Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that was Voss talking about Hewett. Mixed messaging, with someone here saying they saw him during the week and he looked really proppy, but Voss saying it was just a corky and that they expected him to be right for this week.
Ahhh!
Hewett!
Ok great. Yep. Now I remember.
Let's hope Stocker's shoulder isn't too bad.

Kemp for me is the one black mark against Voss so far.

Kemp played really well as an AFL level half-back last year. Then this year we make him a key forward where he looks undersized and ill-suited yet we seem to be just persisting with it.

I'd much rather watch him run around in the senior team across half back than Newman / Plow.
Thats because there are " NO" KEY FORWARDS available in the 2s. just creating an option with no height down forward

How did Jack Carroll not get the Rising Star nod? 19 disposals plus a goal and 3 goal assists was absolutely outstanding.

Horn-Francis was decent with 20 disposals but nowhere near as damaging from similar pos numbers.

He seems like your typical man-child who dominates at junior level because of their physique. Didn't look to have the break-away speed I expected. More like Ziebel than Dangerfield.

Yeah, at face value...

Horne-Francis: 20 disposals (10 contested), 55% DE, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 4 I50s, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 6 clangers, 0 goals, -2 free differential (2 for, 4 against), 400 metres gained

Carroll: 19 disposals (5 contested), 63% DE, 8 marks, 1 tackle, 5 I50s, 8 score involvements, 4 clearances, 1 clanger, 1 goal, 0 free differential (none for or against), 411 metres gained

The only notable measure that Horne-Francis won was the disposal count (by 1) and the contested/uncontested ratio. Broke even on tackles (despite JHF playing a contested game and Carroll playing wide). Carroll had him covered everywhere else.

JHF got it on his body of work so far I guess. Its always a little political with these things. Don't want the number one pick stringing together a month and a half of good games (for a first year player) and not getting the nom somewhere. Could even be some pressure from the betting agencies - wouldn't put it past the AFL to manipulate the market a little bit on behalf of some of their biggest marketing partners.

Yeah, at face value...

Horne-Francis: 20 disposals (10 contested), 55% DE, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 4 I50s, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 6 clangers, 0 goals, -2 free differential (2 for, 4 against), 400 metres gained

Carroll: 19 disposals (5 contested), 63% DE, 8 marks, 1 tackle, 5 I50s, 8 score involvements, 4 clearances, 1 clanger, 1 goal, 0 free differential (none for or against), 411 metres gained

The only notable measure that Horne-Francis won was the disposal count (by 1) and the contested/uncontested ratio. Broke even on tackles (despite JHF playing a contested game and Carroll playing wide). Carroll had him covered everywhere else.

JHF got it on his body of work so far I guess. Its always a little political with these things. Don't want the number one pick stringing together a month and a half of good games (for a first year player) and not getting the nom somewhere. Could even be some pressure from the betting agencies - wouldn't put it past the AFL to manipulate the market a little bit on behalf of some of their biggest marketing partners.
Not even including Carroll's 3 Goal Assists to 0

Really, really need to get the win against the Crows. 6 and 2 sends a message to all the other teams.

By rights, should be a comfortable win and the Crows aren't a bogey side like North...it's in Melbourne, roof will be closed, we should get Hewett back in and hopefully won't lose Young.

Our midfield really should be able to dominate theirs, short of TDK having a shocker. The lad looks up for the challenge presently (thankfully). Reckon O'Brien is an easier match up for him than old Goldy.

Their prime movers are few - Laird, Keys and Crouch. Keys their best presently imo (and kudos to him). P/T job for George if necessary.

Up forward it's really just the same old Taylor Walker show - job for Weiters....

Young a super match up for Himmelberg (the latter is 200 odd?). God know who we play on him if Young misses....

Butts and Frampton vs. Charlie and Big H? Who's your money on?

Brodie Smith will surely miss too.

Lose it though and we are right back in the muddle....

Already banked this one and about to look up who we have the following week.

Other than when JSOS schooled him, really wouldn't have known JHF was playing frankly.
I don't know about that. He broke a few tackles from big mids - Kennedy probably the most notable - and broke free from a Cripps tackle enough to get a centre clearance.

Granted his extra curricular stuff was more notable than his game, but it's not as though you wouldn't have noticed him, he did make a few strong plays.

I don't know about that. He broke a few tackles from big mids - Kennedy probably the most notable - and broke free from a Cripps tackle enough to get a centre clearance.

Granted his extra curricular stuff was more notable than his game, but it's not as though you wouldn't have noticed him.

just telling it as I saw it.

but haven't watched a replay yet...

How did Jack Carroll not get the Rising Star nod? 19 disposals plus a goal and 3 goal assists was absolutely outstanding.

Horn-Francis was decent with 20 disposals but nowhere near as damaging from similar pos numbers.

He seems like your typical man-child who dominates at junior level because of their physique. Didn't look to have the break-away speed I expected. More like Ziebel than Dangerfield.

