Preview 2022 Rd 6 Carlton vs Fremantle - Saturday 23rd April 7.40PM @ Optus Stadium - Team Post #774

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Gov back too but let’s not overrate him due to his absence. With a free intercept role he has only been able to average 13.5 possessions. We want to see some games where he hits 20 plus like Lever. If we check the benchmark of levers 21 season, McGovern needs to increase his game day tackles threefold. Let’s not forget how important tackles are to a role where you are a defender.

This is not attributed to McGovern…but I suspect one portion of the blame for fade-outs is the makeup of our defenders. If you look at our list of defenders: Young, Omac, Weitering, Newman, McGovern, Docherty, Saad, Williams, Plowman...which of these players really like the grit of hardball gets. Who likes the lockdown role. Only Omac is naturally inclined for lockdown. All the rest bar none would prefer a handball receive and play distributor. Weitering included. Weitering, Williams and Saad can play lockdown but it doesn’t mean it’s their preferred option.

If we fire up after a loss, they all go for the ball. But what about when we get ahead of ourselves like GC, then the lack of grit of our defenders shows up. Everyone wants to leave that role for someone else.

Austin has a job to do. Our tall defenders look very soft physically if it’s going to be Young and Plowman in our side. I don’t think McGovern adds any hardness either.

Stocker is a requirement once fit. I don’t know about Marchbank because it’s been so long.
I rather think you're being a mite selective when talking about Gov's disposals. He's averaging 13.5 disposals sure, but when you break down the stats, he's kicking 90% of the time, and going at 12 effective disposals per game. When Gov kicks the ball, he's not always taking on the safest option, either; he kicks the ball and takes the best option to set us up. He makes Williams, Saad, Docherty and Weitering more dangerous, because when he kicks the ball we're out. That's not even taking his intercepting into account.

While overrating his contribution is a potential problem, underestimating it doesn't help either.

Last edited:
I rather think you're being a mite selective when talking about Gov's disposals. He's averaging 13.5 disposals sure, but when you break down the stats, he's kicking 90% of the time, and going at 12 effective disposals per game. When Gov kicks the ball, he's not always taking on the safest option, either; he kicks the ball and takes the best option to set us up. He makes Williams, Saad, Docherty and Weitering more dangerous, because when he kicks the ball we're out. That's not even taking his intercepting into account.

While overrating his contribution is a potential problem, underestimating it is just as bad.

I reckon even after only 2 games, he was starting to have such an influence where if he hadn't gotten injured, our opposition would already have to start planning on how to move the ball away from him, like they do for his brother and Lever types.

We've been missing that, where our defenders can actually dictate where and how our opposition move the footy.

I reckon even after only 2 games, he was starting to have such an influence where if he hadn't gotten injured, our opposition would already have to start planning on how to move the ball away from him, like they do for his brother and Lever types.

We've been missing that, where our defenders can actually dictate where and how our opposition move the footy.
We also miss someone who can get real penetration with the ball. It's one thing to kick 50m on a kick out, it's quite another to kick a missile the way Gov can. Brisbane have used Rich the same way over the last 4 years; sure, the kick-ins can be a cheap disposal, but someone who can kick a 50m pass to a target in which the ball travels quickly is worth their weight in gold really.

While overrating his contribution is a potential problem, underestimating it doesn't help either.

Not sure about being selective but admit I’m going on the eye test while you are hitting me with data. It’s forced me to go and find an angle to respond as my eyes are either deceiving me or there is more to it on the stats front.

Mcgoverns kicking efficiency is off the charts so big tick there but I did find something that referenced my eye test that he is a mixed bag type of guy. If you go and check average stats for clangers and filter on defenders and key defenders then he is top guy. Number 1 for ****ups. I think that is what my eye is telling me. When he gets an average of 13.5 possessions, he either does something really good or on 4 of those occasions royally screws up. 4/13 is a high percent of clangers if you put him up against a guy I rate highly in Docherty.

So like Jones before him, his highlights hide his flaws.

It’s a close run thing being negatively selective or having rose coloured glasses. Having said all that, I want him in to see more of what he has to offer.

Last edited:
The defenders weren't the issue in our GC loss
This is a hard one for me to respond to because of the effort involved in illustrating what I want to say. So due to that effort, I concede. I would like to concede with a caveat in that I didn’t say it was ‘the reason’ we have second half fade-outs. I did say a ‘portion’ of the blame. It is an important aspect here in my surrender to your wordy insight.

