Preview 2022 Round 8 Carlton vs Adelaide Sunday 8th May 4:40PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update - Post #689

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is gonna be the game where Charlie Curnow reminds the comp how good he is if he hasn’t already. Could be a 6+ game. Blues by 4 goals I like the crows they show a lot of fight

I think they might be running out of a bit of puff...

Got touched up by a side in 1 qtr of football, I'm hoping we give them a belting...

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF
yeah, you got me. Well played...
I think they might be running out of a bit of puff...

Got touched up by a side in 1 qtr of football, I'm hoping we give them a belting...

Yes, they were playing well above themselves for a time....

GWS deflated that bubble thoroughly. In short order.

Blues by 40+

He's equal 3rd on the Coleman. Charlie's return has been better than even us Blues were hoping for!

Bloody oath, I was down on him big time after the Richmond game and the preseason before that. He’s been bloody awesome since round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2:06 - steps into the hole and completely misreads the timing for the incoming kick, drawing his man in the process and taking away any ability Weitering had to spoil Larkey; this is the one that I thought was a 1v1 loss, but clearly I misjudged the first viewing

2:32 - takes his eyes off the ball in the hot area of the stoppage and gets easily sidestepped as a result, resulting in an off-balance arm tackle that's readily broken

5:38 - identifies the need to intercept the I50 kick, but - like so many times in his career - is unable to even look close making the play due to lack of acceleration

There's also plenty of footage of him trailing an opponent more than any other defender when the ball is turned over. I understand the logic of him being the setup kick, but who is instructing him to push past the centre circle so much? Whatever the case, he loses way too many foot races to be able to compete at an AFL standard, and that's reflected in the remainder of his defensive stats.

If we're bringing him in for his ability to be the release option and to scrounge what few 1v1 contests he can get to, I think there are equal or better options sitting in the reserves.
Your first claim, clearly guessing, was that he gets out-bodied regularly, yet none of these incidents back up your claim, none.

2:06 - Weitering losses Larkey on the lead, not Newman's fault. The very thing you accuse Newman on, was actually on Weitering "trailing an opponent"

2:32 Not took his eyes off his opponent, had to shift his attention to Ziebell as Saab lost contact, again "trailing an opponent"

5:38 Saad overcommits on his direct opponent, Jsos who was closer can't impact the contest, even though he was the spare. Newman left his man and made more ground than JSos

So not only have you falsified "analysis" again, not one shred of evidence that he was out-bodied on the day

Give you a hint, you can list Newman as an out each week, but please don't treat people like fools on this forum. Newman won't be dropped this week or anytime soon. And there is absolutely NO one in the VFL that is even close to the output of Newman as a defender, none

Your first claim, clearly guessing, was that he gets out-bodied regularly, yet none of these incidents back up your claim, none.

2:06 - Weitering losses Larkey on the lead, not Newman's fault. The very thing you accuse Newman on, was actually on Weitering "trailing an opponent"

2:32 Not took his eyes off his opponent, had to shift his attention to Ziebell as Saab lost contact, again "trailing an opponent"

5:38 Saad overcommits on his direct opponent, Jsos who was closer can't impact the contest, even though he was the spare. Newman left his man and made more ground than JSos

So not only have you falsified "analysis" again, not one shred of evidence that he was out-bodied on the day

Give you a hint, you can list Newman as an out each week, but please don't treat people like fools on this forum. Newman won't be dropped this week or anytime soon. And there is absolutely NO one in the VFL that is even close to the output of Newman as a defender, none

The real issue with the 5:38 incident is the insipid defensive effort from Newnes on Thomas, which gave the latter time and space to deliver back inboard with zero pressure. Defenders didn't have a chance, they were all moving to where Thomas should have been forced to deliver the ball.

This is gonna be the game where Charlie Curnow reminds the comp how good he is if he hasn’t already. Could be a 6+ game. Blues by 4 goals I like the crows they show a lot of fight
I've said it a few times, but it really should've been against North. Had 7 goals on a platter but coughed it up.

Would love him to do it this week.

Well, I'd love it any week tpch!

I always thought the body of work only came into play in the second half of the season, or if it's a bit of a quiet week for the eligible players who haven't got one yet?
I get that there can be conjecture in some weeks when a couple players from different games play well and are both deserving, but when two guys play in the same game and one has a clearly bigger impact? Despite them having similar disposal numbers, there really wasn't much to argue. Carroll had the better game. The only people who are arguing otherwise, seem to be all North supporters.
Barring injury, JHF will likely play almost every game and is a chance to win it. He would've got a nom at some point. While Carroll looked great and hopefully holds his spot, playing in a stronger side, with a strong midfield and some more seasoned players to come back in, he may not get as many games as we all hope.
It's nice to be able to play the stronger side, strong midfield and more seasoned players card.

Remember when winning rising star nominations was like a big thing.

It's nice to be able to play the stronger side, strong midfield and more seasoned players card.

