

It is hard to judge the value of a salary dump as it isn't really a thing in the AFL yet. There have been a few of half decent players for throwaway picks to move salary in the past, but this is different.

I think cap space and list spots are assets with value and should be able to be used exactly as players and draft picks are in negotiations. I don't know where DMac fits in our planning, if he arrives at North, he's a Shinboner and I'll back him and the recruiters. But realistically, he will take a list spot and that most likely means there isn't one for either Froggy or Ats that may have been there otherwise. If that is purely a list needs decision, that is fine, but this potential trade suggests that it is more about GC needing the space, so us providing it has value and needs to be paid for.

Same with the salary. It seems we clearly have more cap space than most clubs, but like what has been done in the past, we could restructure current contracts to front end them and use any extra space that way. GC clearly need the money off their books, they have a few big names they need to have money free to pay. If we provide that relief it has got to come at a cost.

To me, from GC's point of view, the need of the trade is not about whether they get a 2nd or a 3rd rounder back for it, is about solving the salary cap and list spot problem. Unless there is another club that can offer everything there that we can, are they going to be too concerned about where the pick they get next year for it sits if it is the difference between keeping or losing King or whoever else?

I'm a little worried that the news came out early about pick 19.
Seems like GC leaked it in hope of getting a better deal.
Hope im reading this wrong though.
Or it is (informally) done and it just leaked out. Or we shouldn't read too much into it.

Future 2nd for 19 on it's own is a good trade, 19 is the best our 2nd rounder next year could be and hopefully it will be a bit worse!

It is hard to judge the value of a salary dump as it isn't really a thing in the AFL yet. There have been a few of half decent players for throwaway picks to move salary in the past, but this is different.

I think cap space and list spots are assets with value and should be able to be used exactly as players and draft picks are in negotiations. I don't know where DMac fits in our planning, if he arrives at North, he's a Shinboner and I'll back him and the recruiters. But realistically, he will take a list spot and that most likely means there isn't one for either Froggy or Ats that may have been there otherwise. If that is purely a list needs decision, that is fine, but this potential trade suggests that it is more about GC needing the space, so us providing it has value and needs to be paid for.

Same with the salary. It seems we clearly have more cap space than most clubs, but like what has been done in the past, we could restructure current contracts to front end them and use any extra space that way. GC clearly need the money off their books, they have a few big names they need to have money free to pay. If we provide that relief it has got to come at a cost.

To me, from GC's point of view, the need of the trade is not about whether they get a 2nd or a 3rd rounder back for it, is about solving the salary cap and list spot problem. Unless there is another club that can offer everything there that we can, are they going to be too concerned about where the pick they get next year for it sits if it is the difference between keeping or losing King or whoever else?
17 is the best our second rounder can be next year.
If the dogs and pies play off in the GF and both have deficet.
Very unlikely the pies get there LOL.

Who else will pay Macpherson half a mill? We’re basically paying 500k for an untried 18 year old and we don’t even know who he is. I don’t think many other clubs (if any) are in position to do this trade.

17 is the best our second rounder can be next year.
If the dogs and pies play off in the GF and both have deficet.
Very unlikely the pies get there LOL.
Very good point. I may have missed that possibility..... or I was factoring in that happening, but then the AFL digging up a couple more PPs for GC to waste on something else :laughing:

I heard from a St.Kilda mate that North will get 19 and 20 then on trade them to Red and Black Scum for 11.
Hopefully, it's only a rumor.

Very good point. I may have missed that possibility..... or I was factoring in that happening, but then the AFL digging up a couple more PPs for GC to waste on something else :laughing:
If the dogs get deficit they will trade there future first.
Deficit doesn't apply to the new club holding the pick.
So essentially the pick is more valuable to us than the dogs.
For us it would be a late first rounder
For the dogs it would be 22-23.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else will pay Macpherson half a mill? We’re basically paying 500k for an untried 18 year old and we don’t even know who he is. I don’t think many other clubs (if any) are in position to do this trade.