Not sure about being selective but admit I’m going on the eye test while you are hitting me with data. It’s forced me to go and find an angle to respond as my eyes are either deceiving me or there is more to it on the stats front.

Mcgoverns kicking efficiency is off the charts so big tick there but I did find something that referenced my eye test that he is a mixed bag type of guy. If you go and check average stats for clangers and filter on defenders and key defenders then he is top guy. Number 1 for fu**ups. I think that is what my eye is telling me. When he gets an average of 13.5 possessions, he either does something really good or on 4 of those occasions royally screws up. 4/13 is a high percent of clangers if you put him up against a guy I rate highly in Docherty.

So like Jones before him, his highlights hide his flaws.

It’s a close run thing being negatively selective or having rose coloured glasses. Having said all that, I want him in to see more of what he has to offer.
Bear in mind, frees against count as clangers; concedes 2 frees against a game, so 2 mistakes with ball in hand.

I can't remember a free from him resulting in a goal though, which you would think has happened if he's conceding frees back there. Most KPD/defenders play as closely within the rules as they can these days, to minimize the risk.

But then, we're also talking about two games here. Needs a larger sample size anyway.

Yes agree. And we all expect him to improve. I think with the clangers and lower possession counts then my original point is not outlandish. He is good, bad and ugly in my mind...and on occasion, amazing. All of these things were the same for L Jones but in a different way.

I need more evidence before I go ‘jeez, we so need McGovern back or we are doomed’. That was my original point.

Just checked another stat. McGovern on averages for defenders is last on tackles. I dont tend to like defenders who don’t want to tackle.

Technically only 1 & a half lol.

Obviously made an impact though for so many of us posters saying we are so much better with him in the side.

Does that 1.5 games mean his clangers is even higher per minute played then?

It’s not about being better than McGovern. Geth was holding me to account on my statement. Hence the discussion that followed.

McGovern's highlights are packaged on the AFL site. He predominantly kicked long to a pack/contest.

A couple of points though, Hewett was in the top 3 players on the ground (as adjudged by both coaches).

And while Kennedy was more productive when Cripps was playing (rounds 1-3), the first 2 games we only played 4 mids, Walsh (1) and Cerra (2) missed. And those 2 players were pushed out of the square more against Hawthorn (and Cerra had particularly low TOG).

Who would you drop this week to bring Cripps in?
Kennedy. As a wiser man for shadowed last week….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im here on holiday with the family, flying back from Broome on Saturday, so not here specifically for the game. If I miss a quarter or two, it’s no big deal, just excited to go.
Oh dear Dane..
No big deal if you miss the 1st q or 2...
Really?
Have you seen Carlton this year?
:grinv1: :D :D :joycat: :p :straining:

The weight of expectation may be too great for a developing Freo side. I imagine the media over there would be intensely positive and high on expectation.

On the other hand, our players will feel almost like we lost (which we almost did!). We should be primed to perform at a higher level for longer.

While these factors are at the edges, I do think that they favour us. Footy is often won or lost above the shoulders.

It should be a great game. Looking forward to it!

Note, they have Joel Corey as one of their developmental coaches, plus Tendai Mzungu. Don't know much about other developmental coach Adam Read.But still, some handy backup....
Thinking it might be
200.gif

We also miss someone who can get real penetration with the ball. It's one thing to kick 50m on a kick out, it's quite another to kick a missile the way Gov can. Brisbane have used Rich the same way over the last 4 years; sure, the kick-ins can be a cheap disposal, but someone who can kick a 50m pass to a target in which the ball travels quickly is worth their weight in gold really.
You’re 100% right, I think even more so given our marking power up forward. We are pretty much unstoppable if the ball gets to CHF quickly. We need to get the ball out & stop stuffing around in our back line. It’s been our down fall in the second half/weak quarters, we need someone kicking it out hard, flat & quick.

It’s quite astounding how WC have been decimated but Freo practically untouched with Covid

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A lot of the West Coast guys have young kids who are more likely to bring Covid home from daycare or school.

The dockers are a much younger cohort with only Mundy and Walters having kids.

I think that he's going better than most here think. Its just that his mistakes are glaring. That holding the ball on Saturday was glaring. Overshadows a lot of the good. In reality it was just a free against, one of many. Felt like more though.
The problem for him is so far his best has just been ok, yet the bad is glaring.

Like you say that free was only 1 free kick, but it was a very bad free kick at an even worse time. What makes it worse for Setters is I don't think people were particularly surprised it was him getting pinged that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back