Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson isn't a forward. Taberner is injured half the time. Amiss is still a kid without the physical presence to be a key target in contests, yet.
Jackson or Darcy has to be considered a forward if we are playing both.
We can’t play two pure rucks.
So I’d love to see peoples 22 for R1 if lobb stays and jackson comes in?

Tabs misses out if Lobb stays IMO. If Tabs could stay on the park I would be more comfortable letting Lobb go for a ‘fair trade’. I think some of the expectations of what Lobb are worth, even to us are getting pretty crazy though.

If we get offered pick 15 straight up, I would bite their hand off.

He’s not a pure ruck either, he’s a ‘mid/ruck’ with Darcy being a ‘ruck/forward’ they’ll rotate. It means Amiss, Treacy etc can be pure forwards. Strategically, it could be a real weapon.

Tabs misses out if Lobb stays IMO. If Tabs could stay on the park I would be more comfortable letting Lobb go for a ‘fair trade’. I think some of the expectations of what Lobb are worth, even to us are getting pretty crazy though.

If we get offered pick 15 straight up, I would bite their hand off.
I tend to agree that you could only play one of tabs or Lobb if Lobb stays and for me that would be Tabs though they are both similar enough really. I trust tabs a little bit more if fully fit not to get completely blown away by his opponent on a tough day.
However that still doesn’t answer how Amiss and Treacy fits in..
If we assume Darcy is No 1 ruck and jackson is played as a key position second ruck & forward, to start with at least, our front 6 looks something like this:
Switta Jackson Walters
Frederick Lobb Schultz
IC: Amiss or Treacy.
Peel:
Tabs, Sturt, Banfield, possibly Corbett?? Plus any other forward we may get in the draft.

I didn’t even mention one N Fyfe.

I just don’t know… I don’t think Tabs is ready just yet to be put out to grass and wind down his AFL career at Peel for the next season.
At the risk of starting a heated debate, a fit tabs is still an automatic starter for freo in my view anyway

How about we actually wait until the trade period is done and dusted before we unleash the melts?
aokd.jpg

I think they are trying to do the replum rewire restump like we originally tried. It will take a heap longer to get back in the 8. They may snag 8 wins next year and the year after and the year after that and may just plod along with mediocrity.

Fingers crossed they become the definition of mediocrity in the AFL. They have only rebuilt twice in their history and did it successfully but they seem reluctant.
Nisbitt has lost it.
Too much power for too long.
He is become too comfortable, too many yes men around him.

His empire will crumble..
Just like Vlad Putin..😂😂😂

And yet he managed to take 4 great marks in an EF despite having a short pre season and being badly injured for a substantial part of the year 😉.

I actually have high hopes for Nev to make a real impact next year. Could see 30 goals coming.
He's not someone that's going to be wrestling defenders and bringing the ball to ground though for crumbers if they can't manage to take the grab, that's what I think of as key target.

Also I rate him highly like everyone else but if/when he has 3 or 4 games where he really struggles and goes goalless (like pretty much every young player does as part of the learning process) just watch almost everyone jump off and want to drop him.

I tend to agree that you could only play one of tabs or Lobb if Lobb stays and for me that would be Tabs though they are both similar enough really. I trust tabs a little bit more if fully fit not to get completely blown away by his opponent on a tough day.
If we assume Darcy is No 1 ruck and jackson is played as a key position second ruck & forward, to start with at least, our front 6 looks something like this:
Switta Jackson Walters
Frederick Lobb Schultz
Peel:
Tabs, Sturt, Banfield, possibly Corbett?? Plus any other forward we may get in the draft.

I just don’t know… I don’t think Tabs is ready just yet to be put out to grass and wind down his AFL career at Peel for the next season.
At the risk of starting a heated debate, a fit tabs is still an automatic starter for freo in my view anyway
If Lobb stays then Jackson does play a mid/ruck role and our forward line looks like this:
HF: Walters Lobb Frederick
FF: Amiss Tabs Schultz
Int: Jackson, Switowski
1st in when Lobb or Tabs are injured Treacy

If Lobb stays then Jackson does play a mid/ruck role and our forward line looks like this:
Yep and the chances of Taberner playing 22 games is almost nil so there's the opportunity for the Cyclone T.

4 key forwards and a ruck man (Darcy) in the 22?
To me there is no chance that Jlo does that. He’s a forward pressure man.

Switta Jackson Walters
Frederick Lobb Schultz
Peel:

If all fit Tabs is a lock at FF. Lobb at CHF and Amiss 3rd tall.

Tabs or Lobb will always get the main man leaving Amiss on #2 worst case or #3 in a full on mismatch.

Tabs and Amiss have both shown a propensity to play up the field, with Amiss looking especially good regarding delivery.

Add Darcy resting up fwd to chop one of them out (lets say Tabs to hopefully stave off injury) and you have another mismatch, assuming he recovers his form. Jackson can also swing forward (his contested i50 stat was pretty impressive if I recall) and chop out Darcy in the ruck. Overall you should be able to cut down their TOG and end up stronger at the end of the season.

