• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we can package next years 1st and are 2024 1st to try get up and take Harley Reid then next year

Unless Harley Reid breaks a leg and falls down the order a bit we are less than zero chance of getting him. He keeps tracking like he is and he will be clear top 3 next year and no one will be trading out their position

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unless Harley Reid breaks a leg and falls down the order a bit we are less than zero chance of getting him. He keeps tracking like he is and he will be clear top 3 next year and no one will be trading out their position

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Moir and Duursma might be more realistic targets

Hopefully both get more time in the midfield next year

Well that begs the question why didn't we do a future 1st at Rankine?

It's 7pm 12/10/2022 in the final minutes of the trading deadline, do you honestly think Gold Coast don't take it for Rankine?

Phillipou fills a need for us, as a big bodied mid, which our list management team have explicitly mentioned we're looking for (along with outside speed and support behind the ball)

We had a pick directly in that range which would have been perfect for him. Sure we have some issues with list numbers but they couldn't possibly be insurmountable.

An opportunity to bring in Rankine AND Phillipou + Keeler/Michalanney, and thus accelerating the rebuild by getting 2 premium players in this year as opposed to going to the draft next.

Something seems off to me.
I just think we rated our future first higher than we rated Phillipou. I don't see anything strange in it.

That being said, I'd still be interested if he slid and we could get him for 23 and a second.

AFL trade analysis: Jon Ralph analyses what Richmond, Geelong dominance means
The fallout of this year’s trade period will be far-reaching and the AFL must act to avoid “irreparable” damage, writes Jon Ralph
The league must have a serious conversation about mandatory three-year deals for first-round picks to stop the inflationary effect that sees them secure $450,000 deals 24 months into their careers.

It won’t stop them leaving but it will stop rebuilding clubs attempting to stockpile first-round picks from having their salary cap smashed.

The fact Gold Coast is worried about the cost of having too many quality top-10 picks should be cause for huge concern.

The AFL needs to crack down on what can only be viewed as draft tampering as potential recruits make clear to sides including GWS if they are drafted they will flee at the first possible chance.
GWS officials Jason McCartney and Adrian Caruso screamed what they had previously whispered on Wednesday - that players outright tell them they won’t play at their clubs.

The AFL, having opened Pandora’s Box, is unlikely to try to close it any time soon.

They will point to a rollicking season and a successful premiership winning the flag for the first time since 2011.

But when its expansion sides recruit with a hand tied behind their back and are ravaged by the year — with a Tasmanian team to endure the same issues in coming seasons — equalisation is clearly a catch-phrase rather than a reality.

Less than zero chance anyone is trading out their future first for anything in this draft.
I agree with this, the reason why we want to get the pick is the reason why they would not let it go.

I am predicting our 1st pick next year will be somewhere between 4-8. So we should still have access to the top end talent anyway, especially if next years draft is as good as people are predicting.

So the SA class doesn't seem to have huge wraps on it, but one thing it seems to have in spades is height.

Scully, Lemmey, Barnett, Keeler, and Bicks' boy Verrall.

Where do we predict this quintet of tall timber falling?

You really have to worry about where the AFL Draft is heading, with it being pretty common knowledge that the non-Victorian clubs are all targeting talent that are either from those states, or Country Victoria.

It will be interesting to see whether any of these players get selected ahead of their perceived draft worth/range by non-Vic clubs.

I remember Reid saying recently that they have the option of bringing in our 2023 1st rounder into this draft, and it was something 'they'd take a look at..'

Has anyone in that Pick 5-15 range even discussed trading out a 1st rounder this year, out of curiosity?

And yes, i know we don't currently have the list spots.

Actually I’m starting to wonder if unless someone we really like is there at 23 we should trade it for picks next year, then trade back for pick 40-ish to draft Verral after a bid comes in for Max.

We desperately need to draft a ruck and 23 might too early snd SSP might be too late.
Don’t mind this idea !

As long as they think they can get his endurance to acceptable level he’s a great natural ruck with talent and leap / speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking him 100% - lock it in

I agree, interesting Rucci, Dillon and Rendell said a few weeks back that we were not committed to him and gone off him a bit. It wasn't that we didn't rate him but he wasn't a priority.

Why those guys don't get much right it's a weird rumour to go with.

My only thought was we think he was going to go too high and we wouldn't have access to him.

I agree, interesting Rucci, Dillon and Rendell said a few weeks back that we were not committed to him and gone off him a bit. It wasn't that we didn't rate him but he wasn't a priority.

My only thought was we think he was going to go too high and we wouldn't have access to him.
Reid when justifying the Rankine pick swaps said we potentially have a father son pick, can't see us not taking him unless a bid comes before our 23 and we want someone else.

(not red) horses mouth. taking him

Last edited:
So the SA class doesn't seem to have huge wraps on it, but one thing it seems to have in spades is height.

Scully, Lemmey, Barnett, Keeler, and Bicks' boy Verrall.

Where do we predict this quintet of tall timber falling?

One thing is probably certain, all things being equal if any team has to chose between a SA kid and another from outsider SA, they will take the other.

One positive of JHF going to Port (and of course Rankine to us).

One thing is probably certain, all things being equal if any team has to chose between a SA kid and another from outsider SA, they will take the other.

One positive of JHF going to Port (and of course Rankine to us).
agree strongly with this - add Dawson in last year and also the overall returning home trend in the AFL inc the ridiculous unlimited Cats situation.

This is especially if a young draftee 'exhibits reluctance' to leave family giving other interstate clubs bad vibes. It happens quite often already - Wingard, Bailey Smith, Dons Perkins - all top 10 draft picks who scared off interstate clubs from drafting them. Need to try and leverage this going forward

To be fair, didn’t Reid imply that too?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back