Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of the first couple of weeks, the Rising Star noms are usually always cumulative. JHF's first six weeks vs one game from Carroll. He was always going to be up against it.

And you're gonna look incredibly silly with this take on JHF. Future Brownlow medallist.

So if Carroll gets injured next week and can't play again for the year he effectively misses out on a RS nom he rightfully should have had.

Outside of the first couple of weeks, the Rising Star noms are usually always cumulative. JHF's first six weeks vs one game from Carroll. He was always going to be up against it.

And you're gonna look incredibly silly with this take on JHF. Future Brownlow medallist.
I always thought the body of work only came into play in the second half of the season, or if it's a bit of a quiet week for the eligible players who haven't got one yet?
I get that there can be conjecture in some weeks when a couple players from different games play well and are both deserving, but when two guys play in the same game and one has a clearly bigger impact? Despite them having similar disposal numbers, there really wasn't much to argue. Carroll had the better game. The only people who are arguing otherwise, seem to be all North supporters.
Barring injury, JHF will likely play almost every game and is a chance to win it. He would've got a nom at some point. While Carroll looked great and hopefully holds his spot, playing in a stronger side, with a strong midfield and some more seasoned players to come back in, he may not get as many games as we all hope.

It will only be a close contest if we find ourselves 40 points up at any stage.
I chose to give you no reaction to this.
It's funny 'cause it's true, but it's also sad 'cause it's true.
As Arrow said, if we can keep battling away and squeezing out some wins while we're up and down and still learning Voss' style, we should start to get better in that regard.

Butts is better than you give him credit for, but whoever plays on Frampton I think will expose his inexperience.

If Harry ever was to reach double figures it should've been vs North when he was playing on a midfielder!

Haven't seen much of Butts, but the fact remains Harry is considerably heavier, taller, faster, likely stronger and more experienced.

And a far better mark!

How did Jack Carroll not get the Rising Star nod? 19 disposals plus a goal and 3 goal assists was absolutely outstanding.

Horn-Francis was decent with 20 disposals but nowhere near as damaging from similar pos numbers.

He seems like your typical man-child who dominates at junior level because of their physique. Didn't look to have the break-away speed I expected. More like Ziebel than Dangerfield.
Carroll looks the goods. Did not look out of place and looked confident with his disposal and even throwing in a few of his tricks.

He'll have another performance just as good as last week soon enough. Hopefully we don't have to wait more than a few days ;)

Haven't seen much of Butts, but the fact remains Harry is considerably heavier, taller, faster, likely stronger and more experienced.

And a far better mark!
Most key forwards are taller and heavier than key defenders, so it's not that significant of an advantage.

Weiters is only 195cm and the only forward he struggles with seems to be King, who is shorter than Harry, because of his jumping athleticism more than anything else. In fairness to JW it's worth noting it seems like every KPD is struggling against the King boys right now.

Butts is young but is sound enough already especially as a KPD in a poor team. I think Harry will likely get the better of him but I doubt it'll be a mauling.

I could see Charlie going off and getting 7 though. Tbf he probably should've had 8 v North!

Last edited:
Haven't seen much of Butts

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Walker is their key.
BOG 3 games in a row for a 4 point loss away to *, 19 point win at home against Tiges, and 1 point win against Dogs at the Rat.
Weiters needs to blanket him.

This is where it may hurt if Young misses due to his intercept marking, getting in front of Walker to help out.

No Smith or Sloane...if Young gets up we should be looking to win comfortably
Funny how Young has gone from soft, inexperienced dud to now being the difference to the result. All in a month. This place.

Funny how Young has gone from soft, inexperienced dud to now being the difference to the result. All in a month. This place.
When his alternative is injured, and the alternative's backup is injured, and the next best option is to play akuei, it makes a difference.

Less about Young, more about the other injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When his alternative is injured, and the alternative's backup is injured, and the next best option is to play akuei, it makes a difference.

Less about Young, more about the other injuries.
You said "if Young gets up we should win comfortably". What's that imply?

His role is to peel off to be the designated distributor, as he is our most reliable kick deep in defensive 50

If the stats are recorded incorrectly, they would be for all contests

If you can find the footage of him losing a one on one contest from the weekend, I would be interested in seeing it

2:06 - steps into the hole and completely misreads the timing for the incoming kick, drawing his man in the process and taking away any ability Weitering had to spoil Larkey; this is the one that I thought was a 1v1 loss, but clearly I misjudged the first viewing

2:32 - takes his eyes off the ball in the hot area of the stoppage and gets easily sidestepped as a result, resulting in an off-balance arm tackle that's readily broken

5:38 - identifies the need to intercept the I50 kick, but - like so many times in his career - is unable to even look close making the play due to lack of acceleration

There's also plenty of footage of him trailing an opponent more than any other defender when the ball is turned over. I understand the logic of him being the setup kick, but who is instructing him to push past the centre circle so much? Whatever the case, he loses way too many foot races to be able to compete at an AFL standard, and that's reflected in the remainder of his defensive stats.

If we're bringing him in for his ability to be the release option and to scrounge what few 1v1 contests he can get to, I think there are equal or better options sitting in the reserves.

2:06 - steps into the hole and completely misreads the timing for the incoming kick, drawing his man in the process and taking away any ability Weitering had to spoil Larkey; this is the one that I thought was a 1v1 loss, but clearly I misjudged the first viewing

2:32 - takes his eyes off the ball in the hot area of the stoppage and gets easily sidestepped as a result, resulting in an off-balance arm tackle that's readily broken

5:38 - identifies the need to intercept the I50 kick, but - like so many times in his career - is unable to even look close making the play due to lack of acceleration

There's also plenty of footage of him trailing an opponent more than any other defender when the ball is turned over. I understand the logic of him being the setup kick, but who is instructing him to push past the centre circle so much? Whatever the case, he loses way too many foot races to be able to compete at an AFL standard, and that's reflected in the remainder of his defensive stats.

If we're bringing him in for his ability to be the release option and to scrounge what few 1v1 contests he can get to, I think there are equal or better options sitting in the reserves.

I will be the devils advocate, who has better foot disposal in the reserves than him and you would risk in the 1's?

This is gonna be the game where Charlie Curnow reminds the comp how good he is if he hasn’t already. Could be a 6+ game. Blues by 4 goals I like the crows they show a lot of fight

This is gonna be the game where Charlie Curnow reminds the comp how good he is if he hasn’t already. Could be a 6+ game. Blues by 4 goals I like the crows they show a lot of fight
He's equal 3rd on the Coleman. Charlie's return has been better than even us Blues were hoping for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back