Also not mentioned Fyfe, who I assume will plug into the side to fill in for Mundy and also be able to drift forward.

If Lobb goes then for me you keep the same structure but go full bore on Treacy's development, but probably chop the young boys out a little more.

What it does do is give us massive marking power all over the ground. Interested to see what JLo does with it.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

4 key forwards and a ruck man (Darcy) in the 22?
To me there is no chance that Jlo does that. He’s a forward pressure man.
Jackson doesn’t go forward unless he’s in the ruck and the ball is down that end, he plays as the 3rd Wing rotation and 2nd Ruck. Allowing the tall forwards to stay in front half, Tabs might have a better chance of playing close to a full season if he isn’t running 15km per game to provide a marking option on defensive wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe she should have thought about her partner being contracted to his job here before taking one for herself on the other side of the country. Hardly some move required for some compassionate grounds like Tim Kelly for example.

I'd prefer to let people go if they want to move but if it is to the detriment to the club and the team then why wouldn't you say no.

He tried to get to gws last year lol. I don't think that's as important as is let on. Classic Colin Young play.

The argument could be made that she could've stayed... seeing as he had 2 years to run on his contract.

The 'legit' reasons to leave are BS as far as I'm concerned. His partner also had a choice. She chose Melbourne and work over staying in WA.

Now they'll be faced with all sorts of options. I hate the narrative 'family' or 'partner' reasons when shes the one who upped and left in the first place.

Yeah, not really fussed. It's all double standards stuff you'd all throw out the window and have thrown out the window if Freo was/is the team benefiting. How many trade hypotheticals on this board are us throwing the kitchen sink at contracted players?

Lobb is moving for a better and longer contract and to live where he and his partner will have better opportunities/financials. He's not killing puppies while he's doing it. He's not the most likeable bloke, I get that and Col is his manager but the trade deals being mentioned on here for him are pretty embarrassing.

A contracted 29 year old Lobb is worth about as much as an uncontracted 24 year old Logue or a contracted 20 year old Jordan Clark. A high second. Our salary management has also been average and has left us exposed to this stuff again and again. Or is that Col's fault as well?

We can hold onto Lobb and that's our right as it is his right to ask for a trade that would suit him better as Jordan Clark did about 12 months ago. Which outcome is going to be better for us in 2-3 years though? The reality is that except for Walters and Fyfe our peak is not for a couple more years.

Jackson doesn’t go forward unless he’s in the ruck and the ball is down that end, he plays as the 3rd Wing rotation and 2nd Ruck. Allowing the tall forwards to stay in front half, Tabs might have a better chance of playing close to a full season if he isn’t running 15km per game to provide a marking option on defensive wing.
I agree that that is how most likely Jackson will play if he gets to us, but we wont play more than 2 tall forwards because it just won't provide enough defensive pressure and speed; Lobb and Taberner or Amiss would be the two talls if Lobb is still with the club.

The argument could be made that she could've stayed... seeing as he had 2 years to run on his contract.

The 'legit' reasons to leave are BS as far as I'm concerned. His partner also had a choice. She chose Melbourne and work over staying in WA.

Now they'll be faced with all sorts of options. I hate the narrative 'family' or 'partner' reasons when shes the one who upped and left in the first place.

Me, old fashioned again. Like Kram said, sign a contract, honour it.

She ( sorry them ), left for Melbourne. The options were, stay in Perth with partner, do a long range relationship. A contract is a term item, deal with the term.

Yep, I’ve experienced a long term relationship. Hard at times, but accepted it was tied into contract terms. Sucked it up and made it work.

God forbid someone in the Freo staff to tell Lobb to get rid of his partner, ... they are distracting him from playing good footy.

I agree that that is how most likely Jackson will play if he gets to us, but we wont play more than 2 tall forwards because it just won't provide enough defensive pressure and speed; Lobb and Taberner or Amiss would be the two talls if Lobb is still with the club.
Yes that’s what I was trying to say but you said it better.
Justin Longmuir will not field a 22 with Sean darcy, Luke Jackson, Rory Lobb, Matt Taberner and Jye amiss all included. I’m certain of that. One of those players will not play if they were all available for selection.
Especially if Fyfe is running around the midfield hunting the footy at the same time.

According to some media outlets Bowes is on $850k for next two years, heavily back-ended deal. They only played him 5 games this year and probably don't need him. They will want the cash space to overpay some of their marquee players coming out of contract soon.

You have to play the PR game a little bit to protect your clubs reputation

Pick 7 makes them look hopeless

Couple of 2nd rounders would still get a bit of interest

And yet he managed to take 4 great marks in an EF despite having a short pre season and being badly injured for a substantial part of the year 😉.

I actually have high hopes for Nev to make a real impact next year. Could see 30 goals coming.
Me too. He protects the drop zone so well.

Could Jackson play wing like Matthew Richardson did late in his career when he almost won the Brownlow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back