Preview 2022 Rd 23 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday August 21 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1305

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In: Cerra
Out: Newnes

Back this team to get over the Pies. Williams plays 2s, which allows him to play the 2s EF the following week (bye week in seniors). Then cherry ripe to come back for the EF.

If Cerra doesn't get up, side unchanged.
Next week is the elimination final … if Williams is deemed ready he comes in based on his experience and the hope that he won’t crumble under pressure if it’s close …

Next week is the elimination final … if Williams is deemed ready he comes in based on his experience and the hope that he won’t crumble under pressure if it’s close …
Fair argument, but not one I adhere too. Don't think we can carry someone who's missed 12 weeks or so of footy into what, as you say, is an effective elimination final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

U can’t bring him straight in given the level of pressure that will be applied. It will be a seriously hot & contested game, he’s been out for to long
It will be a very dure, high pressure game from the 1st bounce no place for the faint hearted. Frantic pace in the 1st half no doubt , it’s not clear if Cerra with a groin injury, would be guarantee inclusion? cant risk an almost ready to go, really hope our boys get up and are can up to the challenge, Demons game sapped plenty of energy & effort, it was huge.

Fair argument, but not one I adhere too. Don't think we can carry someone who's missed 12 weeks or so of footy into what, as you say, is an effective elimination final.
I understand your point but I’ve just lost faith in more than a few who go to water when composure is required …

Just off last nights performance, we deserve finals. However, we have shot ourselves on the foot with some truly uninspired performances in the past 6 weeks.

If yesterday was was a pressure rating at 7-8. Next week is going to be a 10.

• We need to win to make finals
  • Its against the scum
  • In front of the largest crowd these boys will have played so far in their career

Have the boys finally found something within themselves and each other? Have the coaches found something with the midfield mix (really well coached game)?

It’s going to be scenes after we pump those campaigners. Bring it on!

Would disagree here: can hit a pass to a direct lead decently but often struggles otherwise.

His strength is conversion when he gets chances inside 50.

That's what I am talking about - but I don't think he does it well enough in the back half to say he good at that.

Williams isn’t named for vfl is he? He won’t be coming straight in to the 1s

You may need to roll the dice and play him for these reasons:
  • Looking at injury list from last week. Boyd & Newman 2 to 3 weeks away. Saad needs help. If you have an eye on going deep into finals you may need to roll the dice.
  • It looks like Hewett & Kennedy may struggle to come back this season. The Doc may need to play more midfield. And it would allow Stocker to pinch hit in midfield at times.
  • A lot of times, when a player comes back from a long term injury, his first game back can be pretty good. It's the 2nd week back the body says what the hell just happened. In this case he will have 2 weeks off and a game under his belt before 1st final.
  • You make Newnes sub as a back up wing/defender

If Williams is available roll the dice and play him as there is no next week if we lose and he’s the perfect replacement for Newnes who moves to the sub role and is clearly not a naturally defender.

The other move I’d make is Cerra for LOB (but stiff). And as a few others have mentioned rotate Cerra and Walsh on one wing and Cotters, Fish and Setters on the other. That would leave Cripps, Setters, Doch (loved him there), Walsh, Fish and Cerra to rotate through the middle.

A few have called for Owies to be dropped, but I’d def be keeping him and whilst he missed a crucial target late it was not a turnover and he did enough right the throughout the game to convince me he stays. He’s also a very good tackler and generally speaking has good touch. Pitto will also be much better for the run and we look so much better in the centre square with him in the middle vs TDK.

I also think If we played Stock, Saad and Williams in the back 6 our team balance is significantly better, especially vs the pies who play smaller in the front half and are very very good with the ground ball.

Cannot wait for next week!

You can just see it next week.

Charlie misses out on the Coleman and we lose.

It’s written somewhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really starting to feel like it's not meant to be. Injuries somehow getting worse, losing the game in that fashion against the reining premiers (at full strength) and then add to that the Dogs barely crawling over the line against a Greene-less Giants at Marvel.

Really starting to feel like it's not meant to be. Injuries somehow getting worse, losing the game in that fashion against the reining premiers (at full strength) and then add to that the Dogs barely crawling over the line against a Greene-less Giants at Marvel.
Well think about it this way - will the Hawks beat them in Tassie with that formline?

Can we beat Collingwood with last week's formline?

The answer to both is yes. Forget about "not meant to be", we need to have belief. Most of all, the players do. Go in with that defeatist attitude and we'll never get anywhere.

