• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced there are a lot of natural footballers who are not athletic who are available in the draft in the modern game. Without athletic abilities they're not going to get through the junior systems to get discovered in most cases, and probably won't be suitable for the AFL anyway. Obviously you might find the occasional gem but it's going to be rare and not a viable drafting strategy. That said, Pedlar is someone with some good football attributes who seems to lack the fitness/tank side of the game at the moment and he's not doing better than someone like Berry who is less highly skilled but has the physical/athletic side down and is growing in to the rest of his game. Maybe Pedlar comes good with another preseason or two and is a star, maybe not, but Berry seems to be ahead right now.

But even in the Pedlar case he's obviously still athletic, just doesn't have an AFL level tank. Basically I think this is something which sounds good but doesn't really exist, unless you can point to some natural footballers who just needed to be conditioned that we've passed over in the draft and some other, wiser club picked up. We've had plenty of draft misses but they don't look like that to me.
What i was meaning is that first and foremost we should be prioritising kicking skills and composure with the ball. No doubt all kids have an athletic profile but i would not be prioritising guys that can run 30k or that are endurance beasts unless they have the foot skills and composure.

For example, a darren jarman ( extreme example) is always better regardless he didn't have express speed or a huge tank

It we are up for drafting just in terms of a game breaker with real weapons

1. Sheezel
2. Phillipou
3. Tsatas
4. Hewett

^ Are the obvious in order of preference for me

McKenzie and Jye Clarke are also both potential great mids but likely be more the consistent types and overall I have then higher than Hewett as he’s a bit risky ( big gap between good and bad )
Can you imagine Sheezel and Rachelle in our forward line?

Wouldn't mind a game breaker like Zac Bailey.

If they can play football well like Soligo we won't care, its when they play like Gallucci, Jones and McHenry we'd get upset. Or a tall like McAsey.
Not really true though, there were complaints on draft night when picked Soligo and Taylor

Not really true though, there were complaints on draft night when picked Soligo and Taylor

But that was in the context of already picking McHenry Jones Rowe Parnell in the prior two years. All around 176-180. Even Rachele at 180 earlier in the same draft. That’s lots of 180cm in a very short time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Damn - got a feeling Twomey has been talking to clubs who rate Max Michaelanney v highly

Disaster if he got bid on before our 2nd pick

Got a feeling our first pick will be Tsatas v Phillipou . Happy with either

Better than having NGAs/father sons that no one is interested in that early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsatsas or Philipou would be great gets going by Twomeys form guide. I really don't want Port getting Phillipou at pick 8/9 etc.

Sheezel in the same forward line as Rachele would be a dream too, would mean we can get rid of one of Murphy/Rowe/*MChenry too.

Will be very interesting to see who WC pick.

Last edited:
Rabidcrow answered that but the feelings on draft night are irrelevant, how many complaints you hearing now about picking Soligo and Taylor? We just want good players and a proper midfield mix.
Not convinced on Soligo at all. Time will tell.

Interesting to see Keeler not make that 25 list. I wonder where he sits at the moment.
Very interesting ! I think his last 2 champs games cost him a spot

Started brightly against metro then disappeared in poor conditions but then only had 3 possessions against WA

I reckon a club takes a punt on him late teens but fingers crossed he gets past pick 40 ( longshot)

The bits I've seen of him he looked a fair way off honestly. Definitely has some serious athletic ability but his ball use wasn't great in the carnival games. Would be great if we got lucky and he dropped to 41+...
His kicking / ball use is v good , he started champs with multiple goals a couple of times but faded last 2 games

He kicked a 55m set shot goal against WA which was 1 of 3 possessions for the day

He just lacks a bit of competiveness at times and doesn’t stay in the game

His kicking / ball use is v good , he started champs with multiple goals a couple of times but faded last 2 games

He kicked a 55m set shot goal against WA which was 1 of 3 possessions for the day

He just lacks a bit of competiveness at times and doesn’t stay in the game
I think that’s right. I watched him last year in an 18’s game where he was matched up on Max. Competitiveness of both boys was at opposite ends of the scale. I wonder about his fitness too. Combine could be interesting for him

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back