Preview 2022 Rd 23 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday August 21 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1305

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the dog's winning margin is the same as last week against GWS, and our losing margin is the same as against melbourne, we are into the finals :D

think id rather just win the game against the pies
Me too! And a whole lot simpler. But just in case, I'm ready...

Really, I think Dogs will smash the Hawks, even in Tassie, so percentage calculations will be irrelevant.

Kemp should be considered for at least the med sub.
When he came back on after his head knock, he was bloody good.

I dont know, i kind of feel more confident in him than many of our starting 22.
I also like that when he makes a mistake, he goes hell for leather to fix it and it lifts him.

Very hard match up too and massively versatile.

This kid will be a hugely important player going forward

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice summation of where we are at and how playing in these big games can lead to bigger things in a few years time.

Owies and Mots set up goals through their pressure. Prime example was the Durdin goal after the Owies smother. Motlop adds class

Owies has been a bit rusty since his return to injury...but so has Weitering, Pitto, Marchbank and Gov. Even Walsh hasn't been the same I reckon since he hurt his ankle, even though he hasn't missed any games.

That kick to Saad and kick to Harry i50 both dropped short but he usually makes those.

I'd back him in, still he's 22 for mine. As you mentioned, his smother was huge.

Me too! And a whole lot simpler. But just in case, I'm ready...

Really, I think Dogs will smash the Hawks, even in Tassie, so percentage calculations will be irrelevant.
Agree with you on the outcome between Dogs and Hawks, it will be a big win for the Bulldogs.
Our game against Pies is slightly more complication, much more at stake for both teams not gonna be easy to knock them off.

Owies has been a bit rusty since his return to injury...but so has Weitering, Pitto, Marchbank and Gov. Even Walsh hasn't been the same I reckon since he hurt his ankle, even though he hasn't missed any games.

That kick to Saad and kick to Harry i50 both dropped short but he usually makes those.

I'd back him in, still he's 22 for mine. As you mentioned, his smother was huge.
That’s why I wouldn’t play Williams I can see him giving away frees and turning it over will too rusty might be fit but won’t have touch
Cerra for Newnes only change

The difference is a rusty Owies is sub-standard.
A smother doesn't make up for his inability to make possessions count.

These numbers will change after the Dogs/Haw game, but as things stand...

View attachment 1478467

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I think there is probably only going to be one change and that will be Cerra in, for who I am not sure, either Newnes or Setterfield. I would guess Newnes.

Collingwood looked like what they are, a team which has got to where it has on sheer effort but ran out of gas against the Swans. The question will be, are they are hardened team or are they a team with too many youngsters and veterans which has been up and about playing hard effort/pressure based footy for too long and is running out of steam. Going up to Sydney to play the Swans is a hard challenge but there is no doubt cracks were showing.

Questions over us as well, are we a team out of steam or have we been bludging for nearly three months and are ready to turn the corner and play good high effort, high intensity, high pressure football again? We sure looked it against Melbourne.

One thing is for sure, we can't be relying on Collingwood being down, we have to bring that effort and intensity we brought against Melbourne. Carlton have had a few talented sides over the last 20 years scattered in amongst some awful ones. I would say backing up effort and playing the way we did against Melbourne week in week out has been our biggest weakness over the last 20 years. As far as I am concerned, if Collingwood can do it for 11 weeks in a row, we can do it for at least 2 to get us into finals.

As far as I am concerned we have the team to do it still. It's missing some solid soldiers. Hewett and Kennedy are big hitters in the middle who we are missing. It's Setterfield's big chance and he was good last week. IMO this is Cerra's chance to step away from close checking footy and get off the chain this week. It's his opportunity to step up as well. If we bring the heat and kick the ball well to our forwards, out in front, never over or on their heads then we win this game. It doesn't sound much but that is where it is for us. Go hard, tackle and pressure hard all game and make our forward game all about leading up and kicking out in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is probably only going to be one change and that will be Cerra in, for who I am not sure, either Newnes or Setterfield. I would guess Newnes.

No way Setterfield is being dropped after the game he had, particularly with Hewett and Kennedy out. Keep him on-ball where he's best, it's not like we have much choice anyway.

Yes, while Collingwood is all about pressure - they can still be cut up. * had them on toast and if it weren't for easy missed shots, they would have won. The same argument can be made for Melbourne too (who had 24 more inside 50s). They are vulnerable against key forwards, we have one of the best combos in the league. Utilise them well enough and we'll win. Though we haven't been doing that all too well, as people have said, bombing it over their heads will mean Collingwood will just rebound it effortlessly.

Only way we'll stifle their gameplan is pressure pressure pressure. What could go in our favour is that they're coming from interstate with a day less. Their "keep it close, roll the dice and take risk" style just isn't sustainable. Their run of wins, in terms of margin, is unprecedented, the fall off was bound to happen. Maybe they are getting tired, but I don't think that's much of a thing, we can say the same about us and these are professional footballers who are preparing for finals so it doesn't make much sense to be "too tired" when things are starting to get ramped up. Unless they have some niggles we don't know about, but again, the same can be said of us.

Getting games into Pitto has been vital, he's getting better and better each week - I think people are underrating his presence. TDK tries hard, but he's not winning the ruck battle which is hampering our mids to get it out. I don't even remember the last time he's had a win against opposition ruckman, maybe the Freo game? What Pitto adds is that big body who can block for Walsh and help Cripps out with the contested work. He can also win a tap.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I've only just seen the images of Voss walking off with the team, arm and arm with Cripps, on Saturday.

