Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Tsatas 187cm speed that can breaks lines & has composure
2. Phillipou 190cm overhead marking and ability to hit the scoreboard
3. Humphrey 186cm Nice contested mark penetrating kick
-------------------------
Im certain people only want Clark to annoy Geelong supporters, guys dont let these guys live in your heads rent free if all these 3 are off the table then look at Clark

Im certain people only want Clark to annoy Geelong supporters, guys dont let these guys live in your heads rent free if all these 3 are off the table then look at Clark
Feels like you know nothing about Clark and have read none of the comments if that's the case. Not a stretch to think it's a good idea for the worst clearance and contested ball team in the comp to draft the best clearance and contested ball player available to them.

Yes key position. There'll be at least one of those in a re-ordered draft
Lemmey had a draft year that did not live up to expectations. But he is tall (199cm), agile and his kicking is quality. For mine his potential is high. I’d love it if we got him with a later pick.
Same goes for Van Es. (Actually, more so Van Es) If we had not have taken Blank in the MSD (who looks like a quality stopper tall defender) I would have wanted Van Es with our 2nd pick (though now Charlie Clarke is my preferred 2nd pick). That said, Van Es would ensure our backline has depth in the same way Petty provided depth for Melbourne = dominated at VFL level… nearly single handedly changed a VFL GF against the Box Hill Hawks… and then seamlessly stepped in after Tomlinson went down to help the Demons win a GF. Van Es is a yes from me.

I’d be very happy if we could get either Lemmey or Van Es with our 3rd pick.

IMO next year’s draft is the time to go after the power mid.

This draft, for me, is about getting quality people that are skilled, work for their teammates, and will help build the right culture for future success.

Post Clarko to current Mitchell is a real change. Defensive footy vs attacking… we needed a new approach.

I will not be disappointed with any decision made on ND night. We cannot lose as all prospects are good and we will not know if they are a bust for years (even Hodge took time). Whatever happens, it will be fun to see how it goes.

2023 is the time to go after a power mid. We will win too many games to get Ried. Some other team will stuff him up and not develop him… We will look to the next best… and help make him as good as he can be behind our talent.

The rebuild started last year but was kicked into full throttle once this years trade period was done.

Wardlaw is the player we needed but we cannot have him.

Fatten out our quality across the field and see what is available next year… remembering that many of the best players in the last 10 years came from outside the top 10.

Last edited:

Nah, that's definitely the catalyst for the 'we have to take Munkara before pick 40' obsession though.

Watching MacKenzie highlights again. I’m back in love. Oozes class
I get the feeling that if Tsatas is still on the board come our first, we'll have a few clubs come knocking.
If we're keen on MacKenzie I can see us moving back to the Saints pick or as far back as Melbourne's (if the aforementioned spicy deal is on offer)

I'd imagine Geelong (Clark), Carlton (Busslinger) and WCE (Ginbey) would be pretty locked in and Carlton have put a lot of work into Hollands, whilst Doggies have had a big squiz at Allen.

I might be smoking crack but I can see the draft night going:

Cadman gws
Ashcroft bl
Sheezal nm
Wardlaw nm
Philipou es
Humphrey gc
Tsatas Melb
Clark Geel
Ginbey WCE
Hewitt/MacKenzie stk
Hollands carl
Allen WB
Hewitt/MacKenzie haw

This would potentially net us that class/brute force through the middle and set us up for 2023

OR

Cadman gws
Ashcroft bl
Sheezal nm
Wardlaw nm
Philipou es
Humphrey gc
Tsatas stk
Clark geel
Ginbey wce
MacKenzie haw

and we gain an extra second/third this year/next

I NEED DRAFT NIGHT TO END

Morning lads,

Have we settled on who we think will be drafted with our first pick?

What if North do a knightmare and select Casey Voss with one of their early selections? lol

Highly unlikely, but it would definitely be hilarious

Must have changed very recently because he was ripped in the video chronicling his debut for Geelong this season.
Kid can't break into the Premiers midfield. Must be drunk......

It's perfectly reasonable to wonder why a midfielder who has such undeniable offensive output (probably second only to Ashcroft) is going to slide as far down as Pick 7 or 8. Even more so that the slide is becoming obvious after the interview process has started.

We know that his weakness is defense, and typically the defensive side of a player is influenced more by mindset than it is by anything physical. If it is a physical thing you can normally see the intent at least, they just can't complete the tackle or aren't quick enough to apply pressure, but with Tsatas the intent is the issue. From the footage I've watched he seems to actively avoid pressuring players and tackling fairly often.

