Paul Hunter

Traded;
Luke Dunstan

Retired;
Jake Carlisle
Dylan Roberton
Shaun McKernan
James Frawley

To see the full playing list list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 - Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 - Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2 – completion: Thursday November 25 (7pm - late)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday 6 December

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday 19 December - Sunday 9 January

Last edited by a moderator:
This is pedantic to the point of pointlessness but fine, add Bytel to that too if you wanna get real pedantic.

Good point, forgot about him.

It's not pedantic- because it's central to my whole point.

We need more fulltime midfielders- good ones. (Better than seb ross)

Why?
Because we currently only have a horrible grand total of 2.

Every top 8 team I'd wager (without checking) would have easily more than 2 fulltime mids better than seb ross.

Circling back to your original point- why are we obsessed with having "fulltime" mids?

A: because we have a woeful amount of good ones that play every week compared to the good teams in the comp

Good point, forgot about him.

It's not pedantic- because it's central to my whole point.

We need more fulltime midfielders- good ones. (Better than seb ross)

Why?
Because we currently only have a horrible grand total of 2.

Every top 8 team I'd wager (without checking) would have easily more than 2 fulltime mids better than seb ross.

Circling back to your original point- why are we obsessed with having "fulltime" mids?

A: because we have a woeful amount of good ones that play every week compared to the good teams in the comp
And the Melbourne comparison? They have Oliver and Petracca (easily argue hes not fulltime) then Viney behind.

We dont need more quantity we need more quality.

No one on our part time list is going to become one of those guys.

They shouldnt be copping any. Article i read this morning was basically insinuating GWS were heartless for not trading on compassionate grounds.

Same as Dunkley last year (he doesnt want to play ruck let him go) and Daniher a few years ago.

They stick the boots in anyway.
A few years back David King was saying how we need to get the "Deal Done " on Hill, now we have traded out all our good draft picks.

Agree on Sinclair. Paton comes back in Sinclair in the mid rotation.

Paton Howard Webster

Coffield Battle Highmore
We've tried Sinclair in the middle. He's average at best.

He's been thrown around his whole career and has finally cemented a spot.

2nd in the best and fairest. He was the closest thing we had to an elite player this season behind Steele.

Leave him there. We've got enough options in the middle.

He is a bit of a tosser. But he is right. Clarke has so much talent. He needs to have a massive pre season to realise that potential, same with coff. As for billings, this is it. If he is gonna be a gun it’s now or never
But saying Byrnes is in front of Coff is tugging it a bit too much

Goddard really is a fkuc stick

To be fair, Dal Santo agreed with him and was also going to suggest Coffield before Goddard got the chance. They do need to lift, its obviously the next step in their development to becoming high quality AFL players - talking about Clark and Coffield specifically.

Billings just needs to have a brilliant pre-season and make himself relevant again, it’s now or never. Oh and he needs to not fall away half way through the season (gets a pass this year due to injury).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone kindly explain our draft pick position and how it translates to getting the two NGA boys? I know there is points at each pick and so on, but at face value it doesn’t look like we have much to work with points-wise?

I don't understand the obsession with not having enough midfielders.

Reckon we do have enough mids, just not enough really bloody good ones or the bloody good ones we have spend too much time on the sidelines.

A full season out of Gresh, Jonesy and (gulp) Hanners totally transforms what we served up this year. Captain Obvious to say we need the next gen mids to stand up and make their mark next season.

The talent is there... the big question marks are whether the fitness and commitment are.

And the Melbourne comparison? They have Oliver and Petracca (easily argue hes not fulltime) then Viney behind.

We dont need more quantity we need more quality.

No one on our part time list is going to become one of those guys.

this. our issue isn't depth or numbers or role players.

we need out and out stars, who play consistent top level football, thats damaging.

steele is our best option, he's ageing and he can be inconsistent a bit. he needs a friend in there.

until we start finding elite mids in the draft, we are going no where.

How many do you want?

Melbourne who just won a flag have 3 arguably 2 then a bunch of dudes who can fill a stack of positions including part time mids.

2 of them are elite top 5 players in the comp though. If you don't have a couple of guns you need a spread of them.

Reckon we do have enough mids, just not enough really bloody good ones or the bloody good ones we have spend too much time on the sidelines.

A full season out of Gresh, Jonesy and (gulp) Hanners totally transforms what we served up this year. Captain Obvious to say we need the next gen mids to stand up and make their mark next season.

The talent is there... the big question marks are whether the fitness and commitment are.

True. None are elite except maybe Steele and he's step down from the champion types. Jones is a point of difference with his pace but injury and consistency have always plagued him. Crouch probably is consistency off a being a gun, Gresham is still building and injury prone and Hanners would have been put down if he was a horse. I think Gresham and Clark are the growth players who could step up but there are lots of what ifs.

i agree with a fair bit of this, however, i think Joey and King neglect to recognise the circumstances of why things happened and the cost.
1) we were down the bottom of the ladder and hadn't played finals in very close to a decade... of course they're going to try and find ready made players to boost that list,
2) the real issue here isn't what lethers and ratts have done. the big **** off problem we had is waiting so frigging long to pull the trigger on richo/trout etc. we spent so many years just being patient with very little results,
3) sure we paid up big on hill, but crouch came for free!!!! that's exactly what we should be doing, grabbing guys via free agency to help support the kids coming through.

YES Steeles age is a concern, but FMD, it's not just about Steele, we need to be finding elite midfielders in the draft. Steele is really irrelevant in that discussion. if we can't do that now, we are cooked, regardless of if Steele is 23 or 27 or 30.

having said that i don't think we can sit around for 3 years waiting for who we select to come good. i think we are going to need to make an early call. we need someone who's going to show early signs like oliver did or say a cripps or walsh or rowell or smith. if we don't see that we are just going to waste another couple of years waiting to pull the trigger on another head recruiter and list manager. this is a top 10 pick, its a very good pick, if we don't see decent signs in 2022 from that player, i think we are in strife. in other words if the early signs we see are similar to say what clark and coffield showed in their first year then i think we are in for some strife.

we need to speed things up and fast!

He is but hard to argue with that.

If you had to nominate 3 blokes who could seriously influence how far we go in the years to come by fulfilling their talent then JB, Hunts & Coff would be amongst the most common responses.

There is something particularly hard to swallow with the players with talent that don't take it to the next level. I know it's just probably not in their nature but to have so many top picks that didn't make the step up is hard to fathom.

Coff and Clark are probably at that step up or stall stage of their careers. If they just dribble along that's likely their level. They are looking more James Aish that Dustin Martin right now.

Billings is the model for any player who wants to piss away their careers as a well paid footballer who coasts and still gets accolades for achieving very little. I hope it finally clicks for him this coming season. He'll look back on what could have been one day and wish he'd put in another 25% if he doesn't.

Gresham too, he's mid career now and still hasn't strung much together, promise turns to disappointment pretty quickly in footy and injury has been an excuse for 2 years but he could be another one in the sights pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back