Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking Kempy is a patient and unassuming lad. Seems to play very conservatively, playing percentages rather than backing himself in. Presenting and playing a role forward through most of the reserves’ season. Similarly when back he plays it safe, using his game smarts to act as a sweeper rather than being proactive and operating as an interceptor. Think he is more defender than forward on the samples to date.

Would honestly like to see him play a block in the guts in the twos. Not suggesting he can break in to our midfield as things sit, but feel he needs to play more instinctively. Too long in rehab being “schooled“ on the theory of the game to fill his days beside his physical therapy. Seems to have a little “writer’s block”. Put him in the middle for a quarter, a half of the resizes games, and allow him to back himself in close quarters and then intercept when down back, not be last man standing. His game needs to be more expansive, not ultra accountable. Just the impression I get, taking on “too much“ responsibility, let him PLAY.
Will be a great long term player for us- probably not AFL fit yet for either end. That said I thought his game against St. Kilda in pre-season was very good.

Massive danger game for us this week. We’ll need to play four good quarters of footy to win this, particularly after the Giants touched them up on the weekend

I reckon you missed a couple of other footy clichés in that post.

We’ll smash all four of those sides!

And we’ll be complaining about being the worst 9-2 side in the comp.

Couldn’t agree more. I can see a 100 point shellacking against the Pies. We will ****ing embarrass them!

Can see merit in moving Cerra or Walsh to the wing, but don’t think it’s that straightforward.

Midfield is different to playing on a wing, it’s not a like for like swap. Voss seemingly has our wingers playing wide and focused heavily on defence.

Moving a good midfielder to the wing will almost definitely weaken our midfield while also minimising the impact than midfielder has on the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hmmm interesting...makes sense,the wingers have not been dominant at all in 2022...the defensive mindset would validate that.
in that case would like to see setterfield tackle more.....he is a good winger and can get a lot better,he is a much bigger body than LOB
Season 2022 Totals/Averages​
SETTERFIELD.
GMKHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AF *SC *
Total6644010425041120046161314384353
Average610.76.717.34.200.70.22.0000.71.02.72.22.364.058.8

LOB tackles even less than Setterfield however has provided similar stats in other areas
Season 2022 Totals/Averages​
LOB
GMKHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AF *SC *
Total5593089261636054315147341323
Average511.86.017.85.20.21.20.61.201.00.80.63.02.81.468.264.6

If CFC will have a crack at some entry into the finals phase we need to set up our wing contribution,a good winger can dictate to a game,i dont think we have that much mid depth... it says it all that Walsh hasnt nailed a winger spot which would suit him instead they got him doing a lot of inside work at the coalface.I think Setterfield has good run and is a good kick and excellent tackle,he needs to step it up...must be potential there ,also LOB with his run and solid left boot needs to become more solid with the pressure in in tough games he also needs to step it up ....a lot
For wingers is all about tank ...they roam from defense into attack....if we can get a tank into Setterfield ,get him as fit as LOB who is one of the fittest and best runners at the club....he would be close.

Last edited:
Really, really need to get the win against the Crows. 6 and 2 sends a message to all the other teams.

By rights, should be a comfortable win and the Crows aren't a bogey side like North...it's in Melbourne, roof will be closed, we should get Hewett back in and hopefully won't lose Young.

Our midfield really should be able to dominate theirs, short of TDK having a shocker. The lad looks up for the challenge presently (thankfully). Reckon O'Brien is an easier match up for him than old Goldy.

Their prime movers are few - Laird, Keys and Crouch. Keys their best presently imo (and kudos to him). P/T job for George if necessary.

Up forward it's really just the same old Taylor Walker show - job for Weiters....

Young a super match up for Himmelberg (the latter is 200 odd?). God know who we play on him if Young misses....

Butts and Frampton vs. Charlie and Big H? Who's your money on?

Brodie Smith will surely miss too.

Lose it though and we are right back in the muddle....

Thinking Kempy is a patient and unassuming lad. Seems to play very conservatively, playing percentages rather than backing himself in. Presenting and playing a role forward through most of the reserves’ season. Similarly when back he plays it safe, using his game smarts to act as a sweeper rather than being proactive and operating as an interceptor. Think he is more defender than forward on the samples to date.

