List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post Snuffaluphagus. One point I’d make is that Martin is probably the best player on the list overall, but if you’d done it in 2015, six year after he was drafted, he’d be doing well to scrape into the good-elite player bracket.
2017 is looking like a moderate draft overall, I don’t see any generational talents in that pool but in a redraft probably only Naughton goes ahead of AB. Maybe Allan. Cerra about right with pick 5 though some would argue Bailey is in the mix too.
Allan ahead of Brayshaw? You're kidding.

Allan ahead of Brayshaw? You're kidding.
There’s plenty who would as the premium on a good key position forward pushes Allen up the rankings. Including at least three afl Clubs who reportedly were ready to offer him $850k a few months back:

At least three rivals were believed to have tabled long-term offers for Allen earlier this season understood to be worth up to $850,000 per year.

Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy said earlier this month Allen was worth $1.2 million per season”

Myself I’d probably still take Brayshaw, but I would accept it’s easier to find a player like Brayshaw than Oscar Allen. Elite KPF are hard to find as we know very well. Plenty of similar types to Brayshaw thoughout the league, notwithstanding the fact that he’s a very very good player.
Put it this way - Brayshaw career could look quite similar to Trent Cotchin. Allen is tracking to have a career as impactful as say - the likes of Jack Riewoldt. Who would you rather in your team? Both A graders and you’d be happy with either to be honest.

There’s plenty who would as the premium on a good key position forward pushes Allen up the rankings. Including at least three afl Clubs who reportedly were ready to offer him $850k a few months back:

At least three rivals were believed to have tabled long-term offers for Allen earlier this season understood to be worth up to $850,000 per year.

Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy said earlier this month Allen was worth $1.2 million per season”

Myself I’d probably still take Brayshaw, but I would accept it’s easier to find a player like Brayshaw than Oscar Allen. Elite KPF are hard to find as we know very well. Plenty of similar types to Brayshaw thoughout the league, notwithstanding the fact that he’s a very very good player.
Put it this way - Brayshaw career could look quite similar to Trent Cotchin. Allen is tracking to have a career as impactful as say - the likes of Jack Riewoldt. Who would you rather in your team? Both A graders and you’d be happy with either to be honest.
Allan hasn't proving to be anywhere near elite. It's all media blow up. Well done you on lapping that all up.

Allen was the standout out player in his draft year, but undersized for a KPP…. Gets drafted and grows another 3-4cm … bingo good size now!.

Same player just taller.

Allan has excelled as the 3rd / 4th tall. Played back with Barrass and McGovern and 2nd ruck behind NN. As the support ages and declines, let’s see how he performs. I’m also not convinced at all. He’s slow, doesn’t have a big leap, and isn’t a powerful unit.

Allen is averaging 1.3 goals per game, and also playing ruck, defence.
So that could be higher, or on par as the 3rd tall?
That will change if he becomes the 1st or 2nd tall forward and the type of delivery.
He’s looked good so far in 50 odd games.
Treacy has shown plenty and in a disjointed forward line.
This year we will see more of his trajectory, but he is already close to 1 goal per
Game.
Re-do the draft and both clubs got bargains, and fans from each club would be excited.

It's true Allen's best year he scored just over a goal a game (28 goals in 21 games), albeit he had to play defence a bit. That as the 3rd tall with Kennedy and Darling taking the 2 best defenders.

That is not worth 850k-1.2 million.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, back in reality...

...who are we going to add to our list. If we go a big man, who would we prefer between Schlensog or Keitel?
They would mainly be cover for Taberner and Lobb. Within the current squad we have a few options probably ahead of either of those two;
  • either Chapman or Cox used forward.
  • using Sturt, Mundy/Fyfe/Brodie or Erasmus as a medium tall rather than going for 3 talls.
  • playing Meek.
  • debut Amiss.

My only point is it isn't urgent, and it is an option we can take later in the year.

Meanwhile, back in reality...

...who are we going to add to our list. If we go a big man, who would we prefer between Schlensog or Keitel?

Schlensog is the much better bet out of those two or even the young fella from Peel, but I agree with others; don't take any at this point.

Can Swans keep Logan away from lure of WA?

Sydney is willing to give forward prodigy Logan McDonald a four-year extension as it plans for life after superstar Lance Franklin.

News Corp reported in February that McDonald was the sole top-six pick from the 2020 AFL draft yet to re-sign beyond his automatic two-year rookie contract.

The No.7 selection that year, Gold Coast’s Elijah Hollands, has since also inked a two-year deal, meaning McDonald and Essendon trio Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zach Reid are the only top-10 picks still to recommit.

Adelaide key forward Riley Thilthorpe (pick two) and sweet-kicking Swan Braeden Campbell (five) agreed to new contracts until the end of the 2025 season but McDonald’s offer trumps them both.

Sydney’s bold bid to retain the West Australian even took McDonald’s agent, Ben Williams, of Players Ink, by surprise, as seen in Stan’s new documentary, Show Me The Money, released on March 10.

But McDonald, who kicked nine goals in seven games in his debut season, and Williams appear underwhelmed at the potential remuneration in an off-season discussion that includes McDonald’s father, Darren.

Williams described the proposal as “probably not what we were expecting”, which McDonald, 19, agreed with then followed up with: “I don’t think it’s a bad offer.”

“The Swans are very keen to extend Logan,” Williams said.

“It’s quite unusual to get a four-year offer as your first extension, but we believe we know where he’s going to get to and it’s my job to make sure that he’s locked in for the right price for that.

“It’s really good in the sense you’ve got some security should you take it, but you’ve got to figure out how much better you’re going to get, because you don’t necessarily want to be locked in for four years if you’re going to do this.

“Because if he signs a deal, then he outperforms that contract by a lot, that’s my worst nightmare.”

The Crows’ bid on Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at No.1 in McDonald’s draft class before nabbing local product Thilthorpe.

But they did contemplate picking McDonald, with at least part of their decision to overlook him believed to be because there was some fear he would return to WA at some point.

“We’ll keep talking to the Swans and being a gun key forward – they don’t come around too often – they’re always in demand,” Williams said.

“The two clubs in WA need that sort of player as well, so Logan will always have the option to go home should he choose to.”

Williams believes McDonald is in “a great spot”, given Franklin just turned 35 and is entering the final season of his nine-year megadeal.

But a fascinating conversation followed between player and agent, starting with Williams asking the No.4 draft pick how many games he expected to play in 2022.

McDonald: “Hopefully 20, but I think my position in the team’s a tricky one because I don’t ruck and ‘Bud’ (Franklin)’s there.”

Williams: “No, you’re in a good position there, Loges. You’re happy there?”

McDonald: “Yeah, I’m happy. Very happy.”

Williams: “We’re planning on you being the No.1 (forward) but does that happen next year or does it happen the year after?”

(Originally published as AFL: Sydney Swans table four-year offer to forward prodigy Logan McDonald as he weighs up future)

Sounds like Logan is being offered a fair bit less than his offers to come home. What a surprise.
How much is he being offered at home or is this speculation? If Lobb leaves idk if we have room for Tabs, Treacy, Amiss and Logan.

How much is he being offered at home or is this speculation? If Lobb leaves idk if we have room for Tabs, Treacy, Amiss and Logan.

I'd doubt Logan is the one thats missing in that scenario.

Long term he would be option #1 in that group.

I'd doubt Logan is the one thats missing in that scenario.

Long term he would be option #1 in that group.
Who would you omitt? Tabs is 28 and has years left ahead of him. Treacy could be anything.

I'd be dropping whoever isn't kicking bags of goals. Let them fight it out for a spot. If we ended up in a position where we have 4 A grade key forwards I'll name all my children either Peter or Justin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back