Hes 23 and finished 3rd in their b n f when they played him as a small fwd. He has been shuffled into the midfield and fallen out of favour. 500k is overpriced but we can afford him and he will play next year. Share the load over a 3 year deal and we move up the draft board, good business

Two questions about the McPherson salary dump scenario:

- is it possible, within the rules, that Gold Coast would pay part of his salary eg half?

- what message does it send to others in the playing group if we pay McPherson $500k, but someone like a Zurhaar (or other established players on our list that may be on less $$s) are on $500k or less?

- is it possible, within the rules, that Gold Coast would pay part of his salary eg half?

- what message does it send to others in the playing group if we pay McPherson $500k, but someone like a Zurhaar (or other established players on our list that may be on less $$s) are on $500k or less?

They are professional athletes, they would be understanding of the mechanisms GC used to retain their players led to his inflated salary. And it will be one year of 500k. Really not a big deal in the scheme of things

If we somehow found a way to off Polec (pay in 400k range now), I wouldn't say no to another DMac cap dump deal. A lot of clubs are under the pump, could fit a need with another fringe sort we like and get another nice pick.

At the stage of development where we are doing trial and error anyway for role players.

Also, 38 and leeway on Taz is fine and reasonable, not sure why you need to burn bridges and f*** other clubs over on every deal.

Plus, if we can manoeuver well enough, 38 could be too late for us on list spots anyway.

Last edited:
Hes 23 and finished 3rd in their b n f when they played him as a small fwd. He has been shuffled into the midfield and fallen out of favour. 500k is overpriced but we can afford him and he will play next year. Share the load over a 3 year deal and we move up the draft board, good business

I actually think MacPherson is a good get, he's a decent player and one of a few that GC drop in and out of the side because they are up against early draft picks they need to make work.

Assumed GC will pay part of his salary, as per the articles on Friday. I also suspect his salary is back ended so they're using us to clear him out and front end some other deals in 2022.

As for other players, people negotiate their own contracts through their own management, no player is really on the same. Been that way forever. Why would Zurhaar care what MacPherson is on, or what Stevo came in on, or what JHF extends for? It's a non-issue. If they want more money they can earn it, negotiate it or find it elsewhere.

I actually think MacPherson is a good get, he's a decent player and one of a few that GC drop in and out of the side because they are up against early draft picks they need to make work.

Assumed GC will pay part of his salary, as per the articles on Friday. I also suspect his salary is back ended so they're using us to clear him out and front end some other deals in 2022.

As for other players, people negotiate their own contracts through their own management, no player is really on the same. Been that way forever. Why would Zurhaar care what MacPherson is on, or what Stevo came in on, or what JHF extends for? It's a non-issue. If they want more money they can earn it, negotiate it or find it elsewhere.
I expect Dmac to be loved by the club and slagged off in here.
Same as Turner
Same as Mahoney.
It comes with that role.

He won't replace anyone but will be putting heat on a spot. Beefs up our VFL midfield too.
Nothing wrong with that. I responded when someone said he was best 22. he is a forward/mid so he is keeping one of those named players out of the side. Or Scott/Taylor I spose.

I've got no problems with this deal but we are doing them a favour so a future third is fair enough imo. They want access to our cap space. Its our asset and afaik we are the only side able to provide that sort of cap relief to anyone else. We're not bleeding them dry but we are costing ourselves a chance to repeat the Sleevo deal with them in future and they probably know it. They are effectively asking us to give up a list spot and three seasons wages. Its unlikely he comes for one year and no future chance at playing.

How is it meh? We're literally gaining heaps on that trade. If we're bottom four, it would effectively be pick 20-24 for 19, a 3rd rounder and MacPherson. How is that anything other than a resounding win, especially if we then manage to flip 19 for something else?
Tom Dyson says hi.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on some of the rumors I’ve been hearing both through Richmond and North people.

I’m hearing Sydney Stack and Jared Polec could become involved in discussions, however this could also mean Pick 20 may come into the picture too ie CCJ and Tarrant. Has anyone else heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back