Preview 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday July 10 @ 4:40PM - Team Post #655

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't always woe is us.

R1 - Prestia going off in the 3rd was a game changer
R2 - Dogs inaccurate (like us last night)
R5 - Got Port at the worst in the first half, before getting them back into form after half time
R13 - Got Essendon still playing crappy before their mini revival beginning a week later
R15 - Freo after bye, maybe a bit rusty

Swings and roundabouts. We were a bit fortunate to hang on v Dogs, Hawks and Port as well.
Dogs, Hawks and Port game we were ahead enough to warrant a win. Hawks started hot early in the season, Port were up against the wall and have been a different team since half time against us. Freo, Suns and Pies we lose a player in the first qtr (all important players as well). Bombers we play on their 150th. The Saints game is the only one this year that we have cost ourselves the win with inaccurate kicking.

We play Eagles next week who pretty much will only be missing McGovern at this point. It is annoying but it is also great playing teams at full strength. Just wish we would have a full side as well for once.

Cerra was our best mid vs Collingwood and one of our best players. That was the game before he got injured.

Was rusty but he'll be right.
I reckon he's having a good season and has shown his great kicking skill in most games. When he delivers inside 50, it ends up as a mark for us more than most.

When I was 17 I won a footy tipping comp against like 300 people, and I used to always see players back for their first game post injury and never expected much game wise. It was sometimes a negative for a team I was assessing.

How's Brisbane, 2 good players off with hamstring injuries, will both only miss a week, they're blessed up there. And they still won.

Based on Voss making a point of saying "Weitering, Owies, Durdin & Martin" will be available,
means to me there will be some changes...

OUT: Plowman, Newnes, LOB, Honey
IN: Weitering, Stocker, Hayes, Owies

FBNewmanYoungKemp/ Durdin
HBDochertyWeiteringSaad (Woof)
CCottrellCrippsHayes
HFWalshSilvagniOwies
FFMotlopMcKayCurnow
FOLDe KoningCerraHewett
BENCHKennedyStockerFisher (mid)
Durdin
SUBDow

TDK needs a hand and struggles against the big meat head rucks (though did well against the freo one).

Need pittonet back soon.

The saints showed how you can use two good rucks effectively.. I am not sure how the Eagles run theirs at the moment.

Based on Voss making a point of saying "Weitering, Owies, Durdin & Martin" will be available,
means to me there will be some changes...

OUT: Plowman, Newnes, LOB, Honey
IN: Weitering, Stocker, Hayes, Owies

FBNewmanYoungKemp/ Durdin
HBDochertyWeiteringSaad (Woof)
CCottrellCrippsHayes
HFWalshSilvagniOwies
FFMotlopMcKayCurnow
FOLDe KoningCerraHewett
BENCHKennedyStockerFisher (mid)
Durdin
SUBDow
Wouldn’t mind seeing how Hayes goes in seniors.

Easy decision, Honey has kicked 2 behinds in 2 games.

Pressure is nice, but you need to hit the scoreboard too.
He's created some though (Motlop's first, created the spill v 2 Saints for Cottrell's).
Honey might not quite be there yet, but he's got something.

I guess the question is, how are we best off? Getting him more 1s experience, or playing Owies, who is better without the ball, but doesn't have the same ability to create scores like Honey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to give Weitering another week off to make sure he is 100% right. The team below has more balance than against St Kilda. Dow can be explosive on the wing with his pace.

In: S.Durdin, Stocker, Dow, Martin, Owies,
Out: Kemp, Cottrell, O'Brien, Honey, C.Durdin

B: Plowman--------------S.Durdin-------------Newman

H: Docherty---------------Young-----------------Saad

C: Newnes----------------Cripps-----------------Dow

H: Silvagni---------------C.Curnow-------------Martin

F: Motlop------------------McKay----------------Owies

Foll: De Koning, Kennedy, Walsh

Bench: Stocker, Hewett, Cerra, Fisher

We need to give Weitering another week off to make sure he is 100% right. The team below has more balance than against St Kilda. Dow can be explosive on the wing with his pace.

In: S.Durdin, Stocker, Dow, Martin, Owies,
Out: Kemp, Cottrell, O'Brien, Honey, C.Durdin

B: Plowman--------------S.Durdin-------------Newman

H: Docherty---------------Young-----------------Saad

C: Newnes----------------Cripps-----------------Dow

H: Silvagni---------------C.Curnow-------------Martin

F: Motlop------------------McKay----------------Owies

Foll: De Koning, Kennedy, Walsh

Bench: Stocker, Hewett, Cerra, Fisher
Dow doesn't have the tank to play wing. That's never going to happen.

He's created some though (Motlop's first, created the spill v 2 Saints for Cottrell's).
Honey might not quite be there yet, but he's got something.

I guess the question is, how are we best off? Getting him more 1s experience, or playing Owies, who is better without the ball, but doesn't have the same ability to create scores like Honey?

I think Owies has shown enough over the year before injury to come back in. Very high in pressure and tackles.

I'd argue Owies has been quite good at creating scores. Usually gets a few shots a game and his i50 kicking is actually great.

I dont think Voss cares about getting senior games into a young player...he will play the best performing player who plays the role and sticks to our values.

I agree Honey is a promising player but think Owies will get the nod this week.

Genuine question inbound….

When Voss says ‘we need to play our way for longer’…..who specially is not doing it? Everyone? Can’t be everyone right? And what is being done wrong? When he says this? Are guys forgetting their role? If it’s just ‘errors’ then I’m not sure what the fix for that is. But is it concentration?

This will be a tough game, no gimme, the Eagles at Optus stadium,
Now fielding a stronger team with, Naitanui tapping to Kelly, Shuey, Redden, Gaff, West it will a challenge for our midfield.
Let’s keep our fingers crossed the team is focused and smarting from the loss to the Saint. Go Blues

Thank **** weitering is back.

Need him for the Kennedy/Darling combo.

Kemp battled manfully but he's not a KPD...Saints went through his man and looked dangerous, with Ryder getting a hold of him.

That left Membrey to also have a big influence.

Genuine question inbound….

When Voss says ‘we need to play our way for longer’…..who specially is not doing it? Everyone? Can’t be everyone right? And what is being done wrong? When he says this? Are guys forgetting their role? If it’s just ‘errors’ then I’m not sure what the fix for that is. But is it concentration?

I think we sakc voss and bring back ratts and fev

Dow doesn't have the tank to play wing. That's never going to happen.
I'm not sure tank is his issue any more. I think it's just not his preferred game style. He prefers to frenetically win the ball and get it going, being highly combative at the contest and then escaping it.

If he was more methodical with how he sets up and how he uses his endurance, I'd imagine he'd be ok on the wing in bursts, likewise up forward. I just think he likes to be a bull at a gate, and it understandable leaves him sapped. windows1 was also commenting the other day that the tackle numbers for him in the reserves might be off? Interested to learn more, perhaps they are reporting completed tackles only?

But thinking about game sense in terms of running I wonder how much footage we've shown him of Judd and Dangerfield over the years? He's not at their level overall, but the way they'd run and pick contests should surely be something he gravitates towards learning as a (still) developing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back