Remember when winning rising star nominations was like a big thing.
5 in a year and we would play all our kids for a taste in year 1

Im glad someone like Carroll has come in when we think he's actually best 22 available, regardless of age

It's frustrsting when the older fringe players get preferenced ahead of the talented youngsters but overall selection has been solid

Well lets be honest. Pittonet is injured, Fisher went alright last week, Kennedy not bad and the team was definitely better as opposed to last week when Kennedy didn't play.

The whipping boy wheel of fortune was spun - and the winner was NEWMAN.

I will be the devils advocate, who has better foot disposal in the reserves than him and you would risk in the 1's?
Williamson is one, and I'm confident he'd halve the contests on the same opponents as Newman, while getting more looks at interceptions. I think his mobility also covers the kick over the top more readily.

Kemp is another.

Boyd would be a choice if he could stick to working off his opponent's play until he's more confident. Philp has a lot of the skillset but none of the minutes. Cottrell would be good if he could kick properly on the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you read what I've written so obtusely.

Of course I'm not holding him responsible for everything that's happened in these moments, I'm merely pointing out how he failed in them. For example, Weitering probably had the spoil if Newman hadn't stepped in the way without a plan to attack the ball in the air.

Facing away from the play just to shove your opponent when the ball is still clearly in your area is shitful. You can rush the disposal out, and if your team is well coached they'll be seeking to close down any outlets. He just added to the confusion.

Saad's play got blown up and Jack was on the backfoot sure, Newman read at the right time from an approachable distance but couldn't make a play. That's meant to highlight a very clear deficiency: consistency in his ability to accelerate, and his top speed.

I'll be listing Newman pretty much every game because he's a player with obvious deficiencies that hinders the development of players who are very close to his output that should be getting developed instead. He is to the general defensive pool what Newnes is to the outside midfield rotation.

The real issue with the 5:38 incident is the insipid defensive effort from Newnes on Thomas, which gave the latter time and space to deliver back inboard with zero pressure. Defenders didn't have a chance, they were all moving to where Thomas should have been forced to deliver the ball.

Yeah, sidestepped, not the first player on the night
How can you read what I've written so obtusely.

Of course I'm not holding him responsible for everything that's happened in these moments, I'm merely pointing out how he failed in them. For example, Weitering probably had the spoil if Newman hadn't stepped in the way without a plan to attack the ball in the air.

Facing away from the play just to shove your opponent when the ball is still clearly in your area is shitful. You can rush the disposal out, and if your team is well coached they'll be seeking to close down any outlets. He just added to the confusion.

Saad's play got blown up and Jack was on the backfoot sure, Newman read at the right time from an approachable distance but couldn't make a play. That's meant to highlight a very clear deficiency: consistency in his ability to accelerate, and his top speed.

I'll be listing Newman pretty much every game because he's a player with obvious deficiencies that hinders the development of players who are very close to his output that should be getting developed instead. He is to the general defensive pool what Newnes is to the outside midfield rotation.

There we have it, finally

No matter what Newman does, you will falsify an analysis, to list him as an out

Pretty sad actually

Walker is their key.
BOG 3 games in a row for a 4 point loss away to *, 19 point win at home against Tiges, and 1 point win against Dogs at the Rat.
Weiters needs to blanket him.
Agreed.

Win it in the middle and from stoppages to limit his supply.

Our mids should dominate and H and Charlie will be difficult match ups for them.

Pretty sad actually
I'm not sure I'd bother. Some people see what they want to see. This is a pretty extreme case

Pretty sad actually
The only thing that's sad is that there are people who won't really read my post and instead choose to believe that your 10 word summary is accurate.

This is season #4, the guy is a career backup.

The only thing that's sad is that there are people who won't really read my post and instead choose to believe that your 10 word summary is accurate.

Oh they read your posts, but most can see through your bias

Every coach, coaching group have had Newman in the side, let that sink in

Until someone actually steps up to take his spot, that will continue

This is hard as you do post extended reasons and others do pick an angle of one minor point in the bigger picture to kill your statements off. Some right, some wrong imo. But even taking that into account you need to look inwards I think.

With a full choice of defenders I’m on board with Newman dropping for a stocker. It’s between Newman and Williams on form. And assuming stocker ‘was in good form‘ we need his trait of hardness in our back line. Until this situation arises I don’t see how Newman doesn’t play. Williamson auditioned last year and prior and came up really short as a defender. So until stocker and Williams are ready and in form Newman gets a spot.

The detail you go to for Newman is missing in his potential replacement Options. I can find lots of footage of horrible Plowman and Williamson footage. Boyd, omg. When analysing Boyd for AFL you need to review in physical contest ball and receiver ball. He is progressing ok as a receiver and kicker but in physical interaction footy he is currently a zero at afl level. As a defender you need some physical defensive attributes. Maybe a winger (lob) may be given a pass but not a defender.