A gesture like this says more then any slogans and platitudes.

I'm looking forward to the repsonse.
Lloyd brought it up on the Sunday footy show. Said voss started walking off with his hand in his pockets then turned around and gave all the players at pat on the bum and put his arm and Cripps and walked off together! Got a massive praise for it too

Lloyd brought it up on the Sunday footy show. Said voss started walking off with his hand in his pockets then turned around and gave all the players at pat on the bum and put his arm and Cripps and walked off together! Got a massive praise for it too
I reckon that would be a huge boost for the players. "All in this together" type stuff. Love it

No way Setterfield is being dropped after the game he had, particularly with Hewett and Kennedy out. Keep him on-ball where he's best, it's not like we have much choice anyway.

Yes, while Collingwood is all about pressure - they can still be cut up. * had them on toast and if it weren't for easy missed shots, they would have won. The same argument can be made for Melbourne too (who had 24 more inside 50s). They are vulnerable against key forwards, we have one of the best combos in the league. Utilise them well enough and we'll win. Though we haven't been doing that all too well, as people have said, bombing it over their heads will mean Collingwood will just rebound it effortlessly.

Only way we'll stifle their gameplan is pressure pressure pressure. What could go in our favour is that they're coming from interstate with a day less. Their "keep it close, roll the dice and take risk" style just isn't sustainable. Their run of wins, in terms of margin, is unprecedented, the fall off was bound to happen. Maybe they are getting tired, but I don't think that's much of a thing, we can say the same about us and these are professional footballers who are preparing for finals so it doesn't make much sense to be "too tired" when things are starting to get ramped up. Unless they have some niggles we don't know about, but again, the same can be said of us.

Getting games into Pitto has been vital, he's getting better and better each week - I think people are underrating his presence. TDK tries hard, but he's not winning the ruck battle which is hampering our mids to get it out. I don't even remember the last time he's had a win against opposition ruckman, maybe the Freo game? What Pitto adds is that big body who can block for Walsh and help Cripps out with the contested work. He can also win a tap.

I would hope Setterfield stays in too, he releases Cerra into more an attaching role. He played fairly well and being physical comes naturally to him.

The way to beat a team that bases it's game on pressure is to bring an equal or greater amount of physicality and pressure to them. That and work them over and make defending hard work which means fast and aggressive ball movement, take risks up the middle and switch play a lot. This is one of those teams where a bit of old fashioned front running footy might work. Aggression and intensity at the contest aggressive and fast ball movement and hard forward running. Make them work hard to defend.

Remember the last 10 minutes of the game when we played them last, we switched from possession and tempo footy to going up the middle, taking risks, going forward quickly and being aggressive/more intense at the contest and we were all over them, really made them crumble and we nearly pinched it.

It's the simple stuff we are all told as juniors, kick it to the forwards advantage, put it out in front. It was clear that's been spoken about with us. McKay gave someone a bake for kicking it on his head and we looked to be setting our forwards deeper, leading up harder and making more effort to put it out in front. We need to improve on that, do it and it takes their intercepting game away and it brings the talls and smalls into the game.

I hope they try and play aggressive against us and we put them under pressure. Our defence is a sleeping giant in terms of it's intercepting ability. It's been made to defend by some very good and tall forward lines the last few weeks but they don't have that. Ill directed kicks going forward with a smaller forward line will be picked off by Young, Weitering, Marchbank, McGovern, Docherty etc. But the heat needs to come from up field.

I agree, bringing back players like Marchbank, McGovern, Pittonet, Owies, Martin probably a little early means they now have AFL games under their belt. They are due to come good. Pittonet when fit is a great asset for us. You're right TDK hasn't reached the heights required yet, up forward or in the ruck, he's just a highlights reel who tries hard at this stage. Build on that next season.

You can't write off Collingwood, they have earned that, but would not be surprised if we give them a touch up. If we play the way we did against Melbourne with that level of intensity and we just tidy up a few things then I think this game is there for the takings.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I've only just seen the images of Voss walking off with the team, arm and arm with Cripps, on Saturday.

A gesture like this says more then any slogans and platitudes.

I'm looking forward to the repsonse.

Just have to come out for four quarters like against the Dees slow. We all want that to give this upcoming game a real shake.
And yeah a picture worth many words.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In: Williams, Cerra
Out: Newnes, Owies/Durdin, Dow (unused sub)

Williams Weitering Marchbank
McGovern Young Saad

Pittonet Walsh Docherty
Cerra Cripps Cottrell

Silvagni Curnow Martin
Motlop McKay Owies/Durdin

Setterfield O'Brien Stocker Fisher

Sub: Owies/Durdin

Prepared to take the risk on Williams especially. He might be underdone but we have Stocker on the bench. Williams has the pace that we need back there to take the pressure off Saad having to do all the work.

Doc at the stoppages again thanks. Looks way better in there.

We have Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Fisher and Martin doing the small man stuff up forward and down the ground and the productivity isn't there for 5 spots to be taken up. I think Motlop always looks the most threatening and has some sublime ball handling skills. They can choose which one of Owies or Durdin plays and the other becomes the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back