Would honestly like to see him play a block in the guts in the twos. Not suggesting he can break in to our midfield as things sit, but feel he needs to play more instinctively. Too long in rehab being “schooled“ on the theory of the game to fill his days beside his physical therapy. Seems to have a little “writer’s block”. Put him in the middle for a quarter, a half of the resizes games, and allow him to back himself in close quarters and then intercept when down back, not be last man standing. His game needs to be more expansive, not ultra accountable. Just the impression I get, taking on “too much“ responsibility, let him PLAY.

Kemp for me is the one black mark against Voss so far.

Kemp played really well as an AFL level half-back last year. Then this year we make him a key forward where he looks undersized and ill-suited yet we seem to be just persisting with it.

I'd much rather watch him run around in the senior team across half back than Newman / Plow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crom will be up for it, they won’t take us lightly like they did with the Giants.

We need a strong first quarter to take the sting out the game.

Hopefully young gets off, Hewitt should be back and Williams an outside chance.

Can’t see anymore changes than that…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kemp played really well as an AFL level half-back last year. Then this year we make him a key forward where he looks undersized and ill-suited yet we seem to be just persisting with it.

I'd much rather watch him run around in the senior team across half back than Newman / Plow.
It's surprising given he seems like a similar player to Burton from Port Adelaide. Tall rebounding defender with a beautiful kick.

I initially liked the idea of Kemp forward as its not the worst idea to stack your forward half with talent rather than battlers. However I think we need him to play defence until/if Marchbank and McGovern return.

So we didn't challenge for Stocker and he isn't playing and he does have a sore shoulder?
So confused..
Didn't everyone say Voss reckons he's right to play this week?
Or was that someone else?
:think:

I think I remember something from the club early in the year saying he was going to be playing forward and pushing up into the middle to work on his midfield craft as well. Not ready for full time midfield minutes, but playing down back wasn't going to allow for as much general midfield play or something like that I guess. Not sure how much of that midfield time has eventuated though.

How did Jack Carroll not get the Rising Star nod? 19 disposals plus a goal and 3 goal assists was absolutely outstanding.

Horn-Francis was decent with 20 disposals but nowhere near as damaging from similar pos numbers.

He seems like your typical man-child who dominates at junior level because of their physique. Didn't look to have the break-away speed I expected. More like Ziebel than Dangerfield.

It's surprising given he seems like a similar player to Burton from Port Adelaide. Tall rebounding defender with a beautiful kick.

I initially liked the idea of Kemp forward as its not the worst idea to stack your forward half with talent rather than battlers. However I think we need him to play defence until/if Marchbank and McGovern return.
I don't mind they've persevered with it a little bit.

There's nothing worse than trying something for 2 weeks and abandoning it. You've given him no time to learn and develop in the role, hoping only for instant impact.

A good month and a bit is enough time to see if it's working and if it's worth continuing with. I think by now we've seen that no, he should go back to what he does best.

I think I remember something from the club early in the year saying he was going to be playing forward and pushing up into the middle to work on his midfield craft as well. Not ready for full time midfield minutes, but playing down back wasn't going to allow for as much general midfield play or something like that I guess. Not sure how much of that midfield time has eventuated though.

I watched the VFL live on the weekend. I don't know if Kemp was even playing.

Philp is absolutely nowhere near it. Not sure what's going on there - looked a shadow of his former self.

So we didn't challenge for Stocker and he isn't playing and he does have a sore shoulder?
So confused..
Didn't everyone say Voss reckons he's right to play this week?
Or was that someone else?
:think:

Think that was Voss talking about Hewett. Mixed messaging, with someone here saying they saw him during the week and he looked really proppy, but Voss saying it was just a corky and that they expected him to be right for this week.

I watched the VFL live on the weekend. I don't know if Kemp was even playing.
Kemp did play, he only had 9 touches
:oofff:

Even Mirkov had more

Outside of the GWS game, Crows have been pretty good this year. Gotta be switched on from the opening bounce.

Hewett to Laird or Keays.

Brodie Smith out is a big advantage for us.

Weiters to re-discover his form against the racist piece of shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back