Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're still better off selecting a genuine A-grade midfielder this year as next year's draft appears to be abundant at the top end with forward/mid/forwards who can change a game on its head, such as Zane Duursma, Ashton Moir, Jack Delean, Koen Sanchez, and Sam Frangalas. Will Lorenz, who is Graham Arthur's grandson, is a midfielder who can play up forward and change the game. There's only one real midfielder at the top end, named Ben Ridgway from South Australia. I'm certainly not against us drafting Bailey Humphrey, and I love his game, but I feel this is the year we need to draft an A-grade midfielder. Humphrey's foot skills also need improvement and are certainly not up to the level of Connor MacDonald and Josh Ward.
If I’m honest - based on the class of Ward, MacDonald, and Butler - I think Mitchell is after those more elite kicks and so I would be surprised if we took Humphrey.

But also re. next year - isn’t Harley Reid a kind of Jack of all trades/Hodge clone? I.e. my understanding was he could (and does) play everywhere.

My hope is still that we somehow land pick 7 and are able to swap it with a future first from someone we predict will finish low next year (I.e. Adelaide, GWS, North) so we can have 2 x top-end picks in a strong draft 😍

How much mid has Sheezel played?
Number 1 priority has to be an elite clearance winning mid.
Sheezel has primarily played as a forward, but I understand that he had a few games through the mid - in Rounds 9-10 this year, I know he notched up 37 and 33 touches, so he can clearly find the footy when he goes into the midfield. That said, I think his contested work is not up there with the top group so I imagine we won't go for him if that's what we're set on.

I'm just a big fan of his footy IQ though - having players knowing what to do and when to do it gives them an edge.

If I’m honest - based on the class of Ward, MacDonald, and Butler - I think Mitchell is after those more elite kicks and so I would be surprised if we took Humphrey.

But also re. next year - isn’t Harley Reid a kind of Jack of all trades/Hodge clone? I.e. my understanding was he could (and does) play everywhere.

My hope is still that we somehow land pick 7 and are able to swap it with a future first from someone we predict will finish low next year (I.e. Adelaide, GWS, North) so we can have 2 x top-end picks in a strong draft 😍

Sheezel has primarily played as a forward, but I understand that he had a few games through the mid - in Rounds 9-10 this year, I know he notched up 37 and 33 touches, so he can clearly find the footy when he goes into the midfield. That said, I think his contested work is not up there with the top group so I imagine we won't go for him if that's what we're set on.

I'm just a big fan of his footy IQ though - having players knowing what to do and when to do it gives them an edge.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Ward was always a class kick around the ground, but CMac and Butler both had to work on their kicking before making it into the side.

Sam Butler Player Profile
Connor MacDonald Player Profile

Neither were the level of Humphrey, but looking at his form there's nothing unfixable. On set shots he sways a way too much and seems a tad rigid, his field kicking is better but he still drops it a little too high. These are things we can work on, and the improvement of CMac in particular is incredibly promising. It might take more than one or two preseasons, but the scope for him to become a Petracca-type player is something I'm sure we're excited about. If our boys take him on draft night, I'm confident we'll have a plan in place.

Still want Mackenzie or Clark first.

On a side note, I really want to see CMac become a centre-bounce mainstay. Reminds me a bit of Chad Warner, especially with a bit of muscle development. Could sneakily become our next Brownlow-level midfielder over the next three or four years. You heard it here first.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Ward was always a class kick around the ground, but CMac and Butler both had to work on their kicking before making it into the side.

Neither were the level of Humphrey, but looking at his form there's nothing unfixable. On set shots he sways a way too much and seems a tad rigid, his field kicking is better but he still drops it a little too high. These are things we can work on, and the improvement of CMac in particular is incredibly promising. It might take more than one or two preseasons, but the scope for him to become a Petracca-type player is something I'm sure we're excited about. If our boys take him on draft night, I'm confident we'll have a plan in place.

On a side note, I really want to see CMac become a centre-bounce mainstay. Reminds me a bit of Chad Warner, especially with a bit of muscle development. Could sneakily become our next Brownlow-level midfielder over the next three or four years. You heard it here first.
Agree. I think Cmac could be our best player in a few years. He has it.

TDS7 - how do you rate ginbey’s kicking vs Humphrey?

And good point around kicking - neither mcd or butler were considered good kicks (and Ward clean but question on impact). So wouldn’t be just writing off poorer kicks.
I know we met with Lewis Hayes earlier in the week. We need another defender 🤦‍♂️
Another skinny kpp sounds just what we need…

Last edited:

And good point around kicking - neither mcd or butler were considered good kicks (and Ward clean but question on impact). So wouldn’t be just writing off poorer kicks.