Well think about it this way - will the Hawks beat them in Tassie with that formline?

Can we beat Collingwood with last week's formline?

The answer to both is yes. Forget about "not meant to be", we need to have belief. Most of all, the players do. Go in with that defeatist attitude and we'll never get anywhere.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hawks sent some players for early surgeries. Jiath and Lewis already confirmed to miss. No reason we can't win next week hope the players bring that same effort next week

There are three ways to beat teams.

Take the bullets out of their gun. What are their main weapons that we can stop? This is where they are tricky because they aren't relying on individuals a great deal.

They have a sound intercepting game so good deliver, to forwards who work hard and set their leads deep and long should cover that.

They have a group who can win plenty of the ball without regularly needing to win heaps of it. They have some good impact players. DeGoey and Daicos are two you would want to limit the impact of. Pendlebury can cause damage. Sidebottom is really good at exploiting opponents who are unaccountable as he did last time. Adams can win a bit of it. But you probably just play close to them, not tag them. We dominated possession against them last time but no Hewett and Cerra out of form.

They have a few in form forwards. Elliott is in good form. Mihocek is their mainstay. Ginnivan can bob up. Henry kicked a few against us last time.

Collingwood don't really give you a way of taking the bullets out of their gun approach to beat them as they aren't too reliant on individuals.

What are they? They aren't big ball winners or big contested ball winners but they are good in the contest. They are a good turnover side. We must make their intercepting players defend and be accountable. Their defence looms as a weapon to attack from so we need to take that away from them by being really discipline with bringing the ball to ground, applying ground level pressure and kicking well to the forwards.

Beat them at their own game.

This is the way to beat them. Collingwood are a high effort high pressure team. They just get to their opponents quick, they don't rely on first hands on the footy too much, they just lay tackles and elite pressure and turn it over. Part of how they have been able to beat the better teams so much this seasons.

We need to maintain first hands on the ball but our intent to hit bodies, lay tackles and apply pressure needs to be right up there. I know you could say this for most teams but I think we need to give them a taste of their own medicine. They are loving being the hunter and hunting the man but we need to turn it around onto them, play them close, tackle hard, tackle well and chase well.

I think the other thing we need to do is take the game on. Defensive, slow moving around the boundary footy isn't going to work. This is a team that loves the game being defensive. Take risks, switch play, go up the middle and go quick is going to be the key here. Hard to apply pressure if we can keep the game open and flowing.

They are a lot possession team and low clearance team, something we have been pretty good at. They are a high tackling and high pressure team. We are a low pressure and low tackling team. I think to beat them we need to beat them at their own game while maintaining our strengths.

I think this comes down to effort and playing a daring and attacking brand of footy. Try not to get sucked into contested defensive footy too much. Take the game on, take a few risks.

We have to be the better pressure/effort side of the day, no questions asked.

Exploit their weaknesses.

Hard to do. They aren't a big possession or ball wining side. They are a turnover side and an efficient side. So pressure on them and you take the efficiency away.

We exploited their weaknesses last time and still lost, we dominated the possession count but we did nothing with it. This time we need to use it better and really take the game on more, less conservative stuff. Teams have shown that they can be scored against, you can dominate them in the midfield and score heavily against them so that's something we need to do. Almost like we need to wind back the clock to our early rounds and go super aggressive.

They are good at defending their way back into the game and that is when we need to apply the pressure really hard.

I think one of our big forwards are capable of having a day out, there is an opening there.

I think we can have a big intercepting game against them, they aren't overly tall where we are. But pressure comes into this.

B: McGovern Weitering Marchbank
HB: Saad Young Docherty
C: O'Brien Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher Curnow Martin
F: Durdin McKay Silvagni
OB: Pittonet Walsh Kennedy
IC: Williams Cerra Setterfield Motlop
SUB: Stocker

IN:
Williams - I think we roll the dice here. We have missed him a great deal since he was out. Not ideal coming in without a VFL game but comes down to his training.

Kennedy - I think he comes straight back in, strong bodied mid.

OUT:
Newnes - He hasn't been that great, he is a fill in in the end.

Stocker - Thought he was fairly good against Melbourne but he's still lacking the necessary tank and Williams is a level above.

Think Setterfield stays in as a defensive onballer. Releases Cerra to be more attacking hopefully.

It's a quality side, providing those who are coming in aren't too rusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back