For your posting integrity what’s happened with Fisher. He was REALLY good vs North and your analysis or insight should admit if we want to find turnover and rebound goals he is one of our best options going forward for those types of goals. Fishers last 4 games are 6/10, 6.5/10, 1/10 and 7.5/10. Debatable scores a little but mostly thereabouts. Anything over a 6 is typically a net positive impact.

With the Fisher battle on his worth I’ve posted each week. Admitted he was so shit last week and put himself at risk. But his 5 game sample reads ok. With one of our weaknesses rebound or turnover goals you can see he might be one of the keys to unlocking those goals. Carroll and Lob are others.

VFL form you cite is relevant…but it can be very misleading too. Boyd played well in the 2s then horrific in the AFL version. Carroll terrific in the 2s then quite good in the AFL. You cite VFL form a lot but it doesn’t always equate and is unreliable.

This is hard as you do post extended reasons and others do pick an angle of one minor point in the bigger picture to kill your statements off. Some right, some wrong imo. But even taking that into account you need to look inwards I think.

With a full choice of defenders I’m on board with Newman dropping for a stocker. It’s between Newman and Williams on form. And assuming stocker ‘was in good form‘ we need his trait of hardness in our back line. Until this situation arises I don’t see how Newman doesn’t play. Williamson auditioned last year and prior and came up really short as a defender. So until stocker and Williams are ready and in form Newman gets a spot.

The detail you go to for Newman is missing in his potential replacement Options. I can find lots of footage of horrible Plowman and Williamson footage. Boyd, omg. When analysing Boyd for AFL you need to review in physical contest ball and receiver ball. He is progressing ok as a receiver and kicker but in physical interaction footy he is currently a zero at afl level. As a defender you need some physical defensive attributes. Maybe a winger (lob) may be given a pass but not a defender.

For your posting integrity what’s happened with Fisher. He was REALLY good vs North and your analysis or insight should admit if we want to find turnover and rebound goals he is one of our best options going forward for those types of goals. Fishers last 4 games are 6/10, 6.5/10, 1/10 and 7.5/10. Debatable scores a little but mostly thereabouts. Anything over a 6 is typically a net positive impact.

With the Fisher battle on his worth I’ve posted each week. Admitted he was so shit last week and put himself at risk. But his 5 game sample reads ok. With one of our weaknesses rebound or turnover goals you can see he might be one of the keys to unlocking those goals. Carroll and Lob are others.

VFL form you cite is relevant…but it can be very misleading too. Boyd played well in the 2s then horrific in the AFL version. Carroll terrific in the 2s then quite good in the AFL. You cite VFL form a lot but it doesn’t always equate and is unreliable.
I agree with you on VFL form, but I filter through that, I don't get caught up in the stats automatically, I look for things that I think will translate and I will consider why we're not seeing certain things from players that we would consider part of their playing attributes and style.

O'Brien is a player that suffers due to VFL game conditions, for example.

Boyd has to work on physicality at an AFL standard, you're right, and it was costing him free kicks as he tried to remain in contests. I want him to play within himself a bit so that he can put his energies into winning those contests. You know that if he wins the football or helps others win the football then works for the receive, he's going to do something elite with it. That's his development goal for now.

I'm a big believer in Williamson's ability to make good decisions in a defensive role, and to make good decisions with the football in space. We're now seeing him make good decisions under VFL physical pressure, and I think that's enough to suggest his game is pretty rounded. I think people forget he started out playing as a small defender and then injured his back and basically missed 2 years.

He's done all the hard work, the form translates as someone spreading off half-back or rotating mid/forward, but I think we need more mobility in defence.

I agree with you on VFL form, but I filter through that, I don't get caught up in the stats automatically, I look for things that I think will translate and I will consider why we're not seeing certain things from players that we would consider part of their playing attributes and style.

O'Brien is a player that suffers due to VFL game conditions, for example.

Boyd has to work on physicality at an AFL standard, you're right, and it was costing him free kicks as he tried to remain in contests. I want him to play within himself a bit so that he can put his energies into winning those contests. You know that if he wins the football or helps others win the football then works for the receive, he's going to do something elite with it. That's his development goal for now.

I'm a big believer in Williamson's ability to make good decisions in a defensive role, and to make good decisions with the football in space. We're now seeing him make good decisions under VFL physical pressure, and I think that's enough to suggest his game is pretty rounded. I think people forget he started out playing as a small defender and then injured his back and basically missed 2 years.

He's done all the hard work, the form translates as someone spreading off half-back or rotating mid/forward, but I think we need more mobility in defence.

Everything you just posted reads well and is a fair point of view. I too want to see Williamson tried on a wing. And even given another look at half back due to leg speed as he looks/feels improved. But I haven’t forgot that he could only find it 8-12 times a match and got caught on wrong foot and slipped over a lot. I think it is similar to Dow. He just has to wait. It may be that when Williamson gets his chance he explodes for us. But it is really fair sentiment on here that he has to wait.

I agree with your posts that Newman has a ‘trait’ of slowness. He also perseveres at contested footy but would rather be a receiver/rebounder but has to play 4th fiddle behind Saad, Docherty, and Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back