List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t believe you seriously think this?
The situation has changed enormously - Has it really? We haven’t played finals in about 7 years. Let’s not go all Carlton fan mode here. Every time there was a hint of expectation or pressure around the side last year we absolutely sh*t ourselves and lost comprehensively - our first prime time game in about 6 years last season against Geelong and it was over midway though the second quarter and we had to endure the ignominy of opposition fans saying “WTF are the AFL putting these jokers on a Friday night for?”
We lost by 60 points to the saints in our last proper match. We gifted Carlton the softest 8 premiership points they won all season last year.
Oscar Allen would quite frankly be a top 2 or 3 pick at the lowest if you were to do a redraft of 2017. Only Naughton and Brayshaw would have legitimate claims to be selected ahead of him in retrospect yet he wouldn’t make our 22? You can’t be serious, he would be picked ahead of Lobb and Treacy by every coach in the league. And I’m a huge fan of Treacy for what it’s worth (less so Lobb..).
I’m a big fan of our list and quite bullish on our prospects for 2022 but I would swap 8 or 9 of our players for eagles players in the morning if I hypothetically could.
You sound like one of those Dees fans over on the main board after the grand final when they were claiming that no Carlton or North player would make their 22.

Okay.

Interesting tidbit, I had it in my head that there is minimal difference between picks 1-3 historically, but, going back to 2000, it seems like there is still a noticeable difference in players drafted between 1, 2 and 3.

You might disagree with some of my rankings but I think they are all pretty close, I tried to not rate for output of the pick, but just in general and best player refers to best of the top 3 picks (I cant definitively split 2016 as it stands).

Alternatively, I would say you are far better off trading for pick 2 or 3 if you were so inclined, than pick 1 given the cost normally associated with it.

1646189980520.png

Interesting tidbit, I had it in my head that there is minimal difference between picks 1-3 historically, but, going back to 2000, it seems like there is still a noticeable difference in players drafted between 1, 2 and 3.

You might disagree with some of my rankings but I think they are all pretty close, I tried to not rate for output of the pick, but just in general and best player refers to best of the top 3 picks (I cant definitively split 2016 as it stands).

Alternatively, I would say you are far better off trading for pick 2 or 3 if you were so inclined, than pick 1 given the cost normally associated with it.

View attachment 1336771
Am I the only one who took about 10 seconds to work out who D.Martin was?
**** I’m dumb.

View attachment 1336771
Unfortunately 2017 looks weak…

Great post btw appreciate the effort

View attachment 1336771

Snuff

I’m looking at that and see Sylvia, Ellis, Masten and think role players, not good/elite.

But it is a good way of looking at historically the top 3 picks…

Great list Snuff
Gotta be honest and objective here, Nic Nat is a generational talent
And I've said it before and I'll say it again, the eagles owe two flags to whichever St Kilda idiot chose Ball over Judd

Great list Snuff
And I've said it before and I'll say it again, the eagles owe two flags to whichever St Kilda idiot chose Ball over Judd

Luck of the draw...Ball develops OP and Judd's dodgy shoulders hold up

Snuff

I’m looking at that and see Sylvia, Ellis, Masten and think role players, not good/elite.

You know, I had in my head they all played 200 games but only Masten did. Ellis in particular surprises me. Yes, Sylvia and Ellis should be orange but I think 200 games is a pretty good feat to at least be a good player

Might have missed the convo in this thread but I'm assuming the purpose of the table is to show that if you are drafted by Carlton then you are almost certainly never going to be a generational talent?
Ha ha
Walsh might come close

Snuff

Changing at least Sylvia and Ellis to failures actually makes pick 3 real interesting. That's A LOT of busts for such a high pick. The pick just happens to be saved by luckily having two absolute generational talents taken at the pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great list Snuff
I'm not prepared to list him in the same category as Judd/Martin/Riewoldt/Petracca. I think he goes down in the same category as Roughead, Goddard and likely J Kelly as elite players but not like the names of the other 4

Unfortunate for the two other clubs that missed Brayshaw, we're perfectly happy with 2017 haha

Very happy with Brayshaw! He is going to continue to improve. I do think Naughton was a miss. We got under value for Cerra, who will become an A grade talent.

It does show that we should chase 2 & 3 and if we had pick one I would be happy to trade for either 2 or 3 and another in the top 6. Which I think some clubs would do.

No way is Nic Nat a generational player.
On that list probably only Martin has single handed killed as many oppositions in individual games as NN has. Hodge and Riewoldt for example were great players but how many games can you remember them doing that?
He has his obvious flaws as a player but he is a generational talent in my opinion.

Freo supporters would be the only ones who think this
Say what you want about Hill but has NicNat ever come off the bench to collect a tap from Sandilands only to run down the wings of Kardinia Park, eventually kicking the goal to send Freo to their first home preliminary final in their history?

Interesting post Snuffaluphagus. One point I’d make is that Martin is probably the best player on the list overall, but if you’d done it in 2015, six year after he was drafted, he’d be doing well to scrape into the good-elite player bracket.
2017 is looking like a moderate draft overall, I don’t see any generational talents in that pool but in a redraft probably only Naughton goes ahead of AB. Maybe Allan. Cerra about right with pick 5 though some would argue Bailey is in the mix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back