Outside of the first couple of weeks, the Rising Star noms are usually always cumulative. JHF's first six weeks vs one game from Carroll. He was always going to be up against it.

And you're gonna look incredibly silly with this take on JHF. Future Brownlow medallist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it’s worth, JHF’s ‘junior level’ was playing playing for the Glenelg seniors in the SANFL from age 16.

Kemp did play, he only had 9 touches
:oofff:

Even Mirkov had more
they took him off the ground at half time, probably for some extra emergency coverage on the seniors with Williams’ late withdrawal

Walker is their key.
BOG 3 games in a row for a 4 point loss away to *, 19 point win at home against Tiges, and 1 point win against Dogs at the Rat.
Weiters needs to blanket him.
And therein lies our trouble... Walker, though not particularly tall, demands the full attention of our best defender. Weiters goes to him, and runs with him all day.

So who takes Himmelberg? At 200cm, it's a bit of an ask for a mid-size defender like a Parks, Plowman or Kemp. And then there's every chance Thilthorpe could be back as well.

If Young is out, we'll be in deep trouble down back. Even if he is in, we'll still be stretched if Thilthorpe plays. We just don't have anyone else we can bring in. We have seven players on our list at 196cm or taller - Mirkov, Pitto, TDK, H, Weiters, McDonald & Young. Mirkov is not ready, and Pitto & OMac are injured. Ideally we'd like to play 5 of the 7, 4 is ok. If Young is out, we're down to 3, and that spells trouble.

I think we're going to see teams try to take advantage of our lack of height over the coming weeks. This week will be a indication of how we can respond to that.

And therein lies our trouble... Walker, though not particularly tall, demands the full attention of our best defender. Weiters goes to him, and runs with him all day.

So who takes Himmelberg? At 200cm, it's a bit of an ask for a mid-size defender like a Parks, Plowman or Kemp. And then there's every chance Thilthorpe could be back as well.

If Young is out, we'll be in deep trouble down back. Even if he is in, we'll still be stretched if Thilthorpe plays. We just don't have anyone else we can bring in. We have seven players on our list at 196cm or taller - Mirkov, Pitto, TDK, H, Weiters, McDonald & Young. Mirkov is not ready, and Pitto & OMac are injured. Ideally we'd like to play 5 of the 7, 4 is ok. If Young is out, we're down to 3, and that spells trouble.

I think we're going to see teams try to take advantage of our lack of height over the coming weeks. This week will be a indication of how we can respond to that.
Don't worry. They're not that good, especially away from home.

They have plenty more players to worry about than we do.

If they want to go that tall them let them. Our small running defenders will feast every time the ball hits the ground.

Its not like they're contested markers like Harry or Charlie. Tex is a lead up mark, Himmelberg is physically unbalanced and can be pushed off the spot fairly easily and Thilthorpe is still very young.

Unless those 3 suddenly start plucking contested marks all over the place I think it'll be a miss-match in our favour.

I'm fairly interested to see who Butts goes to - likely Harry - he's a very good young defender. Gone under the radar a bit but he's a 10 yr full-back for them. That leaves Frampton on Charlie which could be interesting. Frampton has had ups and downs so far and is still learning the role - looks promising but still definitely in the learning phase. I'd love to see Charlie get up the field and back inside 50. 1 Frampton would likely get a little lost, and 2 I reckon he'd be run off his feet. Doubt he's ever had an opponent with that running capacity.

If they want to go that tall them let them. Our small running defenders will feast every time the ball hits the ground.

Its not like they're contested markers like Harry or Charlie. Tex is a lead up mark, Himmelberg is physically unbalanced and can be pushed off the spot fairly easily and Thilthorpe is still very young.

Unless those 3 suddenly start plucking contested marks all over the place I think it'll be a miss-match in our favour.

I'm fairly interested to see who Butts goes to - likely Harry - he's a very good young defender. Gone under the radar a bit but he's a 10 yr full-back for them. That leaves Frampton on Charlie which could be interesting. Frampton has had ups and downs so far and is still learning the role - looks promising but still definitely in the learning phase. I'd love to see Charlie get up the field and back inside 50. 1 Frampton would likely get a little lost, and 2 I reckon he'd be run off his feet. Doubt he's ever had an opponent with that running capacity.

Reckon in a 100m race, Harry would have run about 150m before Frampton gets 50m!

And if Butts gets Harry, he'll be monstered.

Perhaps the day when H reaches double figures...

Reckon in a 100m race, Harry would have run about 150m before Frampton gets 50m!

And if Butts gets Harry, he'll be monstered.

Perhaps the day when H reaches double figures...
Butts is better than you give him credit for, but whoever plays on Frampton I think will expose his inexperience.

If Harry ever was to reach double figures it should've been vs North when he was playing on a midfielder!

Last edited:

20 disposals at 55%de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back