It's not quite so simple to just "teach him how to defend" if the intent is the issue, and maybe there's a theme in his interviews that reinforce that he might not be open to being taught. Sam delisting Downie has shown one thing, he values a player who will go when it's their turn.
If you were to explain Tsatas in basketball way he is the guy that always cherry picks plays. By this I mean he is always the guy that gets the ball out on a fast break to score. I think this mindset probably comes about from him likely playing as a winger the majority of his football. Brad Hill was the same way but his lack of defensive output was more so due to him being 70kg when dripping wet. Anyways I'm of the belief that Tsatas will be gone by the time we pick so we won't have to worry about him but if by chance we do then I wouldn't be surprised if we have a plan B in place to trade down to select someone else if we feel we can still get our guy and an extra asset. A trade with St.Kilda (pick 10) is the one to watch but if they really want Tsatas then I'd be bending them over for a max deal. I'm thinking pick 7 + WB 2nd rounder for pick 10 + F1 or GTFO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching some highlights for the 100th time and I really like where we’re picking. We’re going to get either a high quality ready made type in Mackenzie / Clark or a game breaker in Tsatas / Phillipou.

I think the Suns take Humphrey but I would love him as a real point of difference (I’m not concerned about his kicking) Goal kicking can be fixed and his field kicking isn’t bad at all.

Watching some highlights for the 100th time and I really like where we’re picking. We’re going to get either a high quality ready made type in Mackenzie / Clark or a game breaker in Tsatas / Phillipou.

I think the Suns take Humphrey but I would love him as a real point of difference (I’m not concerned about his kicking) Goal kicking can be fixed and his field kicking isn’t bad at all.

Spot on, I agree its a win / win if we take pick 6. I think arguably Mackenzie has the best highlights of the lot. Both players come with proven abilities.

The game breakers are more high risk high reward. Phillipou reminds me of a mix of a Rozee / J.Kelly type of player.
They will be hard to resist if available but come with some risk attached.

Lemmey had a draft year that did not live up to expectations. But he is tall (199cm), agile and his kicking is quality. For mine his potential is high. I’d love it if we got him with a later pick.
Same goes for Van Es. (Actually, more so Van Es) If we had not have taken Blank in the MSD (who looks like a quality stopper tall defender) I would have wanted Van Es with our 2nd pick (though now Charlie Clarke is my preferred 2nd pick). That said, Van Es would ensure our backline has depth in the same way Petty provided depth for Melbourne = dominated at VFL level… nearly single handedly changed a VFL GF against the Box Hill Hawks… and then seamlessly stepped in after Tomlinson went down to help the Demons win a GF. Van Es is a yes from me.

I’d be very happy if we could get either Lemmey or Van Es with our 3rd pick.

IMO next year’s draft is the time to go after the power mid.

This draft, for me, is about getting quality people that are skilled, work for their teammates, and will help build the right culture for future success.

Post Clarko to current Mitchell is a real change. Defensive footy vs attacking… we needed a new approach.

I will not be disappointed with any decision made on ND night. We cannot lose as all prospects are good and we will not know if they are a bust for years (even Hodge took time). Whatever happens, it will be fun to see how it goes.

2023 is the time to go after a power mid. We will win too many games to get Ried. Some other team will stuff him up and not develop him… We will look to the next best… and help make him as good as he can be behind our talent.

The rebuild started last year but was kicked into full throttle once this years trade period was done.

Wardlaw is the player we needEd but we cannot have him.

Fatten out our quality and see what is available next year… remembering that many of the best players in the last 10 years came from outside the top 10.
I do agree with your post but are there many powerful mids at the top end next year? I don't know many players apart from harley, who we are a low chance of getting, and Watson, Curtin, duursma, moir and the other reid. Duursma possibly could be a powerful mid from what I've heard but are there any other players that fit that description who could be suitable for our pick next year?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I do agree with your post but are there many powerful mids at the top end next year? I don't know many players apart from harley, who we are a low chance of getting, and Watson, Curtin, duursma, moir and the other reid. Duursma possibly could be a powerful mid from what I've heard but are there any other players that fit that description who could be suitable for our pick next year?

Moir looks unreal from the limited footage I've seen. Would be a great CHF prospect for the long term to partner with Lewis, has a 60m cannon off both feet.

A bit off topic but I can see us making a hard play for pick 1 next year regardless of where we finish.

Moir looks unreal from the limited footage I've seen. Would be a great CHF prospect for the long term to partner with Lewis, has a 60m cannon off both feet.

A bit off topic but I can see us making a hard play for pick 1 next year regardless of where we finish.
If Reid continues on the same trajectory, you'd have to think pick 1 would be untouchable, unless someone has an incredible year and rivals reid for the top spot. There's some crazy talent next year so it's definetly possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back