Played really well in the final.
Replacement for DGB? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know we met with Lewis Hayes earlier in the week. We need another defender 🤦‍♂️

Due diligence. His draft range is currently 10-20 and we are no where near that. I assume he could factor in if he was to slip to our second selection.

I really rate him but there is a 0.01% chance he's in brown and gold next season IMO.

Due diligence. His draft range is currently 10-20 and we are no where near that. I assume he could factor in if he was to slip to our second selection.

I really rate him but there is a 0.01% chance he's in brown and gold next season IMO.
Or the rumoured pies trade to upgrade to 16 is around the mark.

I think we’ve also seen players slide (eg butler in draft and arguably Ramsden in MSD) so would be doing at least some decent d.d. on all of the top 25 etc to be prepared. And add to this live trading on the night.

Sheezel would give me the same feeling that D Jarman used to give me. I want my wet dreams back.

Copied and pasted from the Draft board…

"I probably would prefer to stay here in Melbourne with my family because we’re so close”

Harry Sheezel telling the world he's a flight risk.

If North don't pick him the next Vic clubs are Essendon (pick 4), Hawthorn (6) and StKilda (9).

When u look at our best 22 threads for 23 the one thing that stants out is our KP stocks.

I haven't had as much vision on Gunbey as Humphrey, but from what I've seen he's a better kick. It's a different sort of scenario for each though. Pretty much all of Ginbey's possessions are contested, long kicks through contact or short sharp hand passes to a runner. Those handballs are superb, but his kicking is less pinpoint hit-up and more "just kick it 50 meters forward". When he has space or he has a short 45 inboard he goes alright, higher ball drop than you'd like but that's a symptom of his tendency to grab the ball in a pack and shoot his arms up to get his hands free. Motion is steady, find his boot well and seems to have a good feel for tricky kicks.

As I've said, Humphrey's kicking form comes down to the terrible ball drop. I honestly wonder how long he's been playing footy, if he's an athlete first and picked up footy 4 or 5 years a go it makes sense. For set shots, he holds the ball too high, let's his shoulders slack and thus sway with his stride, and keeps his arms locked and tense. Field kicking is better, but he doesn't kick with urgency or punch, just typical lofty field kicks. Keep in mind, everything I've said is very fixable. AFL clubs are professional institutions, he'll have a skills coach working with him day one to correct 95% of his issues. I come back to Chad Warner, who was a rather blunt kick of the footy before he started training his game and added a decent amount of finesse to his disposal. It's all about putting the 1000 hours in and training the right way. Remember, we're drafting for 2026, not 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For KPD i think its a race to see who can land Ethan Phillips first. He's the best genuine KPD in the draft...albeit rookie draft.

I've gotta agree again.

Everything, i still prefer MacKenzie because he is genuinely scary with his ability to attract everyone close to him, feed off a handball, exploding through, or finding a chest, because his kicking is genuinely unreal, Pendlebury and Mundy vibes.

CMac could def become that Warner type, bit of muscle development and he's got that explosive, classy, and footy smarts.

Obviously we need some quantity and quality, Worpel still a wait and see, but Newcombe could be a genuine MID-FWD and as you said the next brownlow level midfielder, get him running out games and oh my.

Ward is the one who always goes under everyone, like he has unreal hands, quick, clean, direct and his kicking is top notch, he perfectly weights kicks, he pushes forward and back with his tank which is unreal and he has pretty good pace, our midfield is shaping up really nicely.

Is it draft tampering if Sheez says to Essendon “f**k off campaigners, I want Hawthorn”?
Given recent ridiculous changes to the definition of words, would a player telling Essendon they don’t want to join fit the new definition of being “anti-vax”?

Attachments

• 5110F9B8-E5F6-4D21-9191-5A8457C7650C.jpeg
    5110F9B8-E5F6-4D21-9191-5A8457C7650C.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 76
Is it draft tampering if Sheez says to Essendon “f**k off campaigners, I want Hawthorn”?
Is it draft tampering if you are just being honest ?

I can’t understand why anyone could ever want to step foot inside their premises

Just had a quick look on the essendon draft page and most of them seem very set on Humphrey, one of them even claimed he should be going pick 1. Obviously they don't know what the Essendon recruiters think but I'm still Starting to think there's a really big chance Sheezel falls to us.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just had a quick look on the essendon draft page and most of them seem very set on Humphrey, one of them even claimed he should be going pick 1. Obviously they don't know what the Essendon recruiters think but I'm still Starting to think there's a really big chance Sheezel falls to us.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
God I hope so, Humphreys can not kick, they can have him.

Essendon supporters are absolutely obsessed about big bodied mids, they think it’s been the missing key since jab Watson finished up. But dodoro has a penchant for outside flankers so it’ll be interesting to see if he buckles to the supporter bases wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back