MRP / Trib. 2022 MRO Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue with this is it looks bad.

From one angle you can see Rioli is legitimately running against the flight and is going to the mark, gets there 1/10th of a second late and just braces himself. From the other angle it looks like he's lined up Rowell.

This is the real problem. Any match review incidents should be carried out from someone at the game not from TV camera angle reviews. It in reality is just a legitimate football relation collision hence why not even a free kick was paid and the umpire was in the perfect position to make the call. Rioli in this instance has the right to brace and protect himself and if he didnt and just charged straight on then both rowell and rioli probably would have left the field with concussions from a straight head knock.

I fully expect the week to stand but it just shows how much the MRP is a complete joke. If the on the field umpires are in perfect position and not even a free kick is paid how should it ever be a suspension. Now if it was 50m off the ball and the ump is looking directly at the contest then fair enough.

Insane. If he pulls out of that he gets called a squib. He managed to contest the ball, get the turnover which turned into a goal.
If this goes because of potential to cause injury, does that mean the speccy is gone? What about spoils that glance the head? Is this now an automatic suspension because any head contact is graded as medium?

It’s another one of those shady “potential to cause injury” that has no guidelines or basis. Every act on a footy field has potential to cause injury, and everyone accepts that when they cross the white line.

They’re suspending him purely off how it looks rather than a bit of common sense as to what actually happened.

For starters it can’t have been high because it would have knocked him out and been 4 weeks. The bloke didn’t even go off the ground.

And theres no way a bloke running back with the flight has right of way. You’re effectively telling Willie to assess that he’s going to be half a second too late and to pull out of the contest.. in the defensive 50.. when he’s the one with a better look at it. **** off

Classic slow mo with multiple angles suspension this one. None of this can be seriously considered at full speed when the ball is a legitimate 50/50

Are we all putting out west coast blinkers on regarding this?

I dont know.

Anecdotal evidence but I was talking about it yesterday morning with a Roos fan at work and mentioned he might get suspended as the media were coming after him, and the response was "No way, it was just good hard football, didn't hurt him and didn't get him high."

Anecdotal evidence but I was talking about it yesterday morning with a Roos fan at work and mentioned he might get suspended as the media were coming after him, and the response was "No way, it was just good hard football, didn't hurt him and didn't get him high."

Yeah this is clearly fictional, no one has ever met a real life Roos supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowell evidence: "Fair play, good hit"

Umpire evidence: I saw no high contact and therefore did not pay a free kick.

Video evidence: No visible contact above the shouders. At worst, inconclusive.

Careless, medium impact, body contact = $1,500 fine.

This will be one of the easier nights for the Eagles' legal eagle.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2